Dish: FCC has ‘failed to explain’ need for DBS fee increases

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
n a meeting with FCC officials, Dish Network lawyers said the agency has done little to justify a proposal to increase the amount of regulatory fees satellite operators pay.

“Dish explained that the proposed rate increase only serves to harm consumers, who will ultimately be forced to shoulder the burden of any increased regulatory fees,” Dish said in its ex parte filing. “Among other things, the commission has failed to explain how regulatory developments in the last year justify the dramatic rate increase."
http://www.fiercecable.com/cable/dish-fcc-has-failed-to-explain-need-for-dbs-fee-increases

I see it as a 3¢ per month fee on my bill which started this month or last.

Bad news for DISH, since when does the Government justify anything - taxes, fees, spending.....

Reactions: stardust3
Do you really think most people actually pay that much attention to their bill? Or would bitch about a $0.03 charge? :)

Lloyd from the Pixel

Waiting for someone to chime in and say directv isn't charging for it. :rolleyes:

I think it is totally ironic that DISH is complaining about FEES, considering that they come up with some doozies of their own and then hike them at will. Look at the hopper fees more than doubling in four years: from $7.00 in 2012 to now $15.00 in 2016 with the hopper 3. "Pot meet kettle.":smug

I think it is totally ironic that DISH is complaining about FEES, considering that they come up with some doozies of their own and then hike them at will. Look at the hopper fees more than doubling in four years: from $7.00 in 2012 to now $15.00 in 2016 with the hopper 3. "Pot meet kettle.":smug
I was thinking the same thing.
If Charlie is bitching about a 3 cent FCC fee that his customers have to pay, makes me wonder just how tedious his negotiations are with these networks.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Do you really think most people actually pay that much attention to their bill? Or would bitch about a $0.03 charge? :)

Lloyd from the Pixel
Yeah, right ... I have a 'friend' who I convinced to sign up for Dish over a decade ago (back when it was still under $30/month). He called me two weeks ago to scream at me and beyotch about the three-cent fee as though it was MY fault he has to pay it.

Reactions: jcanavera
I was thinking the same thing.
If Charlie is bitching about a 3 cent FCC fee that his customers have to pay, makes me wonder just how tedious his negotiations are with these networks.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Charlie birches about everything It wouldn't surprise me if he counts the sheets of toilet paper when he uses the rest room.

I don't think it's so much about adding the tax to customers bills, but rather having to collect the tax and remit it to the government.

I see it as a 3¢ per month fee on my bill which started this month or last.
I think most have missed this part of the article.
The FCC required Dish and DirecTV to pay a 12-center per-subscriber fee for the first time in 2015. The agency has proposed upping that fee to 27 cents per sub going forward.

The FCC wants to charge satellite operators a per-subscriber regulatory fee, just as it does for cable and telco TV companie
s.

Reactions: STDog
The reason for the FCC not justifying the charge is they (censured) (expletive) cable industry (censured) (censured) (censured) (expletive) (expletive) (censured). And furthermore, what grinds my gears is that cable (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (censured) (censured) (censured) (expletive) (censured). And, in the words of Forest Gump, "that's all I have to say about" the FCC and increased Satellite fees.

Did I ever mention how much I hate the FCC.

Reactions: Voyager6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)