DISH Fights for a Fair Deal, Tegna Prioritizes Greed above Consumers

If our local Tegna duopoly were still running on dish the lower third on KING might read something like this: "dish REMOVES KING & KONG; THEY DON'T WANT TO PAY".

Turned away from Rachel Maddow (and her new "band-aid") to check on our local Tegna duopoly. Sure enough, weve got The Brian Ney!on Show, aka barker tape, on KING/5 while we get a generic removal slide on KONG/16 (for now). The outage clock has started as of 6 PM PT. Let's see how long it takes for all concerned to make nice.

Fortunately for me I've got backup in CTV and Global from just across the border (big help for Sunday Night Football!), news I can get from KOMO - unless Sinclair decides to pull this same stunt (I don't beleve they and dish have made nice as yet). Lester Holt's newscast I can get from youtube and nbcnews.com if I want to see it. Having an antenna is a great big help. So don't call dish and complain about the Tegna cutoff (don't call unless you call the Tegna station first, better yet not at all). Put up a backup antenna if you can.

Hope Charlie put's it to them. In Columbus, only CBS is/was affected. Of all that had to go, I just checked all my timers and I had a grand total of one (1) show I recorded. A simple add OTA to favorites and just press save series and now I'm recording it OTA.

CBS shot themselves in the foot by taking the prime shows and moving them to CBS All Access which is totally not worth it. The rest of their programming is a vast wasteland.

Right at the top of the hour, bang.. off the air.
Mediacom has had Tegna off the air since January 1st... guess we'll see how long Dish holds out.
I was watching NBC Nightly News, the feed was cut off 10 minutes before 6 PM. What's funny is I saw no dispute crawls or commercials this time and only this afternoon Dish added channel 14 saying to call my station and complain.

I was watching NBC Nightly News, the feed was cut off 10 minutes before 6 PM. What's funny is I saw no dispute crawls or commercials this time and only this afternoon Dish added channel 14 saying to call my station and complain.
Same here (KGW). Sad that they didn't even have the common decency to pull the plug at the end of a show.

If Dish is really fighting to give us a fair deal, they should be cutting our rates while we're missing channels. Of course they won't do this, because they don't really care about the customer any more than any other company does. If companies cared about the customer, they'd all be banding together to deny these greedy channels distribution at all til they agreed to fair rates.

If Dish is really fighting to give us a fair deal, they should be cutting our rates while we're missing channels. Of course they won't do this, because they don't really care about the customer any more than any other company does. If companies cared about the customer, they'd all be banding together to deny these greedy channels distribution at all til they agreed to fair rates.
Well, you can call and ask for a credit. I think when Nexstar went dark and it hit one of our stations in Buffalo, I called (or maybe chatted) and got a $5 credit. The dispute didn't last more than 1 month so I can't say whether I had to ask more than 1 month for it.

We don't know what really is a fair rate and I bet DISH has a different definition of that vs. Tegna.

Divide the $12 locals fee by the number of channels you receive to determine how much of a cut you should get for each channel taken down.

Columbus, Ohio lost WBNS 10 which is CBS. Fortunately Dish has kept the OTA guide data for WBNS channel 10.1. I just finished creating series timers for Young Sheldon, United States of Al, Ghosts, Bull, SWAT, Magnum PI, Blue Bloods, The Equalizer, NCIS Los Angeles, Seal Team, The Neighborhood, Bob Hearts Abishola, NCIS, NCIS Hawaii, FBI, FBI International, FBI Most Wanted, and CSI Vegas.
I guess CBS has a lot of the programs I watch. In the past when Dish had programming disputes they would remove the OTA guide so that you had to create a bunch of manual timers. I am so glad that Dish kept the OTA guide.
Now I need to call Dish and get a credit on my bill for losing one local channel.
Unfortunately due to high call volume Dish is not accepting calls regarding the loss of Local channels so they hung up. I will now call back and just ask for billing.
I talked to a nice agent and received a $5 courtesy credit.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Well it's time for Sinclair to fire a shot across the bow.
battle hood GIF

Reactions: charlesrshell
Columbus, Ohio lost WBNS 10 which is CBS. Fortunately Dish has kept the OTA guide data for WBNS channel 10.1. I just finished creating series timers for Young Sheldon, United States of Al, Ghosts, Bull, SWAT, Magnum PI, Blue Bloods, The Equalizer, NCIS Los Angeles, Seal Team, The Neighborhood, Bob Hearts Abishola, NCIS, NCIS Hawaii, FBI, FBI International, FBI Most Wanted, and CSI Vegas.
I guess CBS has a lot of the programs I watch. In the past when Dish had programming disputes they would remove the OTA guide so that you had to create a bunch of manual timers. I am so glad that Dish kept the OTA guide.
Now I need to call Dish and get a credit on my bill for losing one local channel.
Unfortunately due to high call volume Dish is not accepting calls regarding the loss of Local channels so they hung up. I will now call back and just ask for billing.
I talked to a nice agent and received a $5 courtesy credit.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
At least your lost CBS has the guide info. Mine doesn't so i have to make manual timers that all say WWL TV Channel 4. Then try to remember what it really is. :(

Boycott the Networks. Without local viewers they would be in trouble. The networks need to step up and pressure the greedy affiliates.
It is not technically the networks, but Tegna. But it is a double edged sword. If Tegna's deal isn't made, then people lose the network the station carries. But like my son, he subs to Hulu and gets his TV shows no matter where they come from. Boycotting them will not happen in enough numbers as the people want their shows. If all carriers cable & satellite joined forces to stop this, something would be done, but that is unlikely.

It is not technically the networks, but Tegna. But it is a double edged sword. If Tegna's deal isn't made, then people lose the network the station carries. But like my son, he subs to Hulu and gets his TV shows no matter where they come from. Boycotting them will not happen in enough numbers as the people want their shows. If all carriers cable & satellite joined forces to stop this, something would be done, but that is unlikely.
The bolded is the bottom line. If people didn't want to watch the "Big 4", then they wouldn't care if MVPDs carried them or not.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hi Dennis. I've sent you a private message.
Thanks i cant figure out how to attach photos in the message so ill put them here. Also our FOX 8 doesn't have guide data on the main channel but it does on one of the subs?

Attachments

• 20211017_170337.jpg
    20211017_170337.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 20211017_170422.jpg
    20211017_170422.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited: