Dish fixed STARZ HD

WALTINVT

When "E" starts calling a spade a spade and being honest with their customers, THEN maybe I too will be "pleased" with them but in the meantime, I don't lie - I won't tolerate it in others. If I say I'm going to do something, I make every possible effort to do it - I expect the same of others. Customers who pay for my services get what I tell them I'm going to give them - I won't tolerate less from those I pay my money to. These might be obscure concepts to some people today but I stand by them.[/QUOTE]

REPLY>>>>>

Sorry don't have any DISH HD Locals here in Indianapolis to compare to OTA yet. Just pleased with OTA Locals using the DISH VIP 622 DVR. If you complain about DISH's present HD just think about all the poor Directv customers and their HD service! (myself included) Sure, room for improvement and it looks as it will. How do you know that DISH is not doing it's best?

I just don't see false advertising from DISH that seems to bother you so much.

Anything you purchase these days seem to be hipped by advertising. Happy with your new car, TV, computer? Do you complain about them too?

Come on enjoy your great DISH HD service today and worry about something really important. If you really feel you are being riped off, why subscribe to DISH HD services?

Last edited:
rickaren said:
WALTINVT

Come on enjoy your great DISH HD service today and worry about something really important. If you really feel you are being riped off, why subscribe to DISH HD services?
I believe Walt answered this question in a earlier post - here is his reply. :eek: Seriously, DishHD is the best package on the market...but it could be much better.

riffjim4069 said:
I believe Walt answered this question in a earlier post - here is his reply. :eek: Seriously, DishHD is the best package on the market...but it could be much better.
lol.gif

Last night StarzHD had issues for me. Maybe the movie wasnt HD, I was planning to watch some of Hitch, but the guide was wrong and White Chicks was on. I thought it looked like crap! grainy! Have no idea if the movie was supposed to be true HD or an upconvert. So not only did the PQ suck, but now the guide data was all wrong (on both my dish receivers, plus at zap2it)

I dont understand Starz HD.

They have a movie that they have in HD, sometimes it is shown in HD and other times its not. I don't understand why this is. They were the same way with Dolby Digital, some airing with be in Dolby Digital while other times the same movies would not be in Dolby Digital.

They can do this now, because no one else has the bandwidth to show as many channels as we want at the highest resolution.

Fios may change this, we'll see..... Once, a major competitor solves the problem and starts touting it in commercials, you'll see things change....

While I appreciate Dish improving their MPEG4 decoders, which I expected them to do and stated here several times that they would do, the overall HD quality from Dish is rather shoddy.

When I watch OTA HD, or Dish's own Demo channel, or a well-recorded show on HDNET, the image quality is fabulous - and can be downright stunning at times.

But on most Dish HD channels, it falls short of that quality. Far better than the SD crap that Dish serves up and it is decent, reasonably clear with good detail. But lacks the vibrant colors and razor-sharp resolution that true HD provides.

While I hold out hope that Dish will raise their present standards, the VOOM channels give me pause. I cannot understand why there were 4 or 5 true HD VOOM channels last October but none now. What happened that Dish couldn't fix in 8 months? Some of the present VOOM channels are so soft that I would rather be watching a DVD.

So my satisfaction with Dish HD is mixed. It is nice to see MPEG4 coming along. It is nice to have a lot of HD channels available. But when many of them are sub-HD quality, it tempers my satisfaction. Personally I would gladly give up a few of these channels in order to have true HD on the ones left.

Kirby Baker said:
Last night StarzHD had issues for me. Maybe the movie wasnt HD, I was planning to watch some of Hitch, but the guide was wrong and White Chicks was on. I thought it looked like crap! grainy! Have no idea if the movie was supposed to be true HD or an upconvert. So not only did the PQ suck, but now the guide data was all wrong (on both my dish receivers, plus at zap2it)

Yea, I read about Dish supposedly fixing STARZHD. Maybe they did, but when I watch a movie there seems to be a "swimming" effect: e.g. when a face moves all parts don't seem to move at the same rate, areas surrounding eyes seem to be swimming around, etc. Drives me crazy.

There are other aspects of STARZHD that are fine; sometimes it actually looks like DiscoveryHD or HDNet. But it's clear, at least in my case, that Dish is having problems with their MPEG4 channels.

I was planning on cancelling after my free three months; given the quality that won't be a hard decision to follow through on.

=NLK=

Tom Bombadil said:
While I appreciate Dish improving their MPEG4 decoders, which I expected them to do and stated here several times that they would do, the overall HD quality from Dish is rather shoddy.

When I watch OTA HD, or Dish's own Demo channel, or a well-recorded show on HDNET, the image quality is fabulous - and can be downright stunning at times.

But on most Dish HD channels, it falls short of that quality. Far better than the SD crap that Dish serves up and it is decent, reasonably clear with good detail. But lacks the vibrant colors and razor-sharp resolution that true HD provides.

While I hold out hope that Dish will raise their present standards, the VOOM channels give me pause. I cannot understand why there were 4 or 5 true HD VOOM channels last October but none now. What happened that Dish couldn't fix in 8 months? Some of the present VOOM channels are so soft that I would rather be watching a DVD.

So my satisfaction with Dish HD is mixed. It is nice to see MPEG4 coming along. It is nice to have a lot of HD channels available. But when many of them are sub-HD quality, it tempers my satisfaction. Personally I would gladly give up a few of these channels in order to have true HD on the ones left.
Expressed very well Tom but you might get chastised for "complaining" too much or "hijacking" the thread or of not being able to see the difference.

Maybe someone wants to start a seperate poll and thread about the hd channels and whether there should be more in hd lite vs less in full hd? Then your complaints would be registered under the right topic, and no one could accuse you of hijacking the thread.

I would be interested in seeing how many people would want to go back to less hd channels vs more in hd lite as some think that Dish is doing.

I still think that eventually Dish will get all the hd back to full resolution once they get all the hd in mpeg 4 . If not then , maybe when they get all the sd channels transitioned to mpeg 4. That would be in the next 2 - 3 years. Maybe then they will get the most out of the bandwith for mpeg 4 and the sd quality will improve as well as the hd. I know one thing is true. MOST people on these web boards care about Picture quality.:hungry:

I still think that Dish has the best for now.:up

Scott Greczkowski said:
I dont understand Starz HD. They have a movie that they have in HD, sometimes it is shown in HD and other times its not...

Why do you care? You say we can't tell the difference between 1280/1440 and 1920, so isn't it good enough for us if Starz doesn't even show it in HD?

Hammer

hammerdown said:
Why do you care? You say we can't tell the difference between 1280/1440 and 1920, so isn't it good enough for us if Starz doesn't even show it in HD?

Hammer

Gezz...that was even snotty by my standards.:cool:

MikeD-C05 said:
Maybe someone wants to start a seperate poll and thread about the hd channels and whether there should be more in hd lite vs less in full hd? Then your complaints would be registered under the right topic, and no one could accuse you of hijacking the thread.

I would be interested in seeing how many people would want to go back to less hd channels vs more in hd lite as some think that Dish is doing.

Done. :D

waltinvt said:
Gezz...that was even snotty by my standards.:cool:
HD-Lite is nothing to sneeze at. It is a CANCER that has spread before it was diagnosed and removed...

You don't see the irony/hypocracy when one minute someone says HD-Lite is ok and the next comments about upconverting?

Hammer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)