Dish for Just One Sat?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
In reading our fellow member's difficulty setting up a dish for camping in Arkansas, a question occurred to me that I have wondered about for some time. If I were only interested in receiving programming from one satellite location, say 61.5 for locals only or 129 for the majority of HD's only, could I use an original dish 300 antenna? They were so easy to set up back in the day and can be found at almost any flea market. If a DishPro LNB would be better, they are also readily available.
One concern would be, can receivers be activated and continue to be authorized from any satellite? I do believe that guide data is included for the channels carried by each location.
This would be a simple solution for some members, especially for camping when all one really wants is to see the local news or a particular sports network.​

An activated receiver will receive any of the satellites. Locals will only be available from those satellites that serve your local authorized market. Full guide is on all the satellites excepting 77W which has a very limited guide (something like 1/2 to 1 hr in advance of live).

An activated receiver will receive any of the satellites. Locals will only be available from those satellites that serve your local authorized market. Full guide is on all the satellites excepting 77W which has a very limited guide (something like 1/2 to 1 hr in advance of live).

True. I would add the full guide as to the channels you are receiving yes, not the full 8 day guide unless changes have been made. 61.5 110, 129 I believe are 44 hour. 77 I am not sure you could be correct as to the limits of it.

Just curious, but does anyone know if a 300 will work as a single satellite source for an HWS? I have a Winegard manual crank up 300 equivalent on my RV roof that we used sometimes with our previous 211K, but I haven't tried it with our current HWS and can't right now due to tree cover.

When I got the first Hopper (1), I tried taking my DPP 1000.2 ground tripod and aluminum foiling two of the LNBFs to see what the Switch Check would do. It ran for a really long time and came back with the one satellite for the LNBF I left uncovered. So I would guess a crank-up 300 would probably work.

The HWS needs DPP or DPH lnb.

That's what I expect, and I do have a work around to try when we move the RV to a location where the rooftop dish has line of sight to the sats if a straight in connection doesn't work. In that case, I'll try using a spare DPP LNB not mounted on a dish and Solo Node, with the 300 plugged into the wing dish port on the LNB. It's just curiosity though, since I don't mind the few minutes it takes me to set up our tripod mounted 1K4.

The HWS needs DPP or DPH lnb.

Have you tried it with an older LNBF? Maybe a Dual LNBF with a SW21?

It needs the DP/DPH to get the both polarities for the multiple tuners. But it should function as a single tuner with just a single LNBF.
Maybe even multiple tuners as long as it's the channels are on the same polarity.

There no technical reason it wouldn't work. We did stuff like that back with C-band dishes. (I recall excitement over dual polarity feedhorns with 2 LNBs and being able to drive 2 receivers w/o being stuck on a single polarity)

We won't be in a location where the roof mounted dish has LOS until next week, but I am looking forward to testing it out. If it doesn't work out, I won't be terribly disappointed though. We're currently at the Lake Powhatan Recreation Area Campground near Asheville, NC, and luckily I was able to find a big enough hole in the heavy tree cover to hit the eastern arc sats with only 100' of coax running to the tripod dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)