Dish/Fox Sports 1 NCAA Football Dispute?

Fox did something similar with Braves games in the Atlanta market, so I don't think it's too much of a speculation to figure out Fox's side of the dispute.
money money money
show me the money
plus fox has a lawsuit against dish in federal court over sling technology and the auto hop feature.

The thing that is unclear is whether the regular Pac 12/Big 12 games are part of this dispute or not OR these early opening week non-conference games are the additional games mentioned. The devil is in the details. We have Dish's position laid out. Fox/Fox Sports 1 won't comment. Basically they won't tell us the Fox side of the dispute.

That is the question. I am sure they are, as the new conference contracts for the Big12 and Pac12 took effect this year. The old contracts ran thru 2013-2014 season. I was actually wanting to watch some of the ND St/Iowa St game.

I've been looking at packages and costs all morning. I will be making some changes to my main account that I use, Dish Pause for a while and Cox will be used in the off season and save quite a bit, but probably will still have to use Dish during football as it is still cheaper way to get sports channels than bumping up a Cox package. I own my Dish equipment and no contracts with Cox so I can start and stop that when I want.

Fox did something similar with Braves games in the Atlanta market, so I don't think it's too much of a speculation to figure out Fox's side of the dispute.

WHY do we even need to speculate; we have the channel, just the events are blacked out. MLB is not blacked out, but college football is? These same games were on FS1 (well equivalent games) last year on Dish. Two years ago they were on FX, yes. I cannot believe that Dish is the only provider objecting to this garbage. Maybe Dish needs to just pull the whole channel and move on. But at the same time I am pissed at Dish for leading us to believe all is fine and then right before the season starts to let us know.

I am a Pac 12 guy....yea we have the Pac 12 Network, but 47% of the TV rights fees are paid for by Fox and show on broadcast Fox and FS1. So its a big deal to be caught flat footed at the last minute by this. Perhaps its posturing, I am not sure, and maybe a resolution is coming....but looking back at all the college football promos by Dish I can't seem to find the Fox Sports 1 logo in any of them. That's telling to me.

What's also telling is Fox Sports 1/Fox is not talking about it, yet Dish is. All we can hope is that the week drags on public pressure is put on Fox.

Reactions: dpreed81
So once again we have a dispute for a channel that is only relevant for a portion of the year and once again we have members complaining and saying Dish just needs to get things done. These are the same people who will be the first to complain when their are price increases and say how ridiculous Dish is for raising rates. Beggars acan be choosers here. If you want it all then be prepared to pay for it.

I myself do not really care for the channel but I'm always in favor for more football. None of these games really appeal to me but I know there will be some Iowa State games on there and we have a lot of Iowa State fans in my area so it's important to my customers. I prefer not to have any of these channel negotiations because it can really hurt my business but that's just the nature of this industry. If anyone here has a better idea of how to run this industry and make a profit while keeping customers happy I suggest you apply for a job with one of these companies. We are generally one-sided here, always thinking about ourselves and not about how this industry really works and what it takes to make money while keeping customers happy. We have to think about these disputes from both sides.

Now that these games are for schools(that have been successful sports programs and by successful I mean winning games) that can generate a large viewer base now so Fox moved them to their own channel.
I'm not any but one or two of the eight listed teams in the first go-around has what anyone would call a "winning program".

Standard crappy Dish canned responses in that article, where once again the consumer is caught in the middle. Fox will say go to Cable or Directv, Dish will say you're under contract tough luck, in the meanwhile customers are paying upwards of $100 a month and still can't watch what they want unless it is some mindless drivel in loops on reality channels.

So once again we have a dispute for a channel that is only relevant for a portion of the year and once again we have members complaining and saying Dish just needs to get things done. These are the same people who will be the first to complain when their are price increases and say how ridiculous Dish is for raising rates. Beggars acan be choosers here. If you want it all then be prepared to pay for it.

I myself do not really care for the channel but I'm always in favor for more football. None of these games really appeal to me but I know there will be some Iowa State games on there and we have a lot of Iowa State fans in my area so it's important to my customers. I prefer not to have any of these channel negotiations because it can really hurt my business but that's just the nature of this industry. If anyone here has a better idea of how to run this industry and make a profit while keeping customers happy I suggest you apply for a job with one of these companies. We are generally one-sided here, always thinking about ourselves and not about how this industry really works and what it takes to make money while keeping customers happy. We have to think about these disputes from both sides.

Sorry, I'm not interested is circumstance or applying for a job at Dish. I want the channels that were promised me when I renewed my contract back in March. FS1 didn't have an asterix next to it that said "maybe/maybe not". I pay Dish to figure this out. We all pay them a lot of money every month to figure it out.

Direct and Comcast are not having this problem. If Dish were much cheaper than them, I would understand the rationale for the blackout. There really isn't that much of a price difference amongst all these providers, yet it seems like lately Dish is the one with all the drama. Maybe they should hire the negotiating team away from DirecTV.

Sorry, I'm not interested is circumstance or applying for a job at Dish. I want the channels that were promised me when I renewed my contract back in March. FS1 didn't have an asterix next to it that said "maybe/maybe not". I pay Dish to figure this out. We all pay them a lot of money every month to figure it out.

Direct and Comcast are not having this problem. If Dish were much cheaper than them, I would understand the rationale for the blackout. There really isn't that much of a price difference amongst all these providers, yet it seems like lately Dish is the one with all the drama. Maybe they should hire the negotiating team away from DirecTV.
Must be a newby this is mild drama compared to years past

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't believe you were promised any channels for long term. In fact I believe you signed a contract which states that Dish has the right to change prices and programming at any time. Once again, you are being extremely one sided and don't look at the big picture. You or I have no idea what kind of negotiations are going on. We no very little in fact and everything we are complaining about on here is pure speculation.

I'm not saying this as a Dish fan boy like some may believe. I'm saying this in defense to all pay TV providers because they all go through the same crap with networks, some just more than others.

Reactions: KAB

that's cause DirecTV and Comcast aren't getting sued over a feature with their DVRs. Fox and Dish are in dispute for more then just programing, Fox is suing Dish over the features that the Hooper has.

i can see this a issue Dish has over FS1 college football being a clever way to get revenge on Fox for the Hooper related lawsuits.

Yet, Schermann you keep spewing that company line. The entire overall pay tv structure needs to change. Consumers have no protections in this and are just being used by both sides and in the end the consumers end up missing the main programming that is driving the cost increases. It's kind of hard for consumers not to be one sided as they are practically held hostage with no real options.

There is no balance in the programming packages, it's a take it or leave proposition. With the rising costs of sports, most of it needs to be separated into a sports pack (and I am a sports fan so none of the crap that sports fans pay for other channels too) we all know there is a very very large divide in those costs. There needs to be some transparency in these costs for consumers. Start itemizing just how much each channel is costing the consuner each month and how much is Directv/Dish/cable costs of doing business. Unfortunately its going to reach a point that the government has to step in and then no one will be happy.

Reactions: dare2be
I think it is pretty reasonable to assume that most customers that want (insert name) channel will be pretty one sided when said channel is blacked out or taken away.

Most, myself included, wont care about the negotiation side of it, as we have zero control over that aspect. They get upset because they pay their bill, and now a channel that they want is not available for the content that they want off of it.

I get it. This channel and the games that are on it mean very little to me beyond my general interest in college football, but I can certainly understand people being upset when they get that content yanked, and are alone among subscribers of pay tv in having it happen. No matter the reason.

To the fact of consumer options, recruit multi billions from investors, start your own cable company, and negotiate those costs if you feel what the tv industry does now, as a whole, is wrong. I do feel we do get as much as any provider can offer, within the scope of reasonibility. You may disagree, and call this ridiculous, but that is exactly what Charlie Ergen did. And, yes, as a consumer you have the right to go another company if one company is not fulfilling your needs. There is competition all over the place. If signed an agreement for the equipment, you have the choice to pay for the etf or stick it out, but you are not forced to stay with the company. You have options. But how much are you willing to pay for those options. (Dish has options also and paying the extra associated cost is their choice. They chose not to.) just to out that into perspective for you. Like Schermann said, the contract you signed did not mention a guarantee on channels, amount of channels, programming or price.

And, yes, as a consumer you have the right to go another company if one company is not fulfilling your needs. There is competition all over the place.
There isn't competition in the tv industry. You have an oligopoly of MVPDs dealing with an oligopoly of content owners. There is no real choice for the consumer except to pay all-or-none.

Your competitions would be to move to another provider. Again, if you don't like the competition available, spend the money to build your own tv network, and negotiate your own contracts. Hope you have those billions lying around or are a damned smooth talker. The way I see it, I don't want to have to do that, so I accept what I get from the people that have already spent the billions of dollars to get everything set up. That's your competition. Everyone has a choice between atleast two satellite providers. Most people can even choose between those two, atleast one cable provider, and one fiber line provider. That's a huge competition pool for the money it costs.

Sure, we signed a contract, and no, there was no guarantee for price, channels, content, ect.

Knowing that as we all do, I still reserve the right to complain on an internet forum when content that I want gets yanked. I havent here, as I would not watch most of these games anyway except in passing.

But again, I can certainly understand people being upset when a week before kickoff this comes to light.

I doubt even I could have my own cable company up and running in that short amount of time, and I am awesome. So what chance does the average poster have?

Lol. Ok I'm gonna stop just because that last paragraph seriously made me laugh. That turned my day around and got me motivated back to my school work. Lol. Really was an awesome statement.

Reactions: Ronnie-
Yet, Schermann you keep spewing that company line. The entire overall pay tv structure needs to change. Consumers have no protections in this and are just being used by both sides and in the end the consumers end up missing the main programming that is driving the cost increases. It's kind of hard for consumers not to be one sided as they are practically held hostage with no real options.

There is no balance in the programming packages, it's a take it or leave proposition. With the rising costs of sports, most of it needs to be separated into a sports pack (and I am a sports fan so none of the crap that sports fans pay for other channels too) we all know there is a very very large divide in those costs. There needs to be some transparency in these costs for consumers. Start itemizing just how much each channel is costing the consuner each month and how much is Directv/Dish/cable costs of doing business. Unfortunately its going to reach a point that the government has to step in and then no one will be happy.

Now that is a very good response and I agree with everything you just said. Sadly, I just don't see it happening. I like the response you gave this time much better because it doesn't just single out one provider. This issue goes beyond Dish, it's an industry wide problem and I agree that it needs to be changed. I'm not sure how it will be changed though.

I doubt even I could have my own cable company up and running in that short amount of time, and I am awesome. So what chance does the average poster have?

rollingonthefloor55.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)