Dish/Fox Sports 1 NCAA Football Dispute?

I'm getting used to these yearly pissing matches. It's DISH's attitude about how you can watch other games instead that irks the crap out of me. It's like when your mom tries to set up a play date with the weird kid down the street and says, "Look he has toys, you like toys... you'll get along." His toys suck mom, I want mine.

If my team is playing on Fox Sports 1, I do not care that I can watch the SEC play on the SEC network, do not care I can watch the PAC-12 games on the PAC-12 channel.

And why is it JUST college football!?? Because they have no unions to tell Fox they can't do that? Think the UFC or MLB would put up with Fox cutting off their broadcasts?

This just sucks all the way around.

I am so glad that FOX lost their takeover bid for Time/Warner.

I have DISH for TV but my internet pipe is via Oceanic Time/Warner.

Using the same logic as FS1, they could possibly say, " you have internet connectivity, but you will need to pay extra to access websites"!!!!!!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

This has happened before in the past... and I am not sure how its possible that if you buy a channel from a programmer how they can come to you and say... he we have 3 special programs airing on our channel... and if you want to show these specials to your customers you need to pay us more for those events.

Imagine if you were paying for HBO and loved Game of Thrones and went to tune in to last episode of the season only to find that if you want to watch it you need to pay $9.99 more to see the last episode. Would you be mad?

However I do have to wonder why these games are only being blacked out on DISH and not other providers. There is something not adding up here to me. Has anyone heard any other providers blacking out these games?

.... once again we have members complaining and saying Dish just needs to get things done. These are the same people who will be the first to complain when their are price increases and say how ridiculous Dish is for raising rates. Beggars acan be choosers here. If you want it all then be prepared to pay for it.

I don't think that is what is being said by most people at all. I am mad at Dish ONLY because all summer long we have the hype on college football, added Longhorn and SEC channels, and not a single peep on the FS1 situation until less than a week before kickoff. My beef with Dish is the lack of communication, period.

My frustration is more with Fox - they are always trying to stick it to us one way or another. Fox also is not forthcoming on the dispute and won't comment about it. That's pretty sad and says a lot about the integrity of the management team at Fox.

To Scott, my guess is that their contract carried over from Speed Channel with some sort of writing to the effect about motor sports. So to add new sports, is how they are getting around he contract and asking for more fees. I just read somewhere, though, that dish only pays approx $0.50 per sub per month for fs1. That said, any increase worth it, for relatively low valued games? I'm sure that's what dish is saying. Now if it was, say, the Florida Gators, it might warrant a fee increase, but how big is the market for the announced games. They are not heavily watched teams. Maybe home states. That's all I could find in my searches. Dish is the only one affected, but it could have to do with the writing in the contract from the Speed days, and that's why others are not affected by it.

Yea the only reason FOX is getting away with this crap is because its NCAA not MLB/NHL. FOX will then blame Dish when the schools say you promised us this amount of allocated ad $ and we only got this....Dish will get all the blame for this.

I can assure you Dish(Thankfully,Charlie is to cheap for that) didnt pay no .50 per sub for Speed. No Way. Until a new contract is done Dish is paying the old speed price for FS1.

Think the UFC or MLB would put up with Fox cutting off their broadcasts?

This just sucks all the way around.
You mean how for two years they got the MLB to agree to black out EVERY SINGLE GAME that was scheduled during Fox's Saturday broadcast window and force everyone to watch the game that Fox was broadcasting?

Yeah, that, along with the Braves games they tinkered with, I'm not giving Fox any benefit of the doubt here.

Reactions: ChadT41
I dont give any corporation the benefit of the doubt no matter the product or service provided.
Ambrose Bierce — 'Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.'

I dont give any corporation the benefit of the doubt no matter the product or service provided.
Ambrose Bierce — 'Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.'
Well, I was referring to relative doubt of Fox corporate compared to Dish corporate.

I can assure you Dish(Thankfully,Charlie is to cheap for that) didnt pay no .50 per sub for Speed. No Way. Until a new contract is done Dish is paying the old speed price for FS1.

I'm pretty sure, if I remember the news when FS1 launched, Speed was around .25 cents a sub when they rebranded to FS1 and Fox was wanting an escalating contract that would start at .80 cents a sub and pay $1.50 a sub at the end of 5 years. They eventually agreed to let carriage continue to unsigned providers under the Speed contract in order to get enough subs for the launch numbers they guaranteed. Otherwise we would still have a SPEED channel showing loops of car restoration shows until all the contracts ran out.

To Scott, my guess is that their contract carried over from Speed Channel with some sort of writing to the effect about motor sports. So to add new sports, is how they are getting around he contract and asking for more fees. I just read somewhere, though, that dish only pays approx $0.50 per sub per month for fs1. That said, any increase worth it, for relatively low valued games? I'm sure that's what dish is saying. Now if it was, say, the Florida Gators, it might warrant a fee increase, but how big is the market for the announced games. They are not heavily watched teams. Maybe home states. That's all I could find in my searches. Dish is the only one affected, but it could have to do with the writing in the contract from the Speed days, and that's why others are not affected by it.

I think Dish feels slighted - they paid for increased fees on FX contract (when it included football games) and then Fox moved the games to FS1. Who really knows though, Dish tells its side of the story and Fox won't say a thing.

Yep, not only are the content owners practicing extortion in their bundling of channels in their contract negotiations, but they are participating in bait and switch in the content of those channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts