Dish, FTA, one cable...can it be done?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
I've moved into apartment life and have had to settle for a Dish sub for the extended family. While getting ready for BB season, I'm ready to re-set up my motorized dish in the apartment patio.

I'm limited to no drilling due to apartment restrictions and currently have two lines running into the apartment from what I think is a 1000.2 Dish. It has the three LNBs for 110,119, and 129. Apparently it has a built in switch as far as I can see. That being said.....

Could I run FTA and Echostar down one of the lines....separating their signals with a 22k switch? As far as I remember, I don't think Dish Network uses any 22k switching. Therefore.....

Echostar feeds to 0khz side of the Ecoda switch (outside), then FTA motor/dish hooks onto the 22k side. I don't know. Need help here. Trying to avoid running a separate line.

Then...inside...how do I split that signal? High freq. splitter?? multiswitch? Maybe add a 2nd 22k switch inside???? Trying to think here but totally lost.

My receiver is a VIP 722k. Again....with all the moving since July...I've finally settled and my brain is ready to get technical again.

Last edited:
Also, the DishNetwork receiver expects 100% connection to its birds.
If it can't find 'em all (even when turned "off"), it'll get upset and give you grief.

The FTA dish is going on the patio?
Maybe you can run your coax in under the sliding glass door with one of those flat coax cable pieces.
Under $10, and about a foot long.

Since there are two cables in place there is a way. Both those cables go to the VIP722, right? Reciever 1 and 2. Those feeds can be run on one cable leaving the other one for your FTA. My brother had a similar restriction and the installer used a combiner to run both on one cable from the outside. And then seperated the signal into two cables to the back of the reciever. I never really studied that hook-up, so I'm not sure what the devices were that he used to combine the signals on one wire. But it was a dual tuner reciever and 3lnb dish on SW34 and only one cable thru the wall. Sorry I can't be more help.

Those receivers need 100% uptime from what I've gathered on everyone's responses. It's a shame about the frequencies. I could use an A/B switch but that would bring downtime to the Dish receiver. I guess if I'm watching something on FTA or wannna play with FTA.....I'd have to experience downtime on Dish. The Dish receiver would treat it as a solar outage.

Since there are two cables in place there is a way. Both those cables go to the VIP722, right? Reciever 1 and 2. Those feeds can be run on one cable leaving the other one for your FTA. My brother had a similar restriction and the installer used a combiner to run both on one cable from the outside. And then seperated the signal into two cables to the back of the reciever. I never really studied that hook-up, so I'm not sure what the devices were that he used to combine the signals on one wire. But it was a dual tuner reciever and 3lnb dish on SW34 and only one cable thru the wall. Sorry I can't be more help.

I have 2 cables coming into the apt. off the same LNB (built in switch)......one for a 722 and another for a 222. The kids are using the 222 and don't care about FTA. This should be lots of fun :)

I have a 722k with a similar hookup. This link explains the single cable solution: http://www.satelliteinstaller.com/My eBooks/DP_Plus_Separator_QUICK-FACTS.pdf .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)