Dish gone...

tripod

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
after 8 years of service.Moved into County operated "Senior" housing,consisting of 10 one story building with 4 apartments each.Their policy is "No Dish" must use cable company provided.I explained to the lease person my dish goes on a tripod and not the roof,but she said it was tried before by a satellite company to install master antenna and hook up all residents.After 2 days of trying it didnt work.(?) Cable is a nickel cheaper in $$,but a million $$ cheaper in picture quality.I thought of filing a grievance with the supervisory committee,but didnt want to get a rep being the new guy on the block.Am I screwed or is there something legally I can do.thanx-tripod.:confused:

after 8 years of service.Moved into County operated "Senior" housing,consisting of 10 one story building with 4 apartments each.Their policy is "No Dish" must use cable company provided.I explained to the lease person my dish goes on a tripod and not the roof,but she said it was tried before by a satellite company to install master antenna and hook up all residents.After 2 days of trying it didnt work.(?) Cable is a nickel cheaper in $$,but a million $$ cheaper in picture quality.I thought of filing a grievance with the supervisory committee,but didnt want to get a rep being the new guy on the block.Am I screwed or is there something legally I can do.thanx-tripod.:confused:

It is a Felony, for anyone to interfere, stop, harass, try to stop, or otherwise tell you that you cannot put up a Satellite Dish, to receive signal from any of the providers. The OTARD (Over the Air Reception Device) Rules, state that very plainly, and the FCC wants to know about anyone that tries to circumvent their Rules!!! Take em' to the Curb Tripod!!!

Darn straight! Fight for your rights. As difficult as the FCC can be to understand, this portion is VERY CLEAR. You are allowed to have any sort of OTARD (Over the Air Reception Device) that you need (within 3 foot diameter i think) to receive programming. Go for it!!!

They can restrict where you put it, but if you can only get reception in a specific area, then you are covered :)

I imagine the concrete slab that is my side entrance (faces SW),15' X 8' should be my exclusive area.Will keep all informed as my request processes.

I know the FCC Rules.. And if you have the time, money and ability to fight it you will win.. That being said. As a retailer I have dealt with numerous apartment and condo manager/owners and associations. Most have written rules that specify what you can and can't do. And many managers just want to make them up as you go along.. The one thing you have to remember if you fight this and win, it's what's going to happen when it is all done and you still have to live there. And when you have made the complex owner mad at you, or your neighbors mad at you , it is not going to be a very friendly world for you to exist in. Yes you can win. But at what cost to your life, neighbors, and so forth.
The first thing I do after being contacted by someone to install in a questionable rental building is contact the management office. If they sign off on me installing then I go to work. If not. I tell the customer to deal with them and get back to me after they solve the problem. I am not going to get caught in the middle of a war.

Would OTARD overrule if it's in the apartment lease contract?

if he has an exclusive area, OTARD trumps any lease contract. I had the same issue when I had an apartment. It clearly stated "no dishes" (because they had a contract with the crappy cable company). I put it on the deck on a tripod
no bolts in the deck
not overhanging
cable was run through the door using the flat cables

They tried to get me to remove it but after showing them OTARD, they couldn't do anything

It is a Felony, for anyone to interfere, stop, harass, try to stop, or otherwise tell you that you cannot put up a Satellite Dish, to receive signal from any of the providers. The OTARD (Over the Air Reception Device) Rules, state that very plainly, and the FCC wants to know about anyone that tries to circumvent their Rules!!! Take em' to the Curb Tripod!!!

Nope;

Not a felony...

It's a civil matter and is actionable only if you decide to sue.

Not a felony...

It's a civil matter and is actionable only if you decide to sue.
Yeap, certainly not a felony. Is the apt manager going to go to jail for this ?? Absolutely not...

That said, you'll have a couple more obstacles to overcome and those are getting the cable inside (you'll likely have to resort to those flat cables) and getting the cable to the room you want the receiver in if it's not close to the point you come through the outside wall. You do NOT have the right to drill holes in the walls to run your cabling and FCC or OTARD have no say in that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)