Dish guy needs advice on switching to Direct TV.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikelite

Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Hello friends, I just read the news that Dish is dropping AMC. I've been a subscriber for 4 years now and I think it's time to switch. I'm starting to look into DirectTV & holy crap is that overwhelming.

Do you guys have any advice on finding the best deal? Is a 2 yr contract basically unavoidable? Are there any pitfalls I should look out for?

Man, I feel like I'm going a date for the first time since a divorce.

thanks a lot,
Mike

Hello friends, I just read the news that Dish is dropping AMC. I've been a subscriber for 4 years now and I think it's time to switch. I'm starting to look into DirectTV & holy crap is that overwhelming.

Do you guys have any advice on finding the best deal? Is a 2 yr contract basically unavoidable? Are there any pitfalls I should look out for?

thanks a lot,
Mike
Mike,
Welcome to the site, Look around, stay awhile !

The 2 year commitment as a new sub is pretty much unavoidable .... reason is, you wouldn't want to pay the Real price for each recvr and accessory.

When you do call and get your equipment, get EVERYTHING recvr wise that you may want, it will be much cheaper to get it while your a New sub, remember, your only a new sub NOW.

The only way to avoid a commitment is to activate a new account with owned equipment.

To add to Jimbos statement, you need to know exactly what you want NOW or it'll cost you dearly in the end. Decide what your looking for and once you come up with what you need ask and then see if it's still something you want.

Example, do you need 3 HDDVRS? Or maybe 1 and 3 HD's? Or standard equipment? There is a lot to consider and make sure you're comfortable with your choices considering you'll be with it for 2 years

Well, we've got a typical apt in Brooklyn, so one big tv in the livingroom. Had a small one in the bedroom, didn't really use it, might go back. Definitely HD DVR, don't think I need the super Media Center.

What about where I sign up? Is the official website or calling the best bet?

thanks guys, really appreciate the help.

Don't forget the referral discount if a friend refers you to Directv. That's $10 off per month for 10 months. Also if you're an AAA member, you can get $10 off per month for 20 months. Both of these are on top of the promos they are advertising.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

Don't forget the referral discount if a friend refers you to Directv. That's $10 off per month for 10 months. Also if you're an AAA member, you can get $10 off per month for 20 months. Both of these are on top of the promos they are advertising.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

Are you for certain that's on top of the promos their currently offering. I know on the Directv website they are offering like $24 off for the first year and $10 the second. Sure it's not an "either- or"? Just wanting some clarification.

Thanks!

I was able to snag a $10 off a month for 24 months from a tech referral on top of all the other promos.

even if you dont think you need it, get the hr-34 aka hmc now
with only 1 dvr you may have conflicts

mikelite said:

thanks a lot,
Mike

Hi Mike
I have both dish and Direc.
I can talk about both.
Are you looking to switch because of AMC?
I can understand leaving because of losing a channel or channels.
I love Direc for their sports. Nothing as good as their sports packages. Period! However if your not as into sports, to me, dish does a better job.
Plus with me, dish overall is a better value. Some will argue that. Plus the new hopper system is incredible. direct always in my opinion had the better picture. Now, with new hopper, dish does.

I'm not a shill for dish at all. They pulled my favorite suite of channels in Voom. I'm still seething over it.
They all play the pull channel game.

I do like them both for different reasons
All around service dish
Sports galore. Direc.

In any case good luck!

Can u get customer acct# referral and the AAA referral together?

Yep, just did it. Found specific instructions at SlickDeals, worked perfectly:
If you are a AAA member you can call 1-800-370-3578 to sign up and receive a $10 monthly credit for 20 months on top of the above deals. (less the $5 online ordering savings for the first 12 months). If you sign up via this method, you need to call the Refer a Friend number after you signup but prior to your installation to have the Refer a Friend discount added. That number is 1-800-507-4045. The steps must be completed in this order using these phone numbers or you might not get the discounts.

Hi Mike
I have both dish and Direc.
I can talk about both.

In any case good luck!

Hey lern4483, thanks for the advice. AMC was the tipping point, but I also couldn't get YES or MSG and I'm sick of not having my NYC sports. Maybe I'm crazy, but our picture seems to have gotten worse too. Like I got cable. But, I made the jump tonite. Signed up for Choice Xtra with the HMC & a 2nd HD Receiver for the bedroom. And I stacked the AAA discount with the member referral. Installation happens friday!

Hey lern4483, thanks for the advice. AMC was the tipping point, but I also couldn't get YES or MSG and I'm sick of not having my NYC sports. Maybe I'm crazy, but our picture seems to have gotten worse too. Like I got cable. But, I made the jump tonite. Signed up for Choice Xtra with the HMC & a 2nd HD Receiver for the bedroom. And I stacked the AAA discount with the member referral. Installation happens friday!

You said the magic words, YES, and MSG. I love those channels.
Enough said!
Not crazy at all. Im a transplanted New Yorker living in South Florida (Its really another borough) lol
Direc is the only way to get MSG.

I hope you asked for the HR34? Its the latest and greatest direc reciever.
One of the things I love most about Direc is the whole home setup.
Just in case you don't know, you could watch recorded programming from anyone of your
receivers.
Let us know how the set up goes.

Enjoy!!!

All the best!

Last edited:
I loved Voom, I had that System years ago. When they dropped the service, I ended up switching to cable.

That was some real HD . It was just way ahead of its time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)