DISH Hacked - Websites are BACK ONLINE!

I think there is a problem with the autopay system. The charge arrived on my credit card on the 9th in a PENDING status. That is normal. But the PENDING status should only last for a day or two. Here it is the 13th and the Dish charge is still in a PENDING status, meaning the transaction has not finalized.

Could the several people here who also saw an autopay on a credit card check to see the current status of your Dish charge?
Unfortunately, I forgot to check the last couple of days.

But DISH was on Pending status on my credit card on March 18. I just checked now (March 23) and it got moved to the Posted Transactions list. So it might take a while but it eventually gets there.

Looks like the FAQ around accessing streaming services was removed. Guessing because they started coming back online yesterday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
I asked a friend who works here in San Diego at Qualcomm in I.T. He said the limited information the FBI gave them even scared him! And it was as he described "A nuke went off at Dish" They were told to prepare for a similar attack (a worst-case scenario)

My thoughts are they selected Dish for a reason. Was it wealth? Easy access? Thought Dish would pay up quickly? I feel like they are not going after small and definitely not the Apple or Google. The banks are to well protected and would cause our government to go after them. The outcome of Dish and how fast they recover and if they pay a ransome is being closely watched by everyone in the industry the hackers and other hackers. Closing in quickly on 30 days down is concerning. Imagine your bank down for 30 days!

I remain very cautious but not scared. I am doing some things such as saving the last months bills. I also use OneDrive to back up but bought another WD Book HD to backup not just my computer but tablet and cell phone.
I think probably the majority of Dish users weren't significantly affected by this attack, if at all. Now if they were able to disable satellite transmission that would have been a whole different and huge problem for Charlie, but I don't think he would have paid any ransom anyway. One month after and it seems (at least to me) Dish is finally close to complete recovery.

BTW, I'm certain they're searching for these hackers, but I think they're a distributed networked bunch themselves. And at least some of them may even be protected by certain governments.

I think probably the majority of Dish users weren't significantly affected by this attack, if at all.

I certainly wouldn't put any money on this, remains to be seen if any significant amount of customer data was compromised and may still be released.

Also, could affect far more than current customers:

TechCrunch also heard that the impact of the breach could extend far beyond Dish’s 10 million-or-so customers. A former Dish retailer told TechCrunch that Dish retains a wealth of customer information on its servers, including customer names, dates of birth, email addresses, telephone numbers, Social Security numbers and credit card information. The person said that this information is retained indefinitely, even for prospective customers that didn’t pass Dish’s initial credit check.​

I certainly wouldn't put any money on this, remains to be seen if any significant amount of customer data was compromised and may still be released.
I think the next quarterly report will show the impact better. And I feel its going to be extremely bad! Certainly there are some who are on autopay and will probably never become aware anything happened BUT countless people have been greatly impacted. Complete loos of service others just a few channels. Dish at one point was unable to start any new customers at all and others this was the last straw that broke the camel's back! The hack is going to have a long term effect on Dish in every way.

Just look at the effects of 9/11 the terrorist never dreamed the buildings would fall. And are completely shocked it would impact the entire world for ever!

The cost to launch attacks is nearly nothing

A few well-placed drones might increase the cost significantly. Eventually, governments will have to join forces and step up and do what it takes to end these international pirates' activities. Those governments who harbor such villains also need to be held accountable. This will happen when the cost of inactivity reaches the breaking point.

A few well-placed drones might increase the cost significantly. Eventually, governments will have to join forces and step up and do what it takes to end these international pirates' activities. Those governments who harbor such villains also need to be held accountable. This will happen when the cost of inactivity reaches the breaking point.
Fully agree not just internet pirates but shipping as well

Also, could affect far more than current customers:

TechCrunch also heard that the impact of the breach could extend far beyond Dish’s 10 million-or-so customers. A former Dish retailer told TechCrunch that Dish retains a wealth of customer information on its servers, including customer names, dates of birth, email addresses, telephone numbers, Social Security numbers and credit card information. The person said that this information is retained indefinitely, even for prospective customers that didn’t pass Dish’s initial credit check.​

As far as I know, we don't know if any customer or other information was stolen. What you're alluding to is a worst case scenario, but I won't say it's impossible. This make me wonder about other corporations possibly having their data or other sensitive information stolen yet remain unaware the theft occurred.

As far as I know, we don't know if any customer or other information was stolen. What you're alluding to is a worst case scenario, but I won't say it's impossible. This make me wonder about other corporations possibly having their data or other sensitive information stolen yet remain unaware the theft occurred.
Its not just customer but corprate information and in the case of Dish maybe even provider information that could help hack them as well

The due date for my bill is 3/31 but I don’t trust the temporary Make a Payment link on dish.com. I thinking of mailing in a check till this all sorts out.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
I understand your concern. I did use it and did not get any email from Dish. My bank did confirm the payment was made to Dish. I suggest use your banks Bill pay for the safest way to pay.

If I were a betting man I would bet customer information was taken. Dish hasn't came out and said that no data was taken, far as I know.
Dish didn't even admit they were hacked for a while..My advice would be keep a very close eye on your credit/bank accounts

If I were a betting man I would bet customer information was taken. Dish hasn't came out and said that no data was taken, far as I know.
Dish didn't even admit they were hacked for a while..My advice would be keep a very close eye on your credit/bank accounts
They have admitted to some data but not what.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-23 123101.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-23 123101.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 64
They have admitted to some data but not what.
When they compromise you like this. You don't have logs. You didn't own your network during the attack. You have no way to know what was taken. You believe you have a DNS outage. We won't know until the bad guys publish it for all to see. This is why companies pay the ransom. Make it like it never happened. These gangs actually have testimonial pages by victims about how the data was not leaked by the cyber gang after paying, and I guess they get some kind of refund. Data Exfiltration for ransom is the business model.

Anyhow, All the Active Directories are first to go. Basically anything that ran on windows or authorized thru windows is stolen. Only real Exceptions are when the drive was full and the gangs didn't have enough free space on the victim machine to compress the data. That qbot and windows encryption system uploads before encrypting. Maybe they skipped the billers. The Linux encryption system nobody has a sample as of yet and qbot doesn't run on Linux yet so that part who knows. Boost Ran on a Linux VMware product. I don't know about AMDOCS Genesis that Dish ran on.

I think probably the majority of Dish users weren't significantly affected by this attack, if at all. Now if they were able to disable satellite transmission that would have been a whole different and huge problem for Charlie, but I don't think he would have paid any ransom anyway. One month after and it seems (at least to me) Dish is finally close to complete recovery.

BTW, I'm certain they're searching for these hackers, but I think they're a distributed networked bunch themselves. And at least some of them may even be protected by certain governments.
Funny thing, when the regional area manager was here last week and we asked about just paying the ransom, he said, have you ever seen that grouchy old guy in Colorado pay for anything? Channel disputes? Have you seen any regional sports? And then I just laughed.

Funny thing, when the regional area manager was here last week and we asked about just paying the ransom, he said, have you ever seen that grouchy old guy in Colorado pay for anything? Channel disputes? Have you seen any regional sports? And then I just laughed.
He is absolutely right and I back him each time especially this time!