Dish has made me really mad (again)

gamerxe

Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
arizona
So i hate bitching about this on the net, especially for my first post, but man Dish has screwed me (at least that is what I believe) and was wondering if this has happened to others lately (so i don't feel so bad)...

I'll put this as nice as possible, but I'm currently pissed, so no promises...Dish has screwed up my upgrade so badly that i had to cancel my service today out of frustration. When the installer showed, the order was not what i had ordered. He had me call dish and they basically told me that what the "sales guy" on the phone told me previously wasn't valid unless it was in the notes. After more than hour, yes over an hour, they finally agreed to honor what i was told i would get. This was after the installer left, so i had to get another install date for the new/upgraded system. 10 days later and another day off work, the installer showed up with the proper system. The new system installed with little troubles, partly in thanks to the helpful board here! When he was leaving he showed me all the paper work and everything looked good. Forward to today, I get this months bill on the website. It in no way reflects what was originally agreed to. Receivers were charged to my account, the programming package was changed from what i originally had, which ended up costing me way more. After spending another hour on the phone at work, the department i was talking to couldn't understand what the issue was. I made it perfectly clear, several times. Dish (several different reps) and I agreed to several things and when the time came Dish has changed their terms and expect me pay those new terms and costs, which i did not agree to. I basically told them to shut off service as of right now. So after 14 years of never switching from them, they are finally giving me an incentive to go to another provider.

I know this all sounds cryptic and could give specific details (it would just make for a boring read), but i was just wondering if anybody else has had this kind of problem lately and should i call back and give them another chance? I just don't want to spend another several hours on the phone talking to somebody who has no math skills and doesn't understand nor do they want to...

AND

how is the "other guys" service, since I most likely will give them a call..

At this point, I don't think you will be happy with Dish anyway (perhaps for good reason) so just switch, you will feel better! Perhaps you misunderstood something, perhaps they really screwed up. Either way you are not happy, if they are letting you out of the contract do it now before they change their minds.

Scott,

The installer was fine and he was actually glad that i knew a little about what was going on. I showed him how to set up a wireless joey, we tried several different connections just to see what would and wouldn't work (even though it isn't dish approved) and he was amazed that it worked. He was going to add it to his install "tool bag" if he was having problems in the future.

I don't know how to get in contact with the DIRT team....i'll go look...

Tampa,

I didn't misunderstand anything. In fact i always make it perfectly clear what i would like and what I am getting. Dish just chose to selectively record things in the notes or so it seems. I was happy with dish until this happened, hence the reason i was asking if this has happened to others. Maybe they just changed the way they choose to handle long time customers is all..and I haven't had a contract for i don't know how long and they have no choice but to let me out, since it is in the first 14 days, or so my paperwork says....

Last edited:
Hate to hear of your troubles,as Scott suggested contact Dirt.One more thing I suggest at least for future reference is to use the chat when contacting Dish and make sure to copy and save it,if anything comes up you have it in writing.

If I were you, I'd stay with Dish until the 24 month contract was fulfilled.

Both Dish or Directv have an early termination fee. If you do drop Dish, you will have to pay a etf for the amount of time left on your 24 month contract. Also, Dish will charge you $15 per receiver to return them. So if you are mad at Dish now, drop Dish and you will want to blow up Dish headquarters for the fees you will be charged.

...I was happy with dish until this happened, hence the reason i was asking if this has happened to others. Maybe they just changed the way they choose to handle long time customers is all..and I haven't had a contract for i don't know how long...

I think Dish has changed, they have become too corporate. Being a longtime subscriber, although it still holds some water, does not mean as much as it did in the past.

It probably wasn't that they "lied" to you as much as you talked to CSRs that were new, poorly trained or both. We deal with screw ups from CSR all the time. They are rarely there more than 6 months because they burn out. That being said, miscommunication is the cause of 99% of problems, pretty much everywhere.

I had a very similar problem with a Dish Mover upgrade I was doing. Because the csr talked me into changing programming before the equipment order, I lost $100 on the price for a Hopper. I almost dropped my service since I did not find out until the installer was there.

In the end, I am back on the cheaper package without paying fees for the Hopper. I think I save $15/month over what I was willing to pay. I just could not pay the extra $100 for the privilege of a higher monthly bill.

It probably wasn't that they "lied" to you as much as you talked to CSRs that were new, poorly trained or both. We deal with screw ups from CSR all the time. They are rarely there more than 6 months because they burn out. That being said, miscommunication is the cause of 99% of problems, pretty much everywhere.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I just couldn't figure out why they couldn't see the simple logic in what I was trying to explain/get resolved.

On a good note, Matt called and spoke with me last night. I should have an update this afternoon!

Mark

So i hate bitching about this on the net, especially for my first post, but man Dish has screwed me (at least that is what I believe) and was wondering if this has happened to others lately (so i don't feel so bad)...

I'll put this as nice as possible, but I'm currently pissed, so no promises...Dish has screwed up my upgrade so badly that i had to cancel my service today out of frustration. When the installer showed, the order was not what i had ordered. He had me call dish and they basically told me that what the "sales guy" on the phone told me previously wasn't valid unless it was in the notes. After more than hour, yes over an hour, they finally agreed to honor what i was told i would get. This was after the installer left, so i had to get another install date for the new/upgraded system. 10 days later and another day off work, the installer showed up with the proper system. The new system installed with little troubles, partly in thanks to the helpful board here! When he was leaving he showed me all the paper work and everything looked good. Forward to today, I get this months bill on the website. It in no way reflects what was originally agreed to. Receivers were charged to my account, the programming package was changed from what i originally had, which ended up costing me way more. After spending another hour on the phone at work, the department i was talking to couldn't understand what the issue was. I made it perfectly clear, several times. Dish (several different reps) and I agreed to several things and when the time came Dish has changed their terms and expect me pay those new terms and costs, which i did not agree to. I basically told them to shut off service as of right now. So after 14 years of never switching from them, they are finally giving me an incentive to go to another provider.

I know this all sounds cryptic and could give specific details (it would just make for a boring read), but i was just wondering if anybody else has had this kind of problem lately and should i call back and give them another chance? I just don't want to spend another several hours on the phone talking to somebody who has no math skills and doesn't understand nor do they want to...

AND

how is the "other guys" service, since I most likely will give them a call..

So a follow up is in order...

Matt has done a tremendous job making everything right again. I am still a happy DISH customer thanks to him. After he called me and we spoke, he understood what my issue was and it only took about 30 minutes to set everything straight and get my service back to what I was promised from the start.

Thanks everybody!

Mark

Glad you got it straightened out. Yes DIRT is a blessing!

I just gotta say if Dish had more Dirt they wouldn't be reporting net losses of subs near as much.In fact they might start seeing increases.

I just gotta say if Dish had more Dirt they wouldn't be reporting net losses of subs near as much.In fact they might start seeing increases.

No kidding, this person comes here with a legit problem after all else fails & DIRT steps in & resolves it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)