Dish HD equipment promotion?

Effective today Dish changed their Dish'N It Up pricing. For most customers an upgrade to any receiver other than a 922 will be FREE. There will still be the technician visit fee of $15 or $95 though. The 922 will remain the same price of $200 or $400. If a customer does not get the free upgrade the price will either be $100 or $200 depending on the receiver model.

Just tried the chat to upgrade under the latest DIU. I was able to upgrade for free with a 2 yr commitment and $15 install. The problem is I have a 722 and wanted to upgrade to a 722K w/OTA module. I was told the only way to guarantee a 722K instead of a 722 was to buy one from a dealer.

I don't see any advantage in buying. Has anyone else had any luck getting a 722K?

Hi,

I saw the Dish free HD for Life promotion and decided to check it out. They said I could get it but would have to pay $300 (DISH'n It Up offer - $200 for new HD receiver to replace my current 322 receiver, $100 for installation of new dish antenna). The rep cryptically added that, since I have been a Dish customer for just less than a year, I may qualify for a better HD equipment promotion if I waited a bit.

I called again today and was told I could get the HD receiver for a $100 "upgrade fee." I'm still a few days short of my one year anniversary date, so I'll try again next week and see what happens.

On another issue, I asked about the Multi-Sport package, which the web page says costs $5.99 a month. The rep said, however, that the price had gone up to $7 per month, effective June 3. Not sure if it is worth it.

bill

I called again today and was told I could get the HD receiver for a $100 "upgrade fee." I'm still a few days short of my one year anniversary date, so I'll try again next week and see what happens.

bill
That's probably the best you're going to get. That's the standard DIU upgrade fee.

But it was reported earlier in this thread (#7) that this had changed and that a free upgrade was available after the anniversary date:

"Effective today Dish changed their Dish'N It Up pricing. For most customers an upgrade to any receiver other than a 922 will be FREE. There will still be the technician visit fee of $15 or $95 though."

Still no free upgrade

Effective today Dish changed their Dish'N It Up pricing. For most customers an upgrade to any receiver other than a 922 will be FREE. There will still be the technician visit fee of $15 or $95 though. The 922 will remain the same price of $200 or $400. If a customer does not get the free upgrade the price will either be $100 or $200 depending on the receiver model.

Well, I have now passed my anniversary date, called today and they still want a $100 upgrade fee. Scherrman, is there some promotional code or other reference for the free upgrade offer?

Thanks for any info,
bill

Well, I have now passed my anniversary date, called today and they still want a $100 upgrade fee. Scherrman, is there some promotional code or other reference for the free upgrade offer?

Thanks for any info,
bill

Is that the installed price or just the cost of the upgraded receiver?

I suppose it's possible your account hasn't updated yet to a new status for the CSRs to quote a different price.

So far the ones that have called recently are finding that it is just the same ol' same ol' - pay to upgrade and add 2 years. Not a good deal, maybe not a deal at all.

In September I may find out for myself as I'll have passed my anniversary. But I'm not certain I want to commit to another 2 years of a 'we can change it as we want' contract with Dish because of this years double rate hike. Especially after seeing today that they don't think that is causing the net loss of subscribers.

It may turn out that September is my " free or D*" time!! :)

Yeh I'm out of contract and waiting. I doubt I'll jump unless they really do a bunch more stupid stuff as it would involve two installs, one here in IL and another in FL. I don't put it past E* to do something to push me off the ledge. My opinion of them has turned 180 degrees in the last year and a half.

How long you've been a customer, subscription package and your payment history can play a factor.

Assuming they insist on the $100 upgrade fee, would I be better off just buying a 222K on eBay? It seems they are available new for $100 or less.

Assuming they insist on the $100 upgrade fee, would I be better off just buying a 222K on eBay? It seems they are available new for $100 or less.

The 222k while serving one HDTV and one SDTV can't be turned into a DVR. The 211k serves one TV but can be turned into a DVR by adding an external hard disk drive and paying a one-time fee of $40.

I have been a Dish Customer for 12 years, my last full upgrade to a 722 DVR was in 2006. I have a 322 and wanted to upgrade or swap it out with an HD (non-DVR) receiver. They still asked for a $100 fee for an HD receiver and told me that I could it for $150 without any contract. I am very confused as everyone seems to be getting a different answer.

They also offered me a DVR for $99 but required a 2-year contract.

What is the real story here on upgrades then?

Do they work like 722, meaning, can you watch HD channels on the 2nd SD TV independently, using the tuner feed on a single coax cable?

The 222k while serving one HDTV and one SDTV can't be turned into a DVR. The 211k serves one TV but can be turned into a DVR by adding an external hard disk drive and paying a one-time fee of $40.

I have a ReplayTV so don't really care about a DVR, at least not if it means paying a $6 per month DVR fee. So if DVR is not an issue, should I buy a 222k instead of paying the $100 upgrade fee?

@anonymouse99 - My understanding is that a 222 is the same as a 722 except no DVR.http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?u=89165

I have a ReplayTV so don't really care about a DVR, at least not if it means paying a $6 per month DVR fee. So if DVR is not an issue, should I buy a 222k instead of paying the $100 upgrade fee?

@anonymouse99 - My understanding is that a 222 is the same as a 722 except no DVR.

Buying is an option as long as you already have the 1000.2 or 1000.4 antenna installed and cable run. Are you going to be adding a receiver to your account or getting rid of a receiver? If getting rid of a receiver, did you lease it from E*?

Did you IM Scherrman and ask him to clarify what the deal was?

Scherrman posted the info but he referenced it as the new DIU pricing. Where has he or anyone else said the offer is available to anyone at any time. I assume the DIU rules still apply: once per year. The poster just didn't understand the DIU limitation.

I believe what was said was "you probably will have to wait the year but you could try now".

Ross

PS there is still a 24 month commitment with receiver upgrades, that hasn't changed

During a chat to day I was offered an "Existing customer deal" to migrate to a 1000.4 from a 61.5/110/119 hybrid set up. I have a 722 and a 322. The deal was Dish would replace the 322 with a duo HD receiver for "free" along with the 1000.4 dish install all for the DHPP price of $15.00, and a 24 month commitment. So this deal is available to upgrade receivers for free. It could be a case of needing to play CSR roulette. Needless to say i did not take the deal for reasons I have stated elsewhere and often.

Ross

During a chat to day I was offered an "Existing customer deal" to migrate to a 1000.4 from a 61.5/110/119 hybrid set up. I have a 722 and a 322. The deal was Dish would replace the 322 with a duo HD receiver for "free" along with the 1000.4 dish install all for the DHPP price of $15.00, and a 24 month commitment. So this deal is available to upgrade receivers for free. It could be a case of needing to play CSR roulette. Needless to say i did not take the deal for reasons I have stated elsewhere and often.

Ross
They offered you that because moving completely to Eastern arc (all MPEG4) renders your MPEG2 322 useless. In that situation, upgrades have always been free.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)