Dish HD how are you watching the Superbowl today?

Dish HD subs, how are you watching the Superbowl today?

• In HD on special Dish ABC HD feed

Votes: 29 12.4%
  • In HD from Dish HD Locals

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • In HD from OTA using Dish receiver

Votes: 121 51.7%
  • In HD from non Dish source (cable, "D", local bar,etc)

Votes: 33 14.1%
  • In SD from Dish analog distants

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • In SD from Dish analog locals

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Not watching Superbowl

Votes: 22 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well my only options were the distant analog NY ABC and my local via cable. Not a choice really since cable was it's usual horrible self, so watched ABC 7 out of NY, which is not one of Dish's better channels anyway but seemed a little worse last night.

Like I posted elsewhere, a Dish rep told me ABC-HD should be available as a HD DNS soon (know idea what "soon" means) but Fox & NBC are still being negoiated. Also, many HD LiLs being negoiated that will eventually go on Echostar X.

So unless he was BSing, between HD DNS & many HD LiLs, hopfully this will be the last year HD networks will be an issue.

I ended up watching OTA. The picture was slightly better than the Dish feed.

I did use the Dish feed, though, for the pregame as my local affiliate was having transmission problems. I was receiving at 92%-95% and getting jumps in the frame rate, but once the game started all of that was resolved.

dfergie said:
I worked, watched last 4.5 minutes on the "local" E* analog... no OTA ava and of my Distants...Abc HD is the only one I do not get...

you worked during the superbowl? unless your job was involved with watching the super bowl you should sue for a crime against humanity

The WABC HD special New York feed looked good except for a few pixel breakup scenes. Sound was great....

I voted in HD from non-Dish source, however it's not cable, bar, friends. or anything listed.

It's my Voom receiver. I refuse to pay dish's prices for their HD DVR.

Interesting.

It looks like the Dish HD feed was helpful to some. Probably aided many thousands to see the SB in HD. So Dish probably got some good PR with the move.

And it isn't surprising that the quality from the Dish feed was a bit lower. Hard to compete with OTA.

I watched via OTA, using a cheap indoor antenna, sitting 10 miles from the tower, behind a small hill. Never even saw a dropped frame. Perfect reception.

Tom Bombadil said:
Interesting.

It looks like the Dish HD feed was helpful to some. Probably aided many thousands to see the SB in HD. So Dish probably got some good PR with the move.

And it isn't surprising that the quality from the Dish feed was a bit lower. Hard to compete with OTA.

I watched via OTA, using a cheap indoor antenna, sitting 10 miles from the tower, behind a small hill. Never even saw a dropped frame. Perfect reception.

Although a relativly small sampling, the results are interresting.

Over 4 times as many watched OTA with a Dish receiver than did with the special Dish HD feed.

I guess I'm not very good at setting up polls. I intended it to be only Dish HD subs participating but I'm not sure I was that clear about that.

One of the main things I had hoped to find out was how many Dish HD customers could have received the HD feed had it been governed under existing SHVERA as an HD DNS but missed it because it was instead a contract deal with ABC for only select cities. Oh well, maybe I'll do better next time.

waltinvt said:
Although a relativly small sampling, the results are interresting.

Over 4 times as many watched OTA with a Dish receiver than did with the special Dish HD feed.

I guess I'm not very good at setting up polls. I intended it to be only Dish HD subs participating but I'm not sure I was that clear about that.

I'm a dish sub just not dish HD. I have no use for any of their HD channels. They just don't appeal to me. And I'm not going to pay for something I can get for free over the air, especially when the quality over the air is ten times better than if I paid for it.

I'm wondering how many people actually knew about the special feed, though. If I hadn't read about it here, I would never have known. I'm surprised they didn't advertise it more.

Because then they would call attention to the fact that people who WEREN'T in those DMAs couldn't get it......

It may be time for E* to start sending out emails targeting relevant info to zip codes affected by these types of announcements. This way they can get the word out without ticking those off who can't access them....

I remember when E* sent an email via my Dishplayer telling me that Friends was a 60 minute episode that night and to adjust my timer. They did it ONCE, and never again. I wish they would do it more often (especially if these things can phone home and tell them what I am recording).

I've been surprised at the lack of messages that E* sends out. My parents are on D* and they seem to get system messages all the time. It's not that special, but still good to know that there is some communication.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)