DISH HD only package question

Yep, I was pleasantly surprised to find that when I switched from what was the BronzeHD package (America's Top 100 + HD) to DishHD only, I actually gained AMC, which I didn't previously have.

Bonus.

Reminder that AMC is in Free Preview Mode ONLY. It lasts two more weeks It is not part of the HD pack.

see ya
Tony

OK... sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but I'm trying to get my brain around this even though it seems to have been explained very clearly.

When you get the HD only package.
You can still get that PLUS your locals... correct (obviously the charge for teh locals is in addition to the HD Only package price)

You get the SD versions of whatever is in the HD Only package
-- 1. Is this "as intended"? or is this some fluke and Dish is going to turn off the SD versions somewhere down the line? Anyone got the straight skinny on that?

When new HD content is added... it WILL be added to the HD only package.... correct?

I'm looking at this seriously but I'd have to go down the channel list and talk to my family and see if they watch anything that has an SD ONLY version.
The other thing is that I get MSG as part of my regular AT250 package and I watch Sabres hockey. The games show up on Alternate channels like 447 and they are only in SD. I think I'd be missing those.

HOWEVER... if I can cut down to the HD only package it would save a HUGE chunk of change.

Q1: When you get the HD only package.
You can still get that PLUS your locals... correct (obviously the charge for teh locals is in addition to the HD Only package price)
A1: Yes, $5 extra for locals

Q2: You get the SD versions of whatever is in the HD Only package. Is this "as intended"?
A2: Yes

Q3: When new HD content is added... it WILL be added to the HD only package.... correct?
A3: Unknown, Unpublished, but Probably

Q4: ....MSG .... Sabres hockey ... I think I'd be missing those (if changed to HDOnly).
A4: Yes

Q5: HOWEVER... if I can cut down to the HD only package it would save a HUGE chunk of change.
A5: Yes :)

Here are details of Dish Networks new $29.99 HD Only Package!........If they wish, dishHD customers may also subscribe to the following:
? Local network programming (where available)
? Premium Movie Packages
? DishINTERNATIONAL programming services
? A-la-carte services such as BabyFirstTV, Bloomberg, Bridges TV, RFD-TV, Sentanta Sports, The Outdoor Channel and Veria.

Originally Posted by cparker & JH1949
Q3: When new HD content is added... it WILL be added to the HD only package.... correct?
A3: Unknown, Unpublished, but Probably
Although I fully agree that it is likely that new HD channels will probably be added to dishHD (only) package.....
AFAIK there is no assurance that ANY Dish HD package will automatically get all new HD channels at the current prices. So people sticking with the Dish HD Ultimate package expecting to get ALL new HD channels for the same price, may be in for a surprise. Especially if Dish waits until Sky Angel goes off air to do a "big event" and introduce several new popular HD channels at the same time :eek:

FWIW at the pace Dish is adding new HD, I expect to have saved quite a bit on my monthly Dish bills before this could get to be a real issue for me :) And even if it happens as early as April, I'll have saved enough for a nice Valentines dinner :)

Talon Dancer

Even though I wouldn't put it past Dish to group several new popular HD channels into a new HD add-on package -- say, 'HD Plus' -- and then charge a modest additional fee for 'HD Plus', this isn't required to support my prior comment that HD Ultimate subs might be surprised when new HD channels are added.

The HD Ultimate package includes different HD channels depending on the SD package to which it is linked. For example, AT100 + HD Ultimate does not include Animal Planet, National Geographic, etc. So it is possible that some of the new HD channels will require a sub to AT200 or AT250. IIIRC when Nat Geo HD was added last year there was some consternation expressed in this forum about why Dish required AT250 just to get this, then new, HD Channel.

IMO one of the best things about the dishHD (only) package is that we can get all the current HD channels without paying for the SD fluff :)

Talon Dancer

can i get dishHD only and keep the max's deal for a penny or will i loose it,Does anybody with dishHd still have the penny deal,i would hate to loose it if i switch ? Thanks

can i get dishHD only and keep the max's deal for a penny or will i loose it,Does anybody with dishHd still have the penny deal,i would hate to loose it if i switch ? Thanks
I have both dishHD (only) and the Cinemax penny deal. Several others have posted that they have both also.

Talon Dancer

I'm almost sure that I'm switching from my current AT200+locals package to this package, thus saving $20 per month. Do you think there will be any other fees involved, other than just the cost of receiver? As a customer for several years, is there any chance they will throw a free 622 my way, or will I definately be paying the $150? At that rate I may as well pony up $50 more for the 722.

Also, has there been any update about adding the 4 premium HD channels for an extra $10? I read that somewhere but it doesn't seem to exist (yet).

Just to clarify, do you continue to get all the Cinemax channels, SD versions and the HD channel?
Yes. We still get ALL of the Cinemax channels (SD and HD). We still get our SD locals. We still get NASA in SD. We still get all the SD shopping channels :( We still get all the SD preview channels.

BTW I have not seen ANY post by someone who switched to the dishHD (only) package and "lost" the SD channel(s) associated with an HD channel. Yes even when the SD channel carries different content (e.g. HGTV, FOOD, etc.) or when there are several SD channels and only one HD channel (e.g. premium movie packages like Cinemax)

Talon Dancer

...Also, has there been any update about adding the 4 premium HD channels for an extra $10? I read that somewhere but it doesn't seem to exist (yet).
AFAIK that rumor turned out to be just wishful thinking based on the misconception that the dishHD package was actually an HD ONLY package. It is not. It is an HD Mainly package with a lot of SD on the side :)

The Premium movie packages remain the same. As a dishHD (only) sub you get the HD channel and ALL of the associated SD channels just like you would if you sub the AT100, etc.

Talon Dancer

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)