DISH HD Only Package

wavester

Original poster
May 14, 2008
So I have a few quick questions on this (and figure I'll get better and faster answers here then actually talking to a service rep).

Locals are extra - I get that - will I still get all the locals even if they are not HD ? I'm guessing yes since I'm paying extra for them (4 of my 6 locals are in HD)

Sports Locals - I'm in the Cleveland/Akron area so will I get FSO and STO HD ?

When you get the HD only package do you still get both versions or just the HD only feed (for example would I get STO in SD an HD since the channels at times differ).

Thanks Guys
Dave

So I have a few quick questions on this (and figure I'll get better and faster answers here then actually talking to a service rep).

Locals are extra - I get that - will I still get all the locals even if they are not HD ? I'm guessing yes since I'm paying extra for them (4 of my 6 locals are in HD)

you get all your locals in both the sd and hd versions (where hd is available)

if they are a local channel, and the HD feed is offered then yes. if they are an RSN (Regional Sports Network), then no. You can always use an OTA antenna to get them if they are broadcast over the air.

When you get the HD only package do you still get both versions or just the HD only feed (for example would I get STO in SD an HD since the channels at times differ).

Thanks Guys
Dave

Don't have an answer for this one.

When I changed to the All HD package, I was surprised to still see channel 652, KBS available. There are also several channels that I really don't watch but the wife was really glad to see KBS still there. I'm not sure how that qualifies as a local, but I will take it. Anyway, I have more HD that I watch than before. Real happy with what I have and looking forward to any new channels they throw our way.

No, no regional sports networks (with the possible exception of the Big 10 Network.
Both (but not STO or FSO).
Thanks Guys
Dave
No RSNs in HD Only.

The Dish HD pack includes:

All NATIONAL HD channels (except Premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz) Big 10 Network HD is a question mark, but consensus now says no it is not part of the package.

The Standard definition counterparts ARE part of the package so far. The HD additions from this Monday have not filtered through to the SD channel yetm but that is expected today.

Local channels are $5 extra and would include the HD versions if available. On DVR receivers the OTA guide for HD channels received with an over the air antenna is enabled and allows you to use the DVR as if it were a satellite channel.

Regional Sports Networks like FSO and STO as NOT part of the package and at this point the is NO POSSIBLE WAY to have Dish HD pack and RSNs at the same time.

Though not part of the HD package, Dish is mandated by the FCC to carry a Public Interest package (Free Public Interest Programming Package) that has many channels including KBS, Classic Arts Showcase and NASA. These are all SD channels and are available to ALL Dish Network subscribers at no additional fee.

See ya
Tony

Cool that's what I thought. So it'll run me another $5 to add those on but I'm saving $24 going from the 200 package plus HD down to this one. So still a good deal.

Thanks

The Dish HD pack includes:

Regional Sports Networks like FSO and STO as NOT part of the package and at this point the is NO POSSIBLE WAY to have Dish HD pack and RSNs at the same time.

See ya
Tony

Now that sucks. You used to be able to add them for $5 (and heck I'll take SD versions if I have to but don't want to miss my Cavs games). It's not a deal breaker though. Thanks
Dave

Now that sucks. You used to be able to add them for $5 (and heck I'll take SD versions if I have to but don't want to miss my Cavs games). It's not a deal breaker though. Thanks
Dave

You could add the RSNs for $5 moving you from AT100 to AT100+. :) RSNs require AT100+ and higher. On AT100+ you could add the OOM Sports Package. You could never add the Sports pack right on AT100. :)

See ya
Tony

Dave

Unfortunately, its a deal breaker for me :( Gotta see the tribe and cavs

OK, we have new HD channels (and we have some taken away) and I am very happy because overall it is a net gain for the HD Only package.

However, it has been over 48 hours since these new HD channels have been added and I still don't have the SD equivalent of these channels.

I won't call Dish because the CSR's there will tell me I am not supposed to get the SD equivalent -- just the HD channels. I'm not in the mood for telling them how uninformed they are again.

Does anyone have any idea how long it will be before Dish sets up the SD versions of these new HD channels in the HD Only package?

Thanks!

OK, we have new HD channels (and we have some taken away) and I am very happy because overall it is a net gain for the HD Only package.

However, it has been over 48 hours since these new HD channels have been added and I still don't have the SD equivalent of these channels.

I won't call Dish because the CSR's there will tell me I am not supposed to get the SD equivalent -- just the HD channels. I'm not in the mood for telling them how uninformed they are again.

Does anyone have any idea how long it will be before Dish sets up the SD versions of these new HD channels in the HD Only package?

Thanks!

I've been wondering the same thing and have yet to find an answer. I don't feel like calling and trying to explain that to the CSR either. My 3 year old has some shows she watches on Disney and would like to save on HD space by recording the SD version.

I think it is a good possibility that E* might not do this anymore. I wonder how many people switched from a $80 bill to a $40 bill. I'd imagine more then they thought would. Could E* be trying to make the HD Only Package less attractive??

I've been wondering the same thing and have yet to find an answer. I don't feel like calling and trying to explain that to the CSR either. My 3 year old has some shows she watches on Disney and would like to save on HD space by recording the SD version.

I think it is a good possibility that E* might not do this anymore. I wonder how many people switched from a $80 bill to a $40 bill. I'd imagine more then they thought would. Could E* be trying to make the HD Only Package less attractive??
Somebody forgot to add the SD into the package flags. Same thing happened when they turned on CNN, SciFi and USA-HD. The SD channels showed up a few days later.

Just made the switch from top 250 to DISH HD only. My monthly bill is now $40.98, and I am only going to miss BBC America (hopefully HD startd up soon in time for Top Gear). Quite a saving for me, wife is happy too.

No you do not get all the sd equivalent channels with the Hd pack I am missing a few. I was hoping to have the cartoon network still in SD for my 510 dvr but no luck. Just ordered yesterday. Do you know How to get another Vip722dvr without having to commit to a 24 month contract?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)