dish hd receever ?

BengalsFan24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
i gots a ? about the dish hd receevers particly the 621 may be 612 or 722 and abot there reecordeng capassities. i notace one can reecord abot 350 hrs of programmeng thats alot but it says in sd. i have a ?. can i reecord an hd proggram in sd? if something is on tv on say a hd chanel l89ke mavtv can i reecordit but tale it to reecord in sd insted of hd have it down convert two sd in order to save hrs. do you know the anser to this ? let me no if you do.

I think you meant 622, not 621. You can not down convert HD channels. You can, however, record the SD equivalent channel, if there is one. If you are worrying about HDD space, you can always get an EHD to move programs off the receiver's HDD.

KAB is correct. You can not down convert the HD channels to save space on the hard drive, but you can record the SD programs instead. You also have to option of adding an external hard drive for more recording space :)

This is related somewhat to the OP's question. I'm due for an install soon as I will be upgrading to HD. I'll be getting the 722 as my only receiver. I'm being asked to go with AT120 but will probably change to Dish America or Dish America Silver within a few days. Does the SD channel come with the actual HD channel in that package? In other words, if I receive ESPN in HD do I automatically get the SD channel?

I'm hoping to get this install completed before this weekends NFL playoff games. I notified my installer with my receiver selection yesterday. :)

This is related somewhat to the OP's question. I'm due for an install soon as I will be upgrading to HD. I'll be getting the 722 as my only receiver. I'm being asked to go with AT120 but will probably change to Dish America or Dish America Silver within a few days. Does the SD channel come with the actual HD channel in that package? In other words, if I receive ESPN in HD do I automatically get the SD channel?

I'm hoping to get this install completed before this weekends NFL playoff games. I notified my installer with my receiver selection yesterday. :)

The DISH America packages are HD only. The HD Duo receivers will down-convert for the TV2 output so you would still be able to view all your programming on TV2.

like the others have said, you could record the SD version of a channel but in the case of your question about MAVTV, it is only a HD channel with no SD counterpart. so you wouldn't be able to save space there. sorry :(

KAB is correct. You can not down convert the HD channels to save space on the hard drive, but you can record the SD programs instead. You also have to option of adding an external hard drive for more recording space :)
Yes, Matt is correct about me being correct.:confused:

Yes, Matt is correct about me being correct.:confused:

You are correct about me being correct about you being correct :bump2:

Just so everyone knows, I really wasn't trying to undermine KAB at all (or anyone for that matter). I know that he has been here a lot longer than I have, and has helped many people (including myself with valuable feedback). We do our best to give an official response on everything that we can, and if the answer has already been given, we acknowledge it

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)