Dish HD setup?

cinnabun93

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
United States
Hi guys! A dish installer installed hd and it seemed the cable was way too long. I asked if he had any short ones to reduce clutter and he said that if I used any other hdmi cable the picture wouldn't be as good? Is this true. Since I spent around 2 grand for my new hdtv I got a Monster cable knowing that they were a ripoff, but I just wanted the hdmi cable with the fastest bandwidth. I got a 4 foot one to reduce clutter. Was the dish guy right? Will a different hdmi cable reduce picture quality? I hate clutter so I didn't want to use the 10 foot one.

Not at all in my experience. I used to be able to get monster cables on the cheap from an old job but now since using "cheaper" hdmi cables I can't tell the difference.

Spending any money above the lower prices for an HDMI cable you can find is a waste as far as seeing any difference in picture in my (and most) opinion. So knowing that, any HDMI cable will work, so you can put any shorter cable in the place of the long one. If anything, a shorter cable is better, as with most any cabling, but certainly not to the extent you will see any change in the picture.

Rip Off Cables

You can buy an HDMI Cable on Ebay for a dollar, these cables work fine with no discernible difference from the $40+ store bought cables.

Being asked to pay outrageous prices for cables is just a great big rip-off as are extended warranties and printer ink, this is where the real money is being made!

Hi guys! A dish installer installed hd and it seemed the cable was way too long. I asked if he had any short ones to reduce clutter and he said that if I used any other hdmi cable the picture wouldn't be as good? Is this true. Since I spent around 2 grand for my new hdtv I got a Monster cable knowing that they were a ripoff, but I just wanted the hdmi cable with the fastest bandwidth. I got a 4 foot one to reduce clutter. Was the dish guy right? Will a different hdmi cable reduce picture quality? I hate clutter so I didn't want to use the 10 foot one.
That's what making a loop for behind the equipment.

It's a waste of money, all you are doing is buying the name. Just like buying a Cadillac, Gucci, Rolex or any high priced product. The HDMI cable that came with my receiver is as good or if not better than some high priced hdmi cable. Many think that it is junk or inferior because it was supplied along with the receiver

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)