Dish HD Ultimate (what would make it worthwhile to you)

voyagerbob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
With the loss of the VOOM channels I know this package isn't worthwhile to most (including me). What besides adding back the VOOM channels would make it worthwhile for you?

For me, if Dish was to add the following it would make me feel much better about the price of the package:

Superstations in HD (saving those that pay for superstaions the 5.99 fee) and one of the following or just add all of the following:

MOJO HD
Big Ten Network HD
PBS HD
Outdoor Channel 2 HD
Fox Business HD

Another option would be to lower the price to $5.00 or $7.50 per month over the essentials package price or offer a credit of $5 off your bill until the package was rasied back up to at least 12 channels. OR a Free HD PPV a month until the package is raised back up to at least 12 channels

Problems with this would be those in Big Ten areas wouldn't get anything extra. Those that aren't able to get all the Superstations wouldn't get as much either.

Just some quick options I can think of to make people feel a little better.

Voyagerbob

Really nothing that is out now. If they threw Monsters back in and a few others I would gladly pay the extra fee.

Honestly there really isn't anything out there to justify having an Essentials AND Ultimate pack.

I would say 95% of the national HD-channels (aside from RSNs) that E* doesn't have all have an SD counterpart, so as they get added they'll be in the "Essentails" group anyway.

I think it's time that all HD gets put back into one package, instead of 2 tiers.

How about putting one or two of the premium movie HD's in Ultimate? I would pay $10 to have the existing lineup plus HBOHD or ShowtimeHD or both (not Cinemax, since I've got the $0.01 deal). Of course, if you're subscribed to either, then it's not worth it.

What is with you guys?
Am I the only one aware of the other Direct HD channels like their Starz package, more HBO, and other premium channels. Voom was fine, but most people are either sprots nuts or movie nuts, and I believe most movie nuts would prefer to have all the premium HD channels available. I really see no excuse why Charlie doesn't have these up and running when Direct does. It only makes me feel he has either financial or technical problems which only makes me want to defect more.

I happy the Team Summit crew had such a nice time. Too bad the rest of it are just as in the dark about it as ever. Hate to say it, Scott and company, but you're beginning to sound a little elitist. I mean, I thought information was the whole point, or at least a major point, of this thread. It doesn't even appear to be a minor point now.

Voom. They also might attract me by including all the available HD channels regardless of SD package.

A brief look at Mojo's programming doesn't appeal to me. Are they commercial free?

I like MGM and HDNetMovies, but don't consider those channels to be worth $10 a month without the Voom stuff. If Dish doesn't fix things within a month, I'll definitely downgrade.

What is with you guys?
Am I the only one aware of the other Direct HD channels like their Starz package, more HBO, and other premium channels. Voom was fine, but most people are either sprots nuts or movie nuts, and I believe most movie nuts would prefer to have all the premium HD channels available. I really see no excuse why Charlie doesn't have these up and running when Direct does. It only makes me feel he has either financial or technical problems which only makes me want to defect more.
Plenty of room for these channels now. Don't you think that factored into E*'s decision to drop Voom?

What is with you guys?

I didn't really consider it a possibility that we'll be able to get the HD channels from each premium multiplex in the Ultimate package for $10 a month, so I didn't mention it. But sure, that would win me over. I very rarely watch anything on my premiums that isn't HD anyway. Otherwise, there's not anything for them to bring in besides Voom (unless Rainbow rebrands and launches new channels).

How about putting one or two of the premium movie HD's in Ultimate? I would pay $10 to have the existing lineup plus HBOHD or ShowtimeHD or both

Well, yeah, I would pay $10 to have the existing lineup plus every other channel in the world, and all the PPV's for free, and...

Geez, people. HBO costs $14 on it's own.

Well, yeah, I would pay $10 to have the existing lineup plus every other channel in the world, and all the PPV's for free, and...

Geez, people. HBO costs $14 on it's own.

Just suggesting a single HD from a premium or two. The $14 sub pays for 9 on HBO (including Latino and HD) and the sub for Showtime is 11 channels. We lost 15 channels with no ads. Asking for 1 or two channels is not too much to ask...

The $14 sub pays for 9 on HBO (including Latino and HD) and the sub for Showtime is 11 channels. We lost 15 channels with no ads. Asking for 1 or two channels is not too much to ask...

It doesn't work that way. The subscription fee is for a service...there just happens to be multiple channels in the service.

How much did your old cable company charge for HBO back when there was only one channel? $10, $11, $12? Actually, I'm sure there are still small cable systems in small towns that only have one HBO...and they charge $13 or $14.

Encore is the only service that charges per channel, because they all have totally different programming.

Now, it IS possible that they could work something out for The Movie Channel HD, since they already have a deal to put it in the AT250 package. This would actually go a long way to fix the problem. (Although as a AT250 AND Showtime subscriber, I'm already paying for The Movie Channel twice, and this would make it 3 times.)

I think if they could add all of the hd channels that are currently in the 250 package this would keep me in the ultimate package. They could at least do this until they get other channels to add that are not in the essentials package.

It doesn't work that way. The subscription fee is for a service...there just happens to be multiple channels in the service.

How much did your old cable company charge for HBO back when there was only one channel? $10, $11, $12? Actually, I'm sure there are still small cable systems in small towns that only have one HBO...and they charge $13 or $14.

Actually, I should amend this statement. HBO doesn't charge the cable systems or DISH/Direct extra for the extra channels. But there seems to be a tendency for cable systems to charge a BIT more if they have more channels available.

I ran a quick search and found a system in June Lake, CA that ONLY has 1 HBO, 1 Showtime, and 1 TMC. HBO is $9. Showtime/TMC is $11.95

Also, the last time I had cable, they had JUST added HBO 2 & . They were charging $10 for HBO, and $12 for HBO 1 & 2. The only way you could get HBO 3 is to get the $26 package that also included Showtime, TMC, and Flix. (You could get Flix alone for $3!)

In any case, the idea that if 6 HBOs cost $14, 1 HBO must be $2.33 is completely wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)