How does Directv HD make you feel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chastulsa

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
OK now that Directv finally has some HD content I would like to know how Dish customers feel. So here's a little poll!

No show stoppers for me !, most of the new they offer has so little HD content, it worthless ! Kinda like
TNT HD and A & E. At least with Voom, Food, etc, we are getting nearly all HD content.

I have the AEP, so the additional premiums that Direct is offering would be nice to get in HD. But sure not worth giving up 622/722 for their equipment.

By the time they get some decent HD content, USA, SCIFI, et, dish will surely add them.

Last edited:
No show stoppers, most of the new they offer has so little HD content, it worthless ! Kinda like
TNT HD and A & E. At least with Voom, Food, etc, we are getting nearly all HD content.

I have the AEP, so the additional premiums that Direct is offering would be nice to get in HD. But sure not worth giving up 622/722 for their equipment.

By the time they get some decent HD content, USA, SCIFI, et, dish will surely add them.
The premiums are show stoppers IMO. I dont think Dish has as many HD channels in their movie packages. Especially StarzHD channels.

Although I continue to believe that dish will add hd programming soon, I am disappointed about the fact that they are not going out and making agreements with new HD channels like D* is doing quite regularly. Not having TBS (for the playoffs), USA, BRAVO, CNN, SCI-FI, upconverted or not, also makes me a bit upset. Dish needs to act, and act FAST!!

Although I continue to believe that dish will add hd programming soon, I am disappointed about the fact that they are not going out and making agreements with new HD channels like D* is doing quite regularly. Not having TBS (for the playoffs), USA, BRAVO, CNN, SCI-FI, upconverted or not, also makes me a bit upset. Dish needs to act, and act FAST!!

I totally agree. I do think Direct added these certain channels today to help make it easier to decide to switch. Will it work?? Who knows. Charlie better start showing us something.

I'm also not a patient person when it comes to getting new HD channels, but then I take a step back and say to myself that this is going to be a faced paced back and forth tennis match between D* and E*. One company may get all the attention one week of for a whole month for that matter but its goin to be a constant back and forth and we will all benefit in the end. I understand the feeling of wanting everything the competition has now, but just ask yourself this question..What will things look like in 6 months or a year? A whole lot better than they look now Im sure. While I might be filled with envy on the short term if something is not added to E* that D* is adding, think of the exciting things that will happen over the coming months, especially after E* send up the new bird.

I think D*'s additions are very good news. It puts a lot of pressure on E* to get some of these channels, and if they don't, it provides a good alternative to switch to. I'm willing to wait for a month or so before really thinking about switching for a couple reasons. One, it is unrealistic, and perhaps unfair, to expect E* to respond within hours or days. Two, I don't want to give up my 622 for D* DVR.

I'm also not a patient person when it comes to getting new HD channels, but then I take a step back and say to myself that this is going to be a faced paced back and forth tennis match between D* and E*. One company may get all the attention one week of for a whole month for that matter but its goin to be a constant back and forth and we will all benefit in the end. I understand the feeling of wanting everything the competition has now, but just ask yourself this question..What will things look like in 6 months or a year? A whole lot better than they look now Im sure. While I might be filled with envy on the short term if something is not added to E* that D* is adding, think of the exciting things that will happen over the coming months, especially after E* send up the new bird.

I agree. But why not go to speed, spike, and other networks that are planning launches in 08 and make deals with them to be the first to launch like D* has been doing over and over again, while at the same time, add programming that D* has added already? It would just make me feel more at ease knowing what they are adding and when they intended to add.

I agree. But why not go to speed, spike, and other networks that are planning launches in 08 and make deals with them to be the first to launch like D* has been doing over and over again, while at the same time, add programming that D* has added already? It would just make me feel more at ease knowing what they are adding and when they intended to add.

Do we know that E* does not have deals, or negotiations, in place? They tend to be tight lipped about such things until channels actually go live.

I find that the D* additions today show that they don't have the capacity for HD channels. Why would they add USA and SciFi when there is little to no HD content? They should be adding stations like FOODHD, HGTVHD, and National Geographic HD. Those three stations have quite a bit of HD content on around the clock. The reason that I believe they haven't added them yet is because they don't have the bandwidth. They are adding USA HD which will be stretched and will use very little bandwidth until there is some HD content. This will buy them a little time and they can now use the HD logo on some of their marketing.

No show stoppers, most of the new they offer has so little HD content, it worthless ! Kinda like

those were added today....

d* doesnt have the bandwidth or capacity? Its E* that has the constraints at the moment, and I would rather see them save space or add Smithsonian than waste it on upconverts like USA & Sci Fi, and yes I would like TBS for the playoffs, but once they are over, what is there worth having TBS HD for?

Unless you have E* insider info, you don't know this to be fact.

I have Starz, Skinamax, HBO, Showtime in HD, of those, Starz seems to have the most variety, with the HD PPV, really quite a bit of choices for movies.

The 622/722 is a very nice DVR, and is much better that Direct's DVR.. With the very limited amount of HD on DTV's additions, I am not going to get too excited. We have had like 5-6 times the HD for over a year compared to Direct.

I think Dish will respond soon enough

I find that the D* additions today show that they don't have the capacity for HD channels. Why would they add USA and SciFi when there is little to no HD content? They should be adding stations like FOODHD, HGTVHD, and National Geographic HD. Those three stations have quite a bit of HD content on around the clock. The reason that I believe they haven't added them yet is because they don't have the bandwidth. They are adding USA HD which will be stretched and will use very little bandwidth until there is some HD content. This will buy them a little time and they can now use the HD logo on some of their marketing.
Dont have the bandwidth? Have u checked any of the threads? D* today has more available bandwidth than anyone. E* will catch up when the next sat launches.
And USA isnt stretched at all from what i saw this morning

Do we know that E* does not have deals, or negotiations, in place? They tend to be tight lipped about such things until channels actually go live.

Exactly my point! We don't know and never seem to know anything ahead of time. Why can't they let us know their plans? D* has been telling their customers for a long time what they intend to add, but nothing from Dish. I understand that they cannot do things overnight, but they CAN let us know some things that are in the works. It is a business, and marketing/advertising is what keeps your business running. Over the past two weeks, we have heard nothing from Dish about D*'s new additions. Just a comment like, "Be patient, you will get them as well" would be great!

Exactly my point! We don't know and never seem to know anything ahead of time. Why can't they let us know their plans? D* has been telling their customers for a long time what they intend to add, but nothing from Dish. I understand that they cannot do things overnight, but they CAN let us know some things that are in the works. It is a business, and marketing/advertising is what keeps your business running. Over the past two weeks, we have heard nothing from Dish about D*'s new additions. Just a comment like, "Be patient, you will get them as well" would be great!

We haven't heard anything from E* about D*'s new offerings for the last two YEARS. I'd rather have the Dish model of promising nothing until they know they can deliver than the Direct model of saying "its really going to happen eventually".

I know we all get excited about new channels, but I don't think it matters in the long run if we have to wait a few weeks, or even months, to get a channel. If E* is way behind when the dust settles, that's when I'll consider changing.

Oops. Thought of another constraint on changing providers for me. I've got a steep roof, and don't like sending anyone up there in the winter. I guess I am waiting until Spring to make a decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)