Dish HD VS DIRECTV HD POll (switch)

How does Directv HD make you feel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
People...what came first...the chicken or the egg?

The HD content or the channels it would be played on.
Personally, I want the channels...with stretch-o-vision, sd upconverted crap...because I know that the hd content will be coming. HD produced content with no channel...well..I don't think that would happen UNLESS they have a channel up!

So with that said...I'm freaking out that I don't have USA and SCIFI HD. Come on E*. Show us the money on that uplink report.

Isn't Wed when you get it usually Digi?

So with that said...I'm freaking out that I don't have USA and SCIFI HD. Come on E*. Show us the money on that uplink report.

For the most part, yes, most of the uplink activity happens on Wednesday around lunch time (central time zone).

People...what came first...the chicken or the egg?

The HD content or the channels it would be played on.
Personally, I want the channels...with stretch-o-vision, sd upconverted crap...because I know that the hd content will be coming. HD produced content with no channel...well..I don't think that would happen UNLESS they have a channel up!

Thats a great point James,

Scifi SD quality is a lil rough anyways on a DIGI TV so having SD upconverted is better SD!!!

Sapient, I find it hard to believe that you are not the slightest bit irked by Dish's lack of a response. Maybe they shouldn't make press conferences and advertisements like D* saying at some point in the next two years, we will have all these channels, but as a Dish subscriber, you have to be a bit upset or at least puzzled. The thought of going home tonight and having to watch the MLB PLAYOFFS in SD is killing me. They could drop the hd channel after the playofffs for all I care, but at least have the games in HD.

Slanted poll again.... no option for me. I don't have either of them and probably won't until next summer.

It will probably months and months before most of these channels broadcast any significant amount of HD anyway. Even the last round of HD added by Dish (Science, TLC, Animal Planet, Discovery, etc) show so little HD content that it really doesn't matter.

Dont have the bandwidth? Have u checked any of the threads? D* today has more available bandwidth than anyone. E* will catch up when the next sat launches.
And USA isnt stretched at all from what i saw this morning

Then why aren't they using it on HD content? Instead they are adding channels as "HD" which in actuality don't have any HD content yet. I think the consumers should be very specific in requiring the providers to actually offer HD content on a channel that they are selling within the HD tier. This goes for both providers.

It will probably months and months before most of these channels broadcast any significant amount of HD anyway. Even the last round of HD added by Dish (Science, TLC, Animal Planet, Discovery, etc) show so little HD content that it really doesn't matter.

This has been progressively getting better by the week.

Sapient, I find it hard to believe that you are not the slightest bit irked by Dish's lack of a response. Maybe they shouldn't make press conferences and advertisements like D* saying at some point in the next two years, we will have all these channels, but as a Dish subscriber, you have to be a bit upset or at least puzzled. The thought of going home tonight and having to watch the MLB PLAYOFFS in SD is killing me. They could drop the hd channel after the playofffs for all I care, but at least have the games in HD.

I'm not irked in the least. I don't expect companies to respond within days to changes at their competitors. You have to remember that only a tiny fraction of viewers pay attention to what is going on with providers they do not subscribe to.

If you email Dish and ask about TBS, they will tell you they are not going to have it in HD for the playoffs. I'm not watching, so I don't really care, but I can understand why fans would want it. But it is not going to happen. That is Dish's response to that question. I emailed them to request SciFi HD ASAP. I hope they carry it within a month or two. Considering it did not exist yesterday, I don't think that is an unreasonable length of time to give them.

Then why aren't they using it on HD content? Instead they are adding channels as "HD" which in actuality don't have any HD content yet. I think the consumers should be very specific in requiring the providers to actually offer HD content on a channel that they are selling within the HD tier. This goes for both providers.
There are several that are full time HD. So they are using at least some of it on content.
The amount of HD content available on those channels says absolutely NOTHING about the amount of bandwidth that D* has available. And they have added quite a few full time, supposedly full rez HD channels. All the starz channels, Cinemax, HBO, Big Ten, Smithsonian, ect....

I have both providers, but haven't upgraded to the mpeg 4 receivers with Directv yet, waiting to see how it all shakes out and do not want a commitment as I own all of my receivers...
I also have both, but am reversed as to what i havent upgraded.

I think E* will add more HD channels to keep up. My only concern in locals including RSNs. That is were D* will seems to be taking control.

I think E* will add more HD channels to keep up. My only concern in locals including RSNs. That is were D* will seems to be taking control.
Im not trying to bash E*, like i said, I have both, but looking at your avatar, I have to say that NESN looked GREAT this morning on D*. I hope E* adds that for you soon

Keeping the NESH HD theme rolling. If next March comes and it hasn't been added I'll be switching. I'm really disappointed they didn't add TBS-HD in time for the playoffs this year but for now I'll ride DISH out for a few months and know that I'm not watching another baseball season in SD.

I think for once we are going to see a huge difference where E* is forced to add channels and their PQ goes further in the tank while D*'s improves. I think this will go on for about a year and then after 2 years they will both have the same channels and they will both be back to HDlite at which point I will bail out of satellite altogether and go to FIOS who will be the real quality HD leader. Things look great on D* right now but I have zero comfidence on it staying that way.

And premiums movie channel.

Dish has 9 HD PPVs.

DirecTV has the west coast feeds, The Movie Channel, Sho Too, Starz Comedy, Starz Edge, and Starz Kids and Family.

I know which is a better deal for my money.

To switch or not to switch? :confused:
I think the stopper for me as of now is that D* asks too much for their HD DVR ($199 upfront) and it is lacks in important features comparing to 622 unit.
Another stopper - all these channels just don't have a lot of HD content right now.
So when content will be available and the price is right ($0 as Dish does), maybe it will be an easy move.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)