Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

Ugh... I just checked the schedule for my the school I graduated from. They already have 4 games scheduled on ESPNU this season with a couple more TBD.

Although, I don't agree with your point at least you made one that time. I would have no problem debating with someone who makes an argument like you did. I just don't like the disrespectful tone you took with the last post.

Back to the point.... Its not that simple to just switch providers. Some people, like myself, are in contracts right now. I never said it was something I would switch providers over. That still doesn't mean I have to be happy about it and just be happy with every decision Dish makes. All the other major providers carry the channels in HD so the costs probably aren't as extreme as many people are saying. Of course I don't have any real information about that. It's obviously just my opinion.

I might be mistaken but our prices are supposed to be guaranteed until 2013 aren't they? If so I don't care if it costs Dish a few cents per subscriber in their profit margin. I'm a customer not a stockholder. I just want the basic television channels that all the other mainstream providers offer. Directv doesn't take a stand on all these negotiations that people defend Dish for. They somehow still keep their prices very comparable to Dish. Something doesn't add up there.

Although, I don't agree with your point at least you made one that time. I would have no problem debating with someone who makes an argument like you did. I just don't like the disrespectful tone you took with the last post.

Back to the point.... Its not that simple to just switch providers. Some people, like myself, are in contracts right now. I never said it was something I would switch providers over. That still doesn't mean I have to be happy about it and just be happy with every decision Dish makes. All the other major providers carry the channels in HD so the costs probably aren't as extreme as many people are saying. Of course I don't have any real information about that. It's obviously just my opinion.

I might be mistaken but our prices are supposed to be guaranteed until 2013 aren't they? If so I don't care if it costs Dish a few cents per subscriber in their profit margin. I'm a customer not a stockholder. I just want the basic television channels that all the other mainstream providers offer. Directv doesn't take a stand on all these negotiations that people defend Dish for. They somehow still keep their prices very comparable to Dish. Something doesn't add up there.
My attitude has to do with the fact that whining about missing these games is just what Disney wants. It won't be a few cents. It would double the price of all the properties that Disney has. That would me ESPN would go from $4 wholesale to $8. I don't want to be stabbed in the backside by Disney every month just because sports fans are missing some games. I also would feel the same if it were another company trying to double there prices too. So just realize that if E* gives it it will also hit EVERY ONE OF THE PROVIDERS ACROSS THE USA. Disney has to be stopped period.

You are wrong DirecTV does fight price increases. That's why they no longer have G4 and still don't have AMC HD and BBC America HD.

To be honest when I viewed Disney in HD on Dish when they had it to me looked like SD programming just in wide screen. I could be wrong for perhaps I viewed the wrong show.

I also feel that Dish shouldn't have to pay for the programming from Disney twice. Once for SD and once for HD. To me that's stealing my money and Dish's. That's just like when the movie Oklahoma was being made. They made it in Cinemascope and Toadd-AO at the same time with seperaste cameras. Originally Frank Sinatra was to be in it until he wanted to be paid twice for it ./ Afterall it was being shot twice. Samething with musicians back when they made mono and stereo records. They wanted to be paid for both versions.

I know some might not agree with me but that's how I feel.

Last edited:
I don't want them to pay for it twice. I thought there was already a court ruling that said Disney couldn't do that. I'm not saying give into everything they say but I do wish they would just compromise a little and get the channels back.

I am aware that Directv has problems with channel disputes sometimes. I know they didn't have versus for a while too. It just seems to happen much more often on Dish.

Yes it does seem E* has more problems in making deals. But their pockets aren't as deep as D*. Perhaps that is why. But to me if they have the money to buy Blockbuster and those defunct satelitte companies they could use some of that money for example MLB Network and full time RSN's in HD. Right now i'd take my RSN in SD.

I don't want them to pay for it twice. I thought there was already a court ruling that said Disney couldn't do that. I'm not saying give into everything they say but I do wish they would just compromise a little and get the channels back.

I am aware that Directv has problems with channel disputes sometimes. I know they didn't have versus for a while too. It just seems to happen much more often on Dish.
Now you are starting to see why I have the "attitude" that I have about it. There is no compromising with Disney. If they don't like your point of view they sue you. That is where it stands right now. All tied up in court. I hope that they get their ass handed to them on a platter and then all companies can say F U Disney you bunch a greedy so-n-so's.

I don't want them to pay for it twice. I thought there was already a court ruling that said Disney couldn't do that.
There was an appeals court ruling in E*'s favor that the original court may have misinterpreted the intent of the "Most Favored Nation Clause" in the contract. That is why the case was sent back to the Court for a re-trial.
Here is a link to a post about the appeals court decision.

Last edited:
To be honest when I viewed Disney in HD on Dish when they had it to me looked like SD programming just in wide screen. I could be wrong for perhaps I viewed the wrong show.

The quality that Disney puts out on the HD masters is fantastic. I have seen them on C band. The quality with the second gen providers is poor compared to the original.