Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

Disney, ABC Family & the ESPN's SD & HD works fine on DirecTv. I guess DirecTv payed their bill, These others providers that are having issues are trying to get by on the cheap. That just don't cut it, they ask a price for content and don't want a low ball offer.

The same thing happened with National Programming Service and C band. They thought they could dictate to Disney what they would pay. It ended up with no Disney, ABC Family and ESPN on C band for the last few years. The ones that loose out are the subscribers since they loose programming they want. :( NPS came up with all kind of excuses saying Disney was the Evil one when in fact it was NPS that was, same with Dish TWC etc. The programmers want to provide content to anyone, but the cost is the cost. When the providers go beyond the wiggle room that the programmer allows, it ends up in a stalemate.

so what you're saying is that these providers pay the exhorbitant and hiway robbery rates to the program providers? great idea.

It is more of a case of Disney/ESPN/ABC being a megacorporation with the ability to dictate terms to whomever they deem unworthy. If the Disney conglomerate did not own ESPN, this problem would not exist.

ESPN holds allot of weight and I agree that ABC/Disney tend's to be greedy. The thing is if you want their programming the providers are at their mercy. ESPN is the most costly service per month per subscriber on cable and pizza. If ESPN was dropped from basic packages the costs would go down, but everyone wants their ESPN so it is what it is.

so what you're saying is that these providers pay the exhorbitant and hiway robbery rates to the program providers? great idea.

In all honesty the costs have gone up quite a bit at the wholesale level for cable programming. But if you saw how much the program provider makes per subscriber you would wonder who the thief is. Last wholesale price list I saw it was the provider not the programmer making the most green.

Yes and providers ALSO have the highest costs per subscriber / viewer whether it be cable or satellite.

Between TWC and DISH I can only imagine that viewership will go down dramatically and also advertising $ accordingly.

Disney already owns some of the most expensive cable networks around including ESPN, which costs distributors more than $4 per subscriber, according to Wible. The Disney Channel costs almost $1 per subscriber, and ESPN2 costs almost 60 cents per subscriber.

"Disney countered that Dish was not authorized to carry the dropped channels in the first place and pointed to a favorable ruling it received in a legal battle against the satellite broadcaster. Disney also said it had been extending its deal with Cablevision for two years before finally pulling its signal"

In all honesty the costs have gone up quite a bit at the wholesale level for cable programming. But if you saw how much the program provider makes per subscriber you would wonder who the thief is. Last wholesale price list I saw it was the provider not the programmer making the most green.

Last edited:
I'm getting tired having to pay extra for HD. Come on, can you go to Walmart and able to buy a non-HD TV's anymore? Many, if not all, providers has given HD for free (even thought Dish make you sign new contract if you want free HD). But, I'm glad that only the Disney and ABC family channels are affected. My kids don't really care if they're HD or not.

Stop The Disney gravy train

I hope to see several more providers go up against the greed of Disney. They charge more for their "property" than anyone else. Much of the DRM came in when Steve Jobs become one of members of the board of directors. They along with $ony pushed the Blu-Ray format over the HD DVD and placed major DRM's in them so one has to pay over & over for the same show, since you are not allowed to archive your owned copy.

ESPN holds allot of weight and I agree that ABC/Disney tend's to be greedy. The thing is if you want their programming the providers are at their mercy. ESPN is the most costly service per month per subscriber on cable and pizza. If ESPN was dropped from basic packages the costs would go down, but everyone wants their ESPN so it is what it is.

Not entirely true. I would LOVE the chance to drop ESPN and it's associated costs. But ESPN is the one that insists everyone get it.

I want a low cost provider. If cable gets too pricey, many of us like minded people will go OTA and IPTV only. Disney needs to learn to realize that at some point we will get to a breaking point and stop feeding the sports pig* all together.

* No, Haller, I'm not talking about Dish, I'm talking about Disney.

It is a clever strategy by Disney. They get all their channels in the lowest tiers, so when they force up rates and customers drop tiers their income in not affected.

It's called extortion. It's considered against the law in Texas state prison, where I work . Too bad it isn't against the law in regards to carriage by cable and satellite providers.

I keep hearing that everyone wants ESPN, in reality many people want a subsidized ESPN. I still think if ESPN went to pay for view, we would see whether people really want ESPN. BTW, TW has a full page ad in the NYT this morning (and in section 1 of the paper) advertising their dispute. First time I have ever seen programming disputes resulting in a full page NYT ad.

+1

I keep hearing that everyone wants ESPN, in reality many people want a subsidized ESPN. I still think if ESPN went to pay for view, we would see whether people really want ESPN. BTW, TW has a full page ad in the NYT this morning (and in section 1 of the paper) advertising their dispute. First time I have ever seen programming disputes resulting in a full page NYT ad.

Good for them. Stick it to Disney show them as the bad guys that they are.

I am willing to bet TW has put a full page ad in every newspaper in the country where the serve. Oh btw, they hold over 300,000 households hostage in Western New York State alone. You are suppose to feel sorry for them, but they sneaked in their 2nd Roadrunner increase for September 1, making standalone standard roadrunner at $55 a month, from the 40 it was a couple years ago. I feel real sorry for TW:rant:

All

I am willing to bet TW has put a full page ad in every newspaper in the country where the serve. Oh btw, they hold over 300,000 households hostage in Western New York State alone. You are suppose to feel sorry for them, but they sneaked in their 2nd Roadrunner increase for September 1, making standalone standard roadrunner at $55 a month, from the 40 it was a couple years ago. I feel real sorry for TW:rant:

I don't in anyway feel sorry for them. I do want all the cable & sat providers to put up a brickwall that Disney can't break down. It is really time that Disney corp knows that they can't extort everyone the way they are trying.

Still no sense in the HD feeds still being out as they are, something needs to be settled and soon!! I'm more than glad to fork over a few extra $$ a month as well for ESPNU in HD if that's what it takes!!!

And others will follow

Still no sense in the HD feeds still being out as they are, something needs to be settled and soon!! I'm more than glad to fork over a few extra $$ a month as well for ESPNU in HD if that's what it takes!!!

If Disney getting too much $$ then the other companies are going to do the same next time contracts come up. It's time that a stop is put to gouging.

Well it's time for cable & satellite tv providers to just drop ABC / Disney / ESPNand you will see how fast ABC would be willing to renegotiate, with loss of viewers not too mention advertising revenue, sounds like TV providers have really nothing to lose if ABC is playing hardball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts