Dish HD = Xbox 360?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

OrangeCounty

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2010
Southern California
Im a noob so please bear with me.
I know you can record t.v. with your xbox 360 media center, but i just dont understand how.
Do i have to go buy a t.v. tuner for my xbox 360 (like the ones for normal computers), and connect it to my dish vip222k receiver? but will it come out on my 360 in hd?
Or do i have to connect my receiver to my laptop then send the signal to my xbox?
Please, can someone explain?

Wow:eek: You're all over the place with this question. First, Your X360 doesn't (currently) have any recording capability - it simply works as an "extender" of Windows Media Center (WMC) running on another computer in your home. WMC is currently included with XP Media Center Edition and the Home Premium and above versions of Windows 7 & Vista. As for being able to watch and record any satellite service(D* or E*) with WMC, good luck as I'm not sure if, 1: there exists a device that will capture a component video stream AND work with WMC (don't even think about finding a HDMI capturing device - MPAA will NEVER allow it) and/or, 2: An IR blaster is available for WMC in order to control a Satellite/cable set top box, which is obviously necessary to receive HD programming from your provider of choice.

Wow:eek: You're all over the place with this question. First, Your X360 doesn't (currently) have any recording capability - it simply works as an "extender" of Windows Media Center (WMC) running on another computer in your home. WMC is currently included with XP Media Center Edition and the Home Premium and above versions of Windows 7 & Vista. As for being able to watch and record any satellite service(D* or E*) with WMC, good luck as I'm not sure if, 1: there exists a device that will capture a component video stream AND work with WMC (don't even think about finding a HDMI capturing device - MPAA will NEVER allow it) and/or, 2: An IR blaster is available for WMC in order to control a Satellite/cable set top box, which is obviously necessary to receive HD programming from your provider of choice.

So there is NO way for me to use a tv tuner to record from my VIP222k onto my laptop? ugh.. i did some research and i understood that you cant record from xbox, only from laptop, so i got that. but why is it that there are people that are able to record things from channels like comedy central? is it because they have cable?

So there is NO way for me to use a tv tuner to record from my VIP222k onto my laptop? ugh.. i did some research and i understood that you cant record from xbox, only from laptop, so i got that. but why is it that there are people that are able to record things from channels like comedy central? is it because they have cable?

You'd have to use something like the Hauppauge 1212 to record from your 222 receiver to your laptop or PC via the receiver's component output. You'd be better off going with 211ks and external HDDs and paying the $40 DVR fee. It'll work much better and be easier to use unless you're looking to archive what you record.

Laddyboy said:
You'd have to use something like the Hauppauge 1212 to record from your 222 receiver to your laptop or PC via the receiver's component output. You'd be better off going with 211ks and external HDDs and paying the $40 DVR fee. It'll work much better and be easier to use unless you're looking to archive what you record.

That would be good, only problem is that im cash strapped,and I'm using the 222 for 2 tv's. Thanks for clearing it up though guys.

If you have Windows Media Center on your computer, you can connect a coax cable to it and can than record it using WMC. There are also ways to stream video from your computer to your tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)