dish hdmi cable

tski

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
does anyone know if the dish supplied hdmi cable will pass the audio. it may sound like a dumb question but the only reason i ask is because it is a hdmi to dvi with another adapter to make it hdmi to hdmi. any help is appreciated .

Not a dumb question at all. Yes, it will still pass audio. However, I do not know if it will pass 5.1 audio (added in the last update). Anyone out there using the Dish supplied cable getting 5.1 over HDMI?

I don't think it's a dumb question either. I don't really know if it will even pass audio since DVI doesn't carry audio just video. I would just try it and see what you get.

An HDMI cable should be an HDMI cable - the ability to transmit audio over it and what kind of audio it is will be based on the equipment it is plugged into.

it is a hdmi to dvi with another adapter to make it hdmi to hdmi
While I'm not exactly sure what you are using from your description, I can say that DVI does not have any audio signal. So, if you are connecting to a DVI port on one of the pieces of equipment, then no audio will be transmitted by that connection.
In order to have audio, both jacks must be HDMI.

What the OP is talking about is the dish supplied HDMI to DVI cable, they also supply a DVI to HDMI adapter. Thus making it a HDMI to HDMI cable. I know for a fact (and it has been discussed here before) that it will pass Dolby 2.0 audio over this cable. What I don't know is if it will now pass 5.1 audio as well.

The installers used to bring them all the time. Now it is hit or miss. I got them with both of my 942s and with 1 of my 622s. A good friend of mine had a 622 installed in December and got these cables as well.

What the OP is talking about is the dish supplied HDMI to DVI cable, they also supply a DVI to HDMI adapter. Thus making it a HDMI to HDMI cable. I know for a fact (and it has been discussed here before) that it will pass Dolby 2.0 audio over this cable. What I don't know is if it will now pass 5.1 audio as well.
The DVI standard does not support audio. "Digital Video Interface".
HDMI cables support audio.
622's used to pass Dolby 2.0 audio to the HDMI jack and then they upgraded the software to pass Dolby 5.1 audio to the HDMI jack.
That change has nothing to do with the cable.
---
Here is what you might be talking about.

Suppose a TV set has a DVI connector and a Digital audio input.
You can buy an adapter that connects the DVI connector and the digital audio input to an HDMI jack. That then allows you to use a regular HDMI cable to connect to a 622.
But I can't even find such an adapter at monoprice.com, so I think that installers probably simply used cables with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other to hook up 622's to TV's with DVI, or used HDMI cables and a DVI-HDMI adapter. Either way, a separate digital audio cable would be required.

What is the point of sending DD5.1 to the TV anyway? Does it have a SS processor and outputs for 5.1 speakers? I'd just use the Toslink (optical) output of the 622 directly to my SS system. I do have full HDMI/HDMI from the 622 to my TV and that does indeed carry at least stereo audio. But since my TV only has 2 speakers anything more than that is moot...

That's exactly true. (And it is also my situation).

HOWEVER, the new A/V receivers have HDMI connectors and can switch from one soure from another in one go.

In other words:
- TV source is set to HDMI at all times.
- 622 connected by HDMI to A/V receiver.
- Upconverting DVD Player connected by HDMI to A/V receiver
- A/V receiver connected to TV by HDMI.

The only other connections you need to the A/V receiver are the speaker wires.

Then, the A/V receiver can be switched from "DVD" to "DVR" and both the video and audio are switched, and it all stays in the digital domain.

The DVI standard does not support audio. "Digital Video Interface".
HDMI cables support audio.
622's used to pass Dolby 2.0 audio to the HDMI jack and then they upgraded the software to pass Dolby 5.1 audio to the HDMI jack.
That change has nothing to do with the cable.
---
Here is what you might be talking about.

Suppose a TV set has a DVI connector and a Digital audio input.
You can buy an adapter that connects the DVI connector and the digital audio input to an HDMI jack. That then allows you to use a regular HDMI cable to connect to a 622.
But I can't even find such an adapter at monoprice.com, so I think that installers probably simply used cables with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other to hook up 622's to TV's with DVI, or used HDMI cables and a DVI-HDMI adapter. Either way, a separate digital audio cable would be required.

Nope you're a little confused here (probably by the way I said it, sorry). The cable that I'm talking about has HDMI on 1 side and a DVI connection on the other side (this can be plugged directly into a DVI device and works for video only). The adapter has the opposite DVI side and a HDMI side on the other side. When you take the two together it becomes HDMI connections on both sides of the cable. When this is plugged in to the HDMI port on the 622 and a HDMI input on the other it will pass video and 2 channel audio for sure. No separate audio cable necessary Now, I have not done this since the L4.01 software upgrade which enabled 5.1 via HDMI so the question is: Does the cable and adapter now pass 5.1 or still only the 2 channel that was passed before?

The cable that I'm talking about has HDMI on 1 side and a DVI connection on the other side (this can be plugged directly into a DVI device and works for video only). The adapter has the opposite DVI side and a HDMI side on the other side. When you take the two together it becomes HDMI connections on both sides of the cable. When this is plugged in to the HDMI port on the 622 and a HDMI input on the other it will pass video and 2 channel audio for sure. No separate audio cable necessary
This cannot be true, because a DVI jack has no audio connections. So, this HDMI<->DVI<->HDMI connection cannot have audio.

Here is an easier example.

Imagine a cable that has HDMI connector on one end and a Composite Video plug on the other end. Now imagine a cable that has a Composite Video jack on one end and an HDMI connector on the other end.

If you connect the two cables together, they do not pass audio, because the composite connector has no audio pins.

A DVI connector has no audio pins.

( PS Yes, the imaginary cable doesn't work, because HDMI is digital, and composite video is analog, but it makes the point. )

That linked thread from the other site has the same argument - but in much greater technical detail. :D

The Dish DVI cable thing is interesting - it's a trick of sorts:

James Long said:
P Smith was right ... "DVI signaling support only video, not audio." But thanks to the handshake between the receiver and the TV DVI signaling isn't used, HDMI signalling is.

So, what is happening is that the DVI video pins are being used for audio, evidently DVI has as many pins as HDMI, just used differently, so when the DVI jack and plug are mated, it becomes just an HDMI cable, there is no longer any "DVI" aspect.

PS In 2007, it is actually cheaper to get an HDMI cable from monoprice.com than it is to get either HDMI<->DMI piece, let along both pieces...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)