Dish Heaters

jvstrat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 19, 2004
I am a new dish network customer. I was wondering if any of you use a dish heater to keep the snow and ice off? I live in the NorthEast and I don't want to have to climb a slippery roof to brush off my dish when winter comes back around.

I have used two of them in upstate NY. The first was a 24" HotShot that worked very well since the heater was sandwiched between two dishes. The only problem is that if you tighten the dish-to-mast bolts too tight the heater may short out...otherwise it is perfect. I dismissed it to the basement due to technology changes.

The second one was a stick-on on a Dish500. That works OK; a bit slower since it covers only the lower 1/2 of the dish. It is still in service.

The only time the heated dish is really important is when you get freezing rain and it builds up on the dish. Some snow does not make a lot of difference since it contains very little water (the stuff that absorbs the signal).

I am now in a quandary since I will soon need to upgrade to the SuperDish. No heater yet exists, at least in my searching, that will fit it. Let me know if you find one!

If I cannot find one I will probably use one of those coiled water hoses to spray hot tapwater on the dish from the bedroom window...a last resort. :confused:

Heat tapes, used to prevent ice dams on roofs, fastened to the back if the dish have been cheap and works pretty well. They have thremostats and can be unplugged and plugged back in, when there is a need as a storm approaches.

I read on some site that you can use a super-soaker filled with rain-x windsheild de-icer to spray down a dish. I think I may try that this winter and see how it goes.

Mike, I considered the 120v heat tape idea but disgarded it due to the fire potential. Even though they are made with UV resistant plastic, it will break down over time...then you have the potential of a short to your (hopefully) grounded dish or a ignition source up on your roof.

I may consider the supersoaker & blue juice. How much range do they have? :eureka

John, I too am from NJ*...about 40 years ago! Last season we had 140" of snow here. Some places snow IS an issue! Three years ago we had 48" in one two-day storm.

* Palmyra FWIW

ERSanders said:
Mike, I considered the 120v heat tape idea but disgarded it due to the fire potential. Even though they are made with UV resistant plastic, it will break down over time...then you have the potential of a short to your (hopefully) grounded dish or a ignition source up on your roof.

I may consider the supersoaker & blue juice. How much range do they have? :eureka

Never had any problem with them. I've always used the UL listed ones and plugged them in to ground fault current interrupters.

Like anything else, install qulaity and maintainence counts.

*Tongue-in-cheek*

How about running a copper line from a LP gas bottle to a grill burner mounted to the back of the dish with an electronic stove ignitor?

When your dish snows over, just turn on the gas and punch a remote ignitor button. It seconds you will be watching TV again.

In the summertime you can hinge the dish and use it for a Wok/Grill!

:D :D :D

Heat Tape

I added a 30 ft. heat tape to the back of my Superdish and it works fine. I see no more danger there than the use of it in roof valleys and gutters. Since the Superdish has a lip on the backside it is protected somewhat from the elements. Just check it yearly for wear. Saved money hooray.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)