Dish Hints at Streaming Option

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mojo Jojo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
US
Trefis from thestreet.com states,
NEW YORK (Trefis) -- Dish Network(DISH_) has been on a spree to buy distressed assets and acquire spectrum on what it perceives as cheap prices.
There has been speculation as to whether the company will use this spectrum to enter mobile data/voice market. Dish hasn't officially disclosed its intentions until recently when it stated in a filing with the FCC that AT&T(T_) and T-Mobile's deal could harm competition and potentially discourage Dish Network from entering the mobile broadband market.
Clearly the idea is to diversify its risk and position itself better against mounting competition from telecom and cable providers as well as its long-standing rival DirecTV (DTV_).

Not only does the competition pose a threat to Dish's presence in the pay-TV market, increasing Internet usage puts it at a disadvantage against cable companies.
What if the video viewing shifts drastically to Internet? Comcast(CMCSA_) will still be able to compete in TV but Dish would be vulnerable.
By picking up cheap spectrum, Dish is exploring options so that it can adapt to the online shift as this blossoms. In other words, it would like to straddle the fence by hanging on to its traditional business while providing a streaming option to consumers as preferences shift.
Our price estimate for Dish Network stands at $31.50, roughly in line with the market price.
See our complete analysis for Dish Network's stock here.
Like our charts? Embed them in your own posts using the Trefis Wordpress Plugin.
>To order reprints of this article, click here: Reprints
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.

To view the story at thestreet.com, please follow this link: http://www.thestreet.com/story/11195761/1/dish-hints-at-streaming-option.html

I said it before but will say it again...

I do believe DISH will offer some kind of streaming in the future... you should see the data center they are building currently. Its HUGE!

I said it before but will say it again...

I do believe DISH will offer some kind of streaming in the future... you should see the data center they are building currently. Its HUGE!

Do they have a plan for the streaming? Seems more and more internet companies are doing away with unlimited data. Will they offer their own service for the streaming?

Do they have a plan for the streaming? Seems more and more internet companies are doing away with unlimited data. Will they offer their own service for the streaming?
I am sure they do... but they are not going to say anything until they are ready. :)

Never show the cards your holding until its time.

I hope that if Dish does offer streaming in the future, it is better than Netflix. We have 2 Mbs internet - checks at different sites to be more like 2.5 Mbs. Streaming is great everywhere EXCEPT Netflix. We dropped the streaming and are keeping our 1 at a time DVD.

Best I can get is 6.1 down and .7 up. DSL with CenturyLink. Supposedly I can get UP TO 12 down with Charter but Charter's service stinks. I'd never go with them unless I had to. CenturyLink has provided excellent service in my personal experience.

Ed

I am sure they do... but they are not going to say anything until they are ready. :)

Never show the cards your holding until its time.
One thing that I noticed recently is that the installers are now really stressing about having your receivers connected to either the internet or a phone line. I think having the installer connecting a new receiver to the internet is now becoming standard in receiver installations. Back in February when I upgraded to a 722k, the installer wanted to connect it to the internet using the powerline adapter, but the adapter didn't work for whatever reason. Now I just have my 722k connected to a phone line but if I ever need it to connect to the internet, then I'll just get the $25 wi-fi adapter.

They already have international programming streaming over a new box they have. Can't remember what it's called.

Do you guys really think that hugesnet would be able to handle all that bandwidth?

I read one news story that quoted Charlie Ergan saying that if he were building Dish Network today, he would NOT be heavily investing in satellites. Interesting as DISH recently DROPPED it plans out of the blue for the "tweener" sats it really wanted and fought for a few years ago. Or correct me if I got the dropping "tweener" part wrong.

IMHO, I really do believe that we won't see Dish add any more slots, and, in fact, I have always believed that their ultimate, long term plan was 119 & 110 ONLY for all services after the leases run out on the leased slots because technology in the next 10 years will probably allow Dish to put 50 HD, 3D or even 4K channels per Xpndr. We can't even begin to imagine the advancements in 10+ years.

I read one news story that quoted Charlie Ergan saying that if he were building Dish Network today, he would NOT be heavily investing in satellites. Interesting as DISH recently DROPPED it plans out of the blue for the "tweener" sats it really wanted and fought for a few years ago. Or correct me if I got the dropping "tweener" part wrong.

IMHO, I really do believe that we won't see Dish add any more slots, and, in fact, I have always believed that their ultimate, long term plan was 119 & 110 ONLY for all services after the leases run out on the leased slots because technology in the next 10 years will probably allow Dish to put 50 HD, 3D or even 4K channels per Xpndr. We can't even begin to imagine the advancements in 10+ years.

I think you are right about the technology. Who even heard of mpeg 4 ten years ago? Imagine mpeg 8 or 10? I can see more and more hd channels being put on one transponder without any loss of pq.

I disagree with that rosy scenario. Mpeg-2 or mpeg-4 are like "low-hanging fruit". Once picked, the rest become harder and harder to reach.

I don't know if this is the place to post this: I just purchased a hugesnet gen5 system. the problem is that I have to manually switch the up link pol to RH or LH. I would think someone would have made a auto switching LNB TRIA.

I don't know if this is the place to post this: I just purchased a hugesnet gen5 system. the problem is that I have to manually switch the up link pol to RH or LH. I would think someone would have made a auto switching LNB TRIA.
Once it's setup, you should never have to change it. Why do you think you have to?

Holy seven year old dead thread brought to life Batman

batman-pow.jpg

Speaking of Dish's streaming option, has anyone else noticed that when using the Disney app (More Video Services) on the Hopper or Wally to watch a show (such as Cloak and Dagger from Freeform) and they insert an ad for a pay-per-view movie, it is a Sling Television ad, not a Dish ad? That seems odd, since I am watching the show on a Dish receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)