New HBO CEO Hints At Standalone Streaming HBO But Seems Unwilling to Challenge Traditional Cable In

I see more of them doing it also but they are going to have to be reasonable to keep customers and compete :)

I wonder if they are waiting for contract renewals with some cable companies. I could see HBO needing to alter some terms in contracts to allow a standalone service to effectively compete with cable. They could be waiting for all their current contracts to be renewed with new language.

They'll probably give it some sort of deal where it would be like $10 a month or some price that, while cheaper than getting HBO with cable, will not make much sense and people will want to get HBO on the tv with the HBO Go included free.

I think it will be at least double that, and they'll partner with other providers to decrease the price. They'll want to make sure people don't cancel their $15+ /month sub and go streaming only.

Could see them doing a lower priced service with VOD offerings too. They have to consider their home video market too, not just their paid video business.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts