Dish Hopper black screen and restarts - after wireless internet?

sharoni

Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
Ashville, Alabama
We've had several different Dish receivers over many years, but recently were upgraded to a Hopper and 2 Joeys. This worked very well for 2 weeks, and I decided to connect to our wireless router. No problem. The next day we woke up to a black screen. I went through the troubleshooting steps several times and finally got to watch TV last night for a couple of hours. This morning... black screen again. After an hour on the phone and lots more unplugging power/cables, resetting, waiting, etc. we finally got a picture again but within half an hour our Hopper was restarting itself again. No technician available until Saturday. Could a bad internet connection contribute to the restarts? We have terrible internet service where I live but I didn't think that it would affect things this way????

I thought about that, but during the short time that I actually had a signal, I didn't find a way to turn off the automatic connection to wireless. It may be there, but if so it is hidden.

Black screen may not have anything to do with your wireless.

It may be a failing Hopper if you can't even bring up the menu or guide.

Or it may be related. He just added wireless connection and the problems just started. The OP must disconnect the wifi to the Hopper and see the results to know.

We've had several different Dish receivers over many years, but recently were upgraded to a Hopper and 2 Joeys. This worked very well for 2 weeks, and I decided to connect to our wireless router. No problem. The next day we woke up to a black screen. I went through the troubleshooting steps several times and finally got to watch TV last night for a couple of hours. This morning... black screen again. After an hour on the phone and lots more unplugging power/cables, resetting, waiting, etc. we finally got a picture again but within half an hour our Hopper was restarting itself again. No technician available until Saturday. Could a bad internet connection contribute to the restarts? We have terrible internet service where I live but I didn't think that it would affect things this way????
I have seen black screen on about three Hopper's before, it was associated with non response hard drives, I have a hard drive in my position, when ever I put it in a hopper, I get solid black screen

What do you use for internet? If it's a mifi, that's a known issue to cause some of the problems you're seeing

There wasn't any way to check anything on my system last night because now the Hopper doesn't start up at all. I have a green light, but other than that... nothing. We turned in a request for a technician on Wednesday but they won't be here until sometime on Saturday. So much for college football.

Reactions: charlesrshell
There wasn't any way to check anything on my system last night because now the Hopper doesn't start up at all. I have a green light, but other than that... nothing. We turned in a request for a technician on Wednesday but they won't be here until sometime on Saturday. So much for college football.
The hard drive is shot, the only way around this is to disable the hard drive, until the the technician arrives

Reactions: HipKat
On VIP (722) with a bad hard drive the receiver will disable it itself and act like a non-DVR receiver, not sure if the Hopper can do that.

If it could, it should have already done it - sounds like more than a bad hard drive.

Reactions: pattykay
On VIP (722) with a bad hard drive the receiver will disable it itself and act like a non-DVR receiver, not sure if the Hopper can do that.

If it could, it should have already done it - sounds like more than a bad hard drive.
Some Hopper developed solid black screen, most likely from the early morning update, once you disable the hard drive, you get picture, minus the DVR function, colour icons, joey software and a few other things

Yes, it can. I had one of each earlier this year (ViP722k and Hopper 1) and they both acted the same way with a bad hard drive. I somehow got the ViP722k to recover to full functionality with the existing drive, but I went ahead and replaced the hard drive anyway, just to be on the safe side.

Yes, it can. I had one of each earlier this year (ViP722k and Hopper 1) and they both acted the same way with a bad hard drive. I somehow got the ViP722k to recover to full functionality with the existing drive, but I went ahead and replaced the hard drive anyway, just to be on the safe side.
In this case the receiver cannot reach to the point to the disable the hard drive, it is block by some error from the hard drive, have done two separate dwelling with this problem, have to let the owners disabled the hard drive, I also have a third receiver like this, that I removed the hard drive, I have a next hard drive, whenever a put in a Hopper, I get constant rebooting, I bet if OP disable the hard drive, it will boot, followed by the hard drive error message, then picture

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)