DISH Hopper Internet Connector Info

Well the HIC is just for people who have the router in a different location and do not have very good WiFi. Wireless doesn't always cut it. I prefer to have mine connected by wire.

Agree, probably much less potential for problems and support calls with the HIC than with wireless.

It's not really a line item they are looking to make a profit on anyway. Sure they want to cover their costs, but more importantly they want folks connected for the data capture and revenue producing potential.

When I asked if the HIC was always neded, I was told the preferred connections are 1) Ethernet to the Hopper, 2) wi-fi to the Hopper, 3) HIC.

My router is in the bedroom but I ran a cable tithe living room a long time ago and put a 4 port switch behind my 722k. So I should be good to go. All my room are wire with at least 2 coax cables so the install for my house will be easy money for an installer If dish won't let me install it myself. All the cables are accessed at the attic entrance too. I'm glad I planned for the future back then.

Does anyone know if the current USB net gear wireless Internet link stick that I am currently using on my 722 will work? I know that it was posed previously that it should support a wireless USB option.

BobaBird said:
When I asked if the HIC was always neded, I was told the preferred connections are 1) Ethernet to the Hopper, 2) wi-fi to the Hopper, 3) HIC.

From what I saw that's is what it looked like too but I can't see wireless being preferred before wired.

Tyralak said:
No. The Hopper doesn't have Homeplug compatibility built in. You CAN use Slinglinks in pairs with the Hopper, though.

One should be able to use the HomePlug network adapters though. Correct?

Edit: I see. The Slinglinks are network adapters.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
I'm confused. I just have a two TV setup. Can I just run an ethernet cable from my router to the hopper and then the coax to the Joey? Or does the Joey need to be connected differently for internet access?

I'll have to get this as my router is in the other room from where the main Hopper will be. At least I'll be able to plug the DISH receiver into my surge protector. :) I never liked that about the 722k we have now....

Neutron said:
I'll have to get this as my router is in the other room from where the main Hopper will be. At least I'll be able to plug the DISH receiver into my surge protector. :) I never liked that about the 722k we have now....

I know they say dont plug it into a surge protector cuz it wont work, i have set up many systems where the only option was thru a surge protector and still made an Ip connection. If you havent tried it, you can give it a shot. If you have, then you are one step ahead.

Dishman1978 said:
I know they say dont plug it into a surge protector cuz it wont work, i have set up many systems where the only option was thru a surge protector and still made an Ip connection. If you havent tried it, you can give it a shot. If you have, then you are one step ahead.

The signal will pass through the cheap surge protectors, and maybe a few of the more expensive ones. The lower end ones circuitry is less complex to the more expensive ones allowing the data to pass through.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

When I talked to Dish I was told that if you are able to connect an ethernet cable to the Hopper or any Joey then the whole system will be connected. The HIC will allow you to get the system connected if your router is in a different room. I believe a coax cable will run from the HIC back to where the Node or Tap is.

The ethernet port on the back of the Joey is for future use only. A HIC will be required to provide internet access if unable to achieve a direct connection to the Hopper.

The ethernet port on the back of the Joey is for future use only. A HIC will be required to provide internet access if unable to achieve a direct connection to the Hopper.

Hmm. That's not what I was told when I asked. Perhaps you have better reason to believe that though.

I think I read here that the HIC is needed BECAUSE the Joey ethernet ports won't be active at launch. I can't remember where I read that, but I believe it came from Scott? :confused:

I think I read here that the HIC is needed BECAUSE the Joey ethernet ports won't be active at launch. I can't remember where I read that, but I believe it came from Scott? :confused:

Certainly not just because of that. It looks as if the hopper will act as a router or bridge and is the preferred connection method. Even if the Joey's port was enabled a Joey still may not be easily in wired proximity to the router.

The HIC gives techs another wired connection option without having to run Cat5.

If the joey port is disabled, my personal wild a** guess is it may be as much an attempt to prevent Joey connections over plain ethernet until when/if Dish is ready to support it.

Again, its all just conjecture, but things are slowly coming into focus.

Correct, it is in one of the MANY Hopper/Joey threads.

OK, Riddle me this, Batman! :D

I have internet coming into my home through my home office via the cable jack. There is only one cable jack there (Time Warner is the provider). There is no TV in that room at all. I have very good wireless (super fast, streams outstanding for Netflix and even BB@home). Will they do a HIC or a wireless adapter? If they do a HIC, will another cable need to be run? I don't really understand the tech side of this equation but I'm sure someone here can help.

Also, I have a 722 with the wireless USB adapter. Will that work with the Hopper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts