Dish Hopper OTA adapter and Guide info

Ray_Clum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
So, thanks to my friends at Dish Depot, I have my OTA adapter for my Hopper. Pick up all my Indy locals nicely. However, I’m missing a lot of guide data. Also on the two channels that Dish is having a contract dispute, the guide says XXX has pulled from Dish, on the OTA channel.

Shouldn’t the Hopper pick up the guide data from the TV signal? Or do I have to keep the locals package to get guide data?

Shouldn’t the Hopper pick up the guide data from the TV signal?

No, the PSIP data is so funky and typically only extends into the future a day or two. So Dish pays for guide data from a 3rd party and sends it down from the satellite. That includes most OTA channels and subchannels, but with some missing data here and there.
Or do I have to keep the locals package to get guide data?

Years ago that used to be true. But it's supposed to remain these days. Did you have locals via satellite before? Perhaps you need to wait for the complete guide to come down.

That is a long standing disappointment with Dish. They never use PSIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HipKat
So, thanks to my friends at Dish Depot, I have my OTA adapter for my Hopper. Pick up all my Indy locals nicely. However, I’m missing a lot of guide data. Also on the two channels that Dish is having a contract dispute, the guide says XXX has pulled from Dish, on the OTA channel.

Shouldn’t the Hopper pick up the guide data from the TV signal? Or do I have to keep the locals package to get guide data?
Wait for the overnight guide download by Dish for your local OTA channels.
If a local shares a frequency you may get duplicate guide information. Example here in Chicago ABC WLS & IND WPWR share. The guide info for ABC is duplicated on WPWR.
All national network & local PBS is correct. It's worth the 144 dollars a year savings.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)