Dish Hopper, TV Everywhere??

1tufgt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I've read their material but someone with personal experiance explain to me how the hopper system and the TV everywhere work? Are you able to watch all TV channels with the TV everywhere using the slingbox?

the hopper/joey gives you hd dvr in any room in the house you have connected
the sling adapter (sold separately) allows you to access the hopper remotely if you have it connected to broadband

Sling Adapter (I paid $30 for it from DISH) plugs in an USB port on the back of the Hopper. The Hopper must be connected to the Internet (it has an ethernet port or you can use the HIC=Hopper Internet Connector).

Then you load up the DISH app on your Android/iPhone phone and you can stream live TV or stuff saved on your DVR via your Hopper. You can also use the website dishonline.com to watch it on a computer. You can watch any channel you subscribe to. It has the guide and you just select the channel and it prompts you to record it or watch live. It will use one of your available tuners and show up on your TV that someone is watching something remotely.

I have 896kpbs upload on my DSL modem and it struggles to do HD streaming. No issue with SD. You need 1Mbps+ upstream to have decent HD.

Here is a screenshot of SD on my HTC Incredible phone:

456221_946470199371_947107281_o.jpg

The sling adapters in the last 6 months have varied in prices. From free to $100, with rebates or without...I paid $25 for one and got the 2nd adapter free. I ordered my 2H/4J on 3/15 the first day available. I have one adapter on each hopper, my Internet (DSL) connection is a little slow (5.5mb download & .61mb upload) cause I live in the country. But I really like alot, you can change channels, watch recorded shows on your DVR. Sometimes I can connect in HD, but usually it is SD due to my slow Internet service. I use both adapters and connect to the one that has an available tuner. I use my 3G iPhone and several other computers to watch TV.

Sort of on this same line....does the Dish app allow for remote programming as Direct's did? If so, is it only if sling adapter connected? I installed the app on my phone but do not see availability to set recordings, etc. and cannot connect to my DVR but I do not have the adapter either.

Yes, you have the option to watch or record. You can look ahead and record future programs.

Good question ... I am a 3 month customer of Dish....and an ex 12 year customer of DirecTv.
With Direc I had an app on my phone and could program my DVR remotely. The sling adapter main function is to watch your home programming remotely on a phone, tablet or computer. And you can also program your DVR with that same Dish app. If you only wanted to program your DVR like DirecTv, you probably can go to Dish online and do it.

If anyone knows anything different please respond, for I am still new to Dish too.
Thanks !!

I'm sorry, I guess I'm a bit thick but I cannot see how to do this. The Dish asp won't allow it and Dish Online doesn't seem to either. Can you tell me where our supply the link?

Does your Hopper have an Internet connection?

With the DISH App on your phone, you should see the guide? I can hit MENU and see MY DVR. I do have the Sling but I was able to manage my recordings before I got it.

Just a quick note on the Sling. Yesterday I called DISH to activate a replacement Hopper (what an issue, took me hours to go through the different settings, resets, updates, etc. - but that's another story).

While speaking to their rep, the lady tried to sign me up for additional programming. Instead I asked if there was a better deal on the Sling. She said no, but placed me on hold to check. When she came back, she said she could sell me one for the normal $50 price, but would immediately credit my account for $25. I said yes, so I'm looking forward to receiving it.

Not a bad week. Because of the AMC situation, I got a free Roku, $10 off for 12 months, and now a half price Sling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)