Dish hypocrisy sinks to new low - Do they think we're all stupid!

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
How else can one react to the fact that a few days ago I get my bill which included the "2009 Programming And Pricing Changes" leaflet along with my particular price increase.

Today I get their emailed newsletter which includes the following:

"DISH Network is still proud to offer our lowest everyday prices and pleased to announce that we are freezing pricing on popular packages and services.
No Price Changes for 2009
DISH Network HD programming packages ? BronzeHD, SilverHD and GoldHD
Most popular Premium movie channel packages
DishFAMILY and other basic all-digital programming packages
Local channels
DishHOME Protection Plan
Additional television connections"

Do they really think we can't see through this kind of ploy or that we have such short term memory loss we don't recall what they spew from one week to the next?

I know I call Dish out on occasion but this surprises even me. It's like they've got some kind of idiot at the helm.

They are offering $10 a month discount (for 12 months) with a 2 year contract extension to most customers

I read it that way at first also. But i think they are saying there is no increase on these 6 things.(Not everything just these 6)
No Price Changes for 2009
1)DISH Network HD programming packages ? BronzeHD, SilverHD and GoldHD
2)Most popular Premium movie channel packages
3)DishFAMILY and other basic all-digital programming packages
4)Local channels
5)DishHOME Protection Plan
6)Additional television connections"

Definitely a low/sneaky way of advertising it. To me, no price changes for 2009, means that. NO PRICE CHANGES.
It should say no price changes on these services, but then they wouldnt fool anyone that way.:rolleyes:

That's my point - it seems like it's never straight forward with Dish. It's so often that tacky spin that insults your intelligence and makes you feel like you just got scalped by an un-reputable used car dealership.

I've also heard that they aren't changing the price on the action of the installer ringing the doorbell. :lol:

This business with DISH is getting downright seedy.

That's my point - it seems like it's never straight forward with Dish. It's so often that tacky spin that insults your intelligence and makes you feel like you just got scalped by an un-reputable used car dealership.

Please list the corporations that do not use such tactics !

I think you need to start reading Dilbert:

The official Dilbert website with Scott Adams' color comic strips, animation, mashups and more!

in order to get an idea of the real world, instead of your fantasy world where marketing guys are altruistic monks. :rolleyes:

In answer to the OP title - yes!

To kstuart - not every corporation uses these tactics, and it is not necessary at all. If you feel you must defend Dish in this instance, than you are just stooping as low as they are.

And Dish says the Cableco's are bad......sheesh!

Please list the corporations that do not use such tactics !

I think you need to start reading Dilbert:

The official Dilbert website with Scott Adams' color comic strips, animation, mashups and more!

in order to get an idea of the real world, instead of your fantasy world where marketing guys are altruistic monks. :rolleyes:
At least you didn't dispute me this time. I think that's a first for you Ken and I'll take it as a step in the right direction.:)

As for listing companies that don't pull this crap, I agree, there probably aren't many left but then I believe you're smart enough to know that kind of rationalization serves no constructive purpose and only perpetuates the problem(s).

Let me ask you (and others) a simple question: Judgment of the reality or fantasy of my expections aside, which type of tactics would you rather see Dish (and all those "other" companies) use? Straight forward, up front honesty (that nobody else uses anymore) or the kind I accused them of (that you didn't dispute)?

In answer to the OP title - yes!

To kstuart - not every corporation uses these tactics, and it is not necessary at all. If you feel you must defend Dish in this instance, than you are just stooping as low as they are.

And Dish says the Cableco's are bad......sheesh!
I don't think he's "stooping" to anything. I expect he really believes his apologetics regarding Dish and I respect his right to those opinions. I just have a different opinion. Obviously I still think them better than the competition or I wouldn't continue as a customer. That said, I still despise less than honorable behavior from any source, which is why I speak of Dish and Charlie the way I sometimes do.

To kstuart - not every corporation uses these tactics, and it is not necessary at all.
I'm still waiting for examples of major corporations...

Of course, it is not necessary.

Marketing is not necessary. In Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Earth is evacuated in two starships, one with the doers and thinkers, the another one with "marketing consultants, hairdressers and telephone santizers". The second one is sent to a different location....

If you feel you must defend Dish in this instance, than you are just stooping as low as they are.

Show me were I am defending Dish ??

Show me were I am defending Dish ??

Umm, you pretty much excuse Dish with an "everyone does it" statement implying that since many other companies do it so, it's OK. So maybe you don't defend Dish, per se; however, that's what I perceived from your post and apparently so did Yaz. I do recall you marking out on Dish before, just my worthless opinion.

Dish probably press released that there will be no (more) increases for 2009 right after the latest increases took effect so they'd be legally correct.

Nick the d___

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts