Dish Install on exhaust pipe

Toyzruskid1976

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Dayton, OH
Anyone familiar with this? apparently in the past 6 years my neighbors trees grew way out of control and they now block my line of sight by about 4 feet. My only option is to have the satellite installed on the exaust pipe (it's on a higher elevation)

Anyone have any insight on this? I have to go through a sub contractor to do it if I want it.

Last edited:
i wouldn't want it on one of my vent pipes. why not buy a tripod for it?

No where to put the tripod

I have 10*10 patio area that I can utilize and previously I had the Dish Network satelite mounted in there. The installer states he can't get a good line of site from where the other satellite used to be. I'm running out of options and I don't want to go back to cable.

I kicked DirecTV out of my house because of how shady the installer was, but now I'm wondering if the DirectTV sat is in a different area.

I also have a chimmney pipe where they could mount, not sure how that would work. I've also looked at the Non penetrating roof mounts for slanted roofs. Do installtion companies get into using those? I'm not ready to give up.

It might help if you tell us if you rent or own? Is it a condo, apartment or house. Are some of the rules your refering to set up by a home owners association? Each variable presents a different solution.

I own my condo. It's a 1 story ranch with 5 other units.
I can put it on the roof so as long as it's a non-penetrating mount.

My neighbor had various issues with her line of site (she's closer to the trees than I am) and she ended up having it mounted to her vent pipe... which is why I figured I could have mine done that way. I'd rather not have it done like that, but I honestly do NOT want to go back to cable.

trees.jpg

Yeah... and as you can see the line of site goes right into the trees.
But like I said, I had a dish mounted there 5 years ago and had no issues, nor did the previous owners. (and this was even after they put in the super dish for HD)

The picture above is where I'm thinking I could place it with a ridge mount.
It was originally in that area north east of the marker in that white area (my interior patio)

Where can I get definitive info on the Eastern Arch? I did some research and googling but didnt find anything hard core.
I'd like to mention this to the sub contractor when he calls, but would like to be prepared.... will DN work with me on using this solution?

Also... installers.... my installer used a hand held eye glass to look at line of site.... don't you have an electric gizmo that will for certain tell you what the signal strength is from a given point?? Having had a satellite before with no issues with the current tree situation, I really want them to attempt the install because I know for 2 years we had PERFECT satellite reception.

TO THE OP .. MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A CAST IRON VENT PIPE *****not pvc*****

THEN IF IT IS A CAST IRON PIPE YOU NEED A QUICK PIPE ADAPTOR... THE ARE VERY EASY TO INSTALL.. JUST 2 PINCH BOLTS

Dayton's locals are NOT on Eastern Arc, in case that's a "requirement" of the OP. Worse, I don't think that even if he were to pay for them (and not get them) would he get guide data for the locals that he may pick up via OTA. The guide data, at least at one time, was not on any EA satellites.

Dayton's locals are NOT on Eastern Arc, in case that's a "requirement" of the OP. Worse, I don't think that even if he were to pay for them (and not get them) would he get guide data for the locals that he may pick up via OTA. The guide data, at least at one time, was not on any EA satellites.

fellow Daytonian...

Honestly if I could get my local channels and manually set DVR timers I would be content so as long as I could get all the other premium channels

I went outside today and came up with a few ideas.

An install at the pinnacle of my roof using the eave mount (doesnt go through the shingles obviously)

Ridge mount at the pinnacle

Eastern Arc 1000.4 satellite antenna

In the same place as my old super dish (still scratching my head why 5 years it worked with the same tree growth)

I'm just tired of TWs games and would hate to eat crow and craw back to them

here's a shot of the LOS

Also you can see the high eave that I'm wondering if they could use to mount

HPIM0474.jpg

if you look to the left, that's the line of site for the EA... perfectly clear

The installers use a compass and a clinometer. I made my own clinometer with a hand level and a piece of foam board seeing they can cost upwards of $100. Another tool I used was a website Sun or Moon Altitude/Azimuth Table that told me where the sun/moon was at any given time. Factor in daylight savings time and magnetic declination and you can get a decent idea of where the holes are between the trees.

The best is dishpointer.com. Just check show obstacle (line of sight checker).
Then just move the red balloon to see how high something has to be to be in the way.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts