Dish Install

finplanner69

Original poster
Jan 11, 2021
Texas
I need to upgrade my hopper and Dish wants to send a tech out. I want the equipment to do it myself but they won't do it. Any work arounds to just get the equipment so I can install myself?

You could purchase the equipment from another site, such as Solid Signal. They would ship it to you, and you can install it yourself. With purchased equipment, you get the advantage of the new lower monthly equipment fees. Purchasing the equipment would also allow you to avoid a new two-year contract for the upgrade. Finally, when you cancel your Dish service, you would not have to return the purchased equipment to Dish. It is yours to keep, or you could resell it to get some of your money back.

You could purchase the equipment from another site, such as Solid Signal. They would ship it to you, and you can install it yourself. With purchased equipment, you get the advantage of the new lower monthly equipment fees. Purchasing the equipment would also allow you to avoid a new two-year contract for the upgrade. Finally, when you cancel your Dish service, you would not have to return the purchased equipment to Dish. It is yours to keep, or you could resell it to get some of your money back.
You seem to be a pro at this stuff based on your activity on these forums. :) Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the Hopper 3 will automatically report its phsyical location when it is activated? Trying to hang onto my local channels. I've been dealing with defunct receivers for a couple of years now because it is so important to my work that I keep the locals I have.

Of course if he is upgrading his Hopper 2000 or Hopper 2 to a Hopper 3 he is going to need a bit more than just the Hopper 3. He would have to get 'hybridized' with a Hybrid LNB or 42 switch. He needs a hybrid hub. It's not plug and play.....
That is why I said "the equipment" and not just "the receiver." Without knowing exactly what upgrade he was looking for (Hopper 3 would be logical, but I try not to assume anything) I made my answer as generic as possible, to cover all of the bases.

Reactions: finplanner69
You seem to be a pro at this stuff based on your activity on these forums. :) Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the Hopper 3 will automatically report its phsyical location when it is activated? Trying to hang onto my local channels. I've been dealing with defunct receivers for a couple of years now because it is so important to my work that I keep the locals I have.
The locals you receive are determined by your listed service address. The service address and billing address do not have to be the same. I'm currently using a Mt Jackson, VA service address for instance, and receiving the correct Washington, DC DMA locals, but my billing address is in upstate NY. Tomorrow I'll change my service address to Max Meadows, VA and receive the Roanoke, VA DMA locals. Dish does not know where my Hopper physically is, only where it's reported to be by the service address. In order to receive the locals, the receiver and dish do need to be located within the spot beam footprint for that DMA of course. My other Hopper is still located in upstate NY, but it no longer receives the locals for that DMA, and is well out of the spot beam footprint for my current service address.

Hopper 3 does not automatically report its location, as far as I know. Even if it does, Dish really doesn't care which locals you get. The only thing that might change your locals is if you actually make any changes to the programming package you subscribe to. Even then, the most Dish will do is ask you if you are still physically in the area of the market where your locals come from. (I had a Dish agent ask me that when I was making changes to the equipment on my account. Of course, the only programming I subscribe to is the locals, with the Locals Only core package. That package is only available in certain markets, so they have to be extra careful with that package.) Just tell them yes, you are still at the same address, and they will not hassle you about changing the locals.

That is why I said "the equipment" and not just "the receiver." Without knowing exactly what upgrade he was looking for (Hopper 3 would be logical, but I try not to assume anything) I made my answer as generic as possible, to cover all of the bases.
I wasn’t trying to diss your post. I just wanted to make it clear that the Hopper3 wasn’t going to be a simple plug and play.

So I would be able to send Dish back the old receivers I'm using and remove the monthly fees?

I am indeed looking at the hopper 3. My old receivers are constantly having an error that says it cannot find the channels. Dish said I needed to upgrade as those receivers are having problems. So for two tv's I would need the hopper 3, a joey, and a hybrid hub?

Thank you all for all the help!

So I would be able to send Dish back the old receivers I'm using and remove the monthly fees?
Technically, yes the fees would be removed from the Equipment section from the bill, but they would be replaced by new Service Access Fees for your additional TV's. The new fee would still be lower than what the old Equipment fees for leased equipment were, though.

I am indeed looking at the hopper 3. My old receivers are constantly having an error that says it cannot find the channels. Dish said I needed to upgrade as those receivers are having problems. So for two tv's I would need the hopper 3, a joey, and a hybrid hub?
Yes, that is correct. You would also need either a Hybrid LNB to install on your dish, or a DPH42 switch to add to your old DPP LNB, which would then convert the signal to Hybrid for use with the Hopper 3. If you are looking for a Joey 3 (the latest, fastest, and smallest model) then I happen to have one available for sale. I listed it in my Wally and Hopper Duo thread in the Classifieds section of this site. Send me a private message, and I can make you a deal.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The Hopper3 I'm buying says it is a mdl hopper3 with sling. Are there different models or issues I should be aware of? I've already confirmed with dish that it is free and clear to be set up on my account. Then I'll replace my duo node with the DPH42 switch and call and activate equipment. Anything I'm missing? Great timing on this because the hardrive on my primary hopper just totally died. Sucks to lose all those recordings.

Thanks everyone!
Tiff

The Hopper3 I'm buying says it is a mdl hopper3 with sling. Are there different models or issues I should be aware of? I
All Hopper 3's have Sling. Dish simply chose to continue to emphasize the "with Sling" in the logo (just like they did for the Hopper 2 logo) while adding a very tiny 3 next to the Hopper logo for the Hopper 3. That 3 is very easy to overlook, so it does cause some confusion here from time to time, when people are trying to tell the difference between the two different "Sling" Hoppers. (Hopper 3 has the red racing stripe along the bottom of the receiver, making it easy to tell at a glance which one is a Hopper 3, though.) The Joey 3 logo is the same way. If you just glance at it, then it looks like it just says Joey. There is also a tiny 3 there, though. The Joey 3 is a very small, thin receiver, also with the red racing stripe. This makes it easy to tell which one is a Joey 3.

I need to upgrade my hopper and Dish wants to send a tech out. I want the equipment to do it myself but they won't do it. Any work arounds to just get the equipment so I can install myself?

Do your install, call Dish and order the upgrade. Have the tech deliver the equipment and activate it.

Or just buy it outright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)