Dish Installation Improvement

pmart

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Puerto Rico
MY actual Dish Network legacy installation (see attachment) has several flaws as follows:
- Unable to receive signal from both sattellites in all TV's
- Unable to receive CTV in all channels

I have included in the attachment a recommended setup diagram for your inputs to correct these flaws.

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Pmart

SOme additional data:

Two dishes 48" each, recommended for PR, simulating a Dish 500 environment.
-One dish pointing at 110 Sat with dual legacy LNB
- One dish pointing at 119 Sat with Single legacy LNB
- One 811 receiver for HDTV
- Three 311 receivers for SD TV's

Thx for your support,

Pmart

Attachments

• dish installation proposed.doc
    35.5 KB · Views: 422
None of your receivers are dual tuners. Take out all the diplexors.

You only need one line to each receiver. Get rid of the SW21. Feed that LNB into the SW34. Take all the outputs from the SW34, one per receiver. That's it.

What is CTV?

The CTV my guess would be Cable TV and The Diplexer are inserting Cable on to the Dish signal. Just my guess!

focusmold said:
The CTV my guess would be Cable TV and The Diplexer are inserting Cable on to the Dish signal. Just my guess!
If that's the case, I think the better solution is to take the cable directly to the alternate video source on each TV, without going through a switch.

Correct CTV stands for Cable-TV. Diplexers are needed to split cable-sat signals at receiver end.

Thx

Pmart

Proposal looks good you might need to amplify the cable signal due to amount of splitting you are doing it depends how good a signal they are providing.

Seriously, why don't you just just get a SW44 multiswitch and avoid having to do all the complicated wiring? It's much simplier this way plus it's probably cheaper then having to buy an extra DP34 and 3 SW21 switches. Or even consider upgrading to DP equipment. DP duals and a DP34 multiswitch can be found cheap on eBay.

Don't forget that you will need a diplexer after the multiswitch for each of the 4 lines going to your receiver. From your diagram it looks like you have CATV going into your SW34 and it shouldn't work that way. You will also probably want to amp your CATV signal because you are splitting it 4 ways along with the extra signal loss going through several connections each.

All SW44 switches are for legacy. If the switch's model starts with SW, it's for legacy equipment. If it starts with DP, it's for DishPro. The only exception is the DPP44 which goes both ways. It's basically the same thing as the SW64 just without the 3rd set of inputs.

cdru said:
Seriously, why don't you just just get a SW44 multiswitch and avoid having to do all the complicated wiring? It's much simplier this way plus it's probably cheaper then having to buy an extra DP34 and 3 SW21 switches. Or even consider upgrading to DP equipment. DP duals and a DP34 multiswitch can be found cheap on eBay.

Don't forget that you will need a diplexer after the multiswitch for each of the 4 lines going to your receiver. From your diagram it looks like you have CATV going into your SW34 and it shouldn't work that way. You will also probably want to amp your CATV signal because you are splitting it 4 ways along with the extra signal loss going through several connections each.
Have you ever seen a SW34? He is using Directv Multiswitches with a TV/Cable input and misslabeling it with DISH model numbers. :)

If I can find a Dish Network SW44, I'll follow your recommendation. The SW34 has two inputs ( 18V/13V signals ) and a regular OTA/CATV input.

Really appreciate your input, you just saved me a couple of hundred dollars !!!!!!

Pmart

boba said:
Have you ever seen a SW34? He is using Directv Multiswitches with a TV/Cable input and misslabeling it with DISH model numbers. :)
You know, come to think of it, no I never have seen a SW34. That would probably explain how his setup works now. I was wondering where the diplexer was that inserted the catv signal. Didn't pick up on that obviously.

your solution

I've been visiting this forum for awhile, but after reading this post, I had to register to help this poor guy. The SW34 is for legacy Dish 300 installs. It allows for using a DLNBF for up to 4 receivers with ota (CTV) if you want to put diplexors at the receivers. The SW44 is a legacy Dish500 switch that allows for 4 receivers with 2 DLNBF's, but no ota and it requires a power supply, which isn't always convenient. What I would do if I were you is get 2 Dish Pro LNB's, a DPQSS34 switch which will allow for up to 4 receivers and 3 dishes plus ota and is cascadable if you wish to add more receivers and a diplexor at each receiver and you will be set. Most Dish Pro LNB's are designed for use on the D-Tube smaller dishes so, assuming you are using Channel Master/Andrews 1.2M dishes you will need the feed adapter (forget the part number, but ends in 02 and is the smaller one) and you will need to remove the plastic cosmetic shell from the LNB. The only reason I know all this crap is I'm an installer in Alaska and we have the same issues. We use a 1m for 119 and a 1.2m for 100 and a 30" for the 148 and it works pretty ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts