Dish Installation Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tjcnole

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
Pensacola, Fl
I'm thinking about installing a pole for a dish. What diameter pipe and how deep should it be sunk? Not sure yet if I go with DISH or DirecTv, but I want to be able to mount eithers "big" dish on it. I live in NW Florida if it matters. Thanks

It's called nominal 1-1/4" pipe, although the actual diameter is 1-5/8 or 1.665 inches. It should be buried about 18-14 inches in your area in concrete.

I 65" or 72" long galvanized chain link fence line post costing $5-8 at Home Depot or Lowe's is you your most economical choice.

You all ARE aware that if he needs an E* SuperDish, the OD needs to be 2"... ;) ;)
You probably are going to need to decide which dish you're going with BEFORE you attempt to sink a pipe.

Also, be sure to have an anchor through the bottom end or welded to the end of the pipe. If you sink a cylindrical pipe in concrete without one, it will spin after the concrete hardens. I would also recommend schedule 40 pipe to be on the safe side.

Another tip I use is to fill the pipe/tube almost to the top with concrete, it really helps stop any flex in the tube/pipe when using a heavy dish. I don't do pole mounts often as.........

A/ No one wants to pay for it.......

B/ We (MN.) have to dig at least 3' to get below the frost line, if not the pole WILL move in winter.

Always a good idea NOT to put a dish on a roof : )

charper1 said:
Also, be sure to have an anchor through the bottom end or welded to the end of the pipe. If you sink a cylindrical pipe in concrete without one, it will spin after the concrete hardens. I would also recommend schedule 40 pipe to be on the safe side.

I always use a muffler clamp. There is no welding or drilling, and it's about $1 at Auto Zone or Advance.

tjcnole said:
If I use a 2" pipe would I still be able to mount a D* dish on it? I would want the Phase III dish, I'm sure.

No,

The pipe must be exactly 1-5/8" in outside diameter for a DirecTV Phase III dish. The 2" actual diameter pipe is for a Type I Dish Network SuperDish.

Size 1-1/4" nominal water pipe or Rigid conduit (not thinwall) has the actual 1-5/8" actual outside diameter that you need.

For the Direct Phase III or a Dish Network 500 dish a line post for a chain leinght fence will work. For the Dish Network Super Dish a terminating post for chain lenght fence will work. Flatten one end of the pole with a hammer about one foot, that will stop it from spinning in the concrete. If you are going with the wider pole for Super Dish fill the pole with concrete as PSB said, it will help should you encounter high winds. Good luck.

Hi guys I am new but I got a twin lnb 500 dish with a switch buil on it I get 110 and 119 ok but I want to add 61.5 whith it what kind of swish box I nedd on oder to get all three of them thanks

A Dish Pro 34 switch. also make sure that you have or get a Dish Pro LNB for the second dish for the 61.5