Dish installed last night, no grounding??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's why I made my previous grounding recommendations. Most any discharge would go directly to ground, since there would be a compliant conductor from the dish to the service entrance mast and directly down to an approved grounding electrode.

The system ground is the often forgotten cheapest and most important part of a home electrical system.

chaddux said:
The first thing he asked when he got here was "where is the electric meter?" as if that's the spot to install it. I don't know if it makes a difference but the house is 21+ years old and the cable TV has always entered at the spot. I didn't like the fact that he didn't cap the old wires from the cable TV service. We do have a lot of very trees so at least the dish isn't the tallest thing around. :)

No matter....

There is an unknown fact that scientific studies have shown that lightning has the most devastating on wiring underground.

It appears evident that your home is over 20 years old, since it appears to have a 100 amp meter service box. In those days, the main ground was to a metal water pipe. Since 1996, the NEC has been revised, because grounding has been found to be inadequate.

Like I said, it should be attached to the cooper wire going to the main grounding rod with a split bolt. Wasn't sure about attaching to the meter box. I don't ground anything thatway....now I know why...

Mike500 said:
No matter....

There is an unknown fact that scientific studies have shown that lightning has teh most devastating on wiring underground.

It appears evident that your home is over 20 years old, since it has a 100 amp meter service box. In those days, the main ground was to a metal water pipe. Since 1996, the NEC has been revised, because grounding has been found to be inadequate.

At least there is no water pipe near that location. Shouldn't something be connecting that metal pipe to the ground?

And what does underground wiring have to do with my installation?

chaddux said:
At least there is no water pipe near that location. Shouldn't something be connecting that metal pipe to the ground?

And what does underground wiring have to do with my installation?

The cable goes from either the meter box or panel to a water pipe inside the house or below the slab. The 1996 NEC updated the code to require the second electrode and ground rod outside of the building, since a lightning strike would likely cause a fire, when travelling inside the house structure to the water pipe.

The note about underground wiring is to illustrate the false security of conventional wisdom that lightning only is attracted to metal objects in high places.

Mike500 said:
The cable goes from either the meter box or panel to a water pipe inside the house or below the slab. The 1996 NEC updated the code to require the second electrode and ground rod outside of the building, since a lightning strike would likely cause a fire, when travelling inside the house structure to the water pipe.

What cable?

Mike500 said:
The note about underground wiring is to illustrate the false security of conventional wisdom that lightning only is attracted to metal objects in high places.

At least I don't have any that I know of. There is one cable come up from the ground but I have no idea what that is.

Prior to 1996, the grounding cable was allowed to be placed inside of the wall structure even close to combustible material such as wood.

PSB said:
The cables should NOT be zip tied or attached in any way to the electrical mast : )
This is the is 2nd most violated code in satellite installs (1st is non grounding to NEC and local code)

If the mast is plastic, then why can the phone company ziptie to it? I see that everywhere.

goaliebob99 said:
if the lines go to your basement they could be grounded inside.. take a look

Good idea. When I move into a house with a basement, I'll check. ;)

Called the installer today.......got this reply "I've been installing Direct-TV and Dish for over 5 years. Have done as many as 10 in a day. Have probably only grounded 5 total in 5 years. So, you will be fine. Don't worry about all that stuff with the system not being grounded. It won't hurt anything the way it is"

So, tomorrow, I will call the company that I bought it from and have a talk with them. I'm going to ask if they will promise to pay for any and all damage to anything in my home that is ever damaged due to the system not being grounded. I'm sure that they won't . The only way that I'll be satisfied is for them to send out a different installer and ground the system!!

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to get their attention?

Thanks

Actually, you should call E* directlly, and then you should call thed building/electrial inspector in your area and report to him EXACTLY what the installer said. If he is intentionally not grounding systems, he is going to end up in a world of SH*T. Do NOT allow this to continue. Hopefully, he can be caught and brought to realize he is endangering lives.

Would calling the inspector get me into any trouble though? Maybe the guy that I dealt with to order the system & programming will be of more help tomorrow. I won't quit until they come properly ground the system.

From the sound of it, this guy is a real hack - "done as many as 10 in a day" !?!?!?!

No way any of those installs are worth anything. :no

I'd call EVERYBODY - even the newspapers!

cpa4u said:
Would calling the inspector get me into any trouble though? Maybe the guy that I dealt with to order the system & programming will be of more help tomorrow. I won't quit until they come properly ground the system.

You are not responsible for bad installations unless you know there is a problem and don't report it. Nail this guy please.

Ok, just got off the phone with the manager at the company I bought from. Here is his response, "Not all the systems have to be grounded. If we can't find anything to ground it to, we don't". My response was that according to NEC they ALL have to be. He says "our guys are all certified and probably know more about installations than you do. So, I think we did it right. I'll have the installer call you" I told him that I had already spoken to him and he said it didn't need to be grounded either.

So, what are my options now? Call dish? Call electrical inspector?

cpa4u said:
Ok, just got off the phone with the manager at the company I bought from. Here is his response, "Not all the systems have to be grounded. If we can't find anything to ground it to, we don't". My response was that according to NEC they ALL have to be. He says "our guys are all certified and probably know more about installations than you do. So, I think we did it right. I'll have the installer call you" I told him that I had already spoken to him and he said it didn't need to be grounded either.

So, what are my options now? Call dish? Call electrical inspector?

Once again, this is flat out lying. Grounding is a requirement, not a choice. I'm not saying I have properly done every install, but if you are getting this kind of BS, call the inspector's office, call E*, and call the papers. Good Luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)