Dish installer damaged my roof!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just noticed that the dish installer damaged some roof shingles with his ladder. WTF? Why didn't he tell me? I am sure he must have known. I just had this whole roof replaced a few years ago. Will dish pay for this damage to be repaired? I paid a lot of money for this roof and now shingles are broken. I can't take a pic right now. It is pouring rain.

"A few years ago"? Was that this decade? or in 1900's? New shingles bend. Old, weathered shingles break. I call BS.

The roof was replaced in 2008. I paid a lot of money for it. But the fact of the matter is the installer damaged it without saying anything.

A ladder is about 2 feet wide so that's about 2 shingles they should only be hanging over about 1 inch from your drip edge and only a few years old they should have not broken .how was the installer to get on your roof if he did not put up a ladder on the shingles he would of put a scratch in your gutter .Really I thought this was a satellite forum where we all came to read about and post about some really interesting stuff .

He didnt need to get on the roof. A DTV dish mount was installed on the corner of the house at the top. This is the side of the house. Gutters are in the front. He should have put the ladder on the siding. If this bores you, don't read it.

I have pics. Not posting them here. Too many asshats.

Your confidence is telling.

Seriously though, even if it is just one shingle, you do have the right to a repair from whomever caused the damage. Just don't make a big production out of it. Insurance company? Really?

Scherrman said:
We had a customer about 6 years ago accuse us of ruining their roof. They were going to sue us if we didn't pay for repairs. We looked up the account and found out we did the install a couple years before and the roof was already in bad shape. We went and took pictures of our install and you could clearly see that everything was done correctly and all penetrations were sealed. The area around the dish seemed to be about the only area that didn't rot away from water damage. Once we showed them the proof and didn't give in they no longer bothered us anymore.

Yea I had one of those types of customers also.

We had installed the Dish on the over hang, and the customer was claiming that the dish caused his roof to leak and damage the ceiling in the bathroom about 20 feet away.

The whole house was falling apart, and we purposely mount the dish on an over hang whenever possible so If it did leak, it wouldn't damage the inside of the house.

I played along with it to the customer and went and took pictures to cover my butt if we got sued

In all my 14 years, I never actually seen a Dish cause a roof to leak.

Dumbest thing I saw was an installer mount a Dish to a flat roof. That was his first job and last job the guy did for me. I had to go get a roofer to patch the holes properly. Thank god it was for a friend of mine, and not a regular customer.

Your confidence is telling.Seriously though, even if it is just one shingle, you do have the right to a repair from whomever caused the damage. Just don't make a big production out of it. Insurance company? Really?
The damage is very minor. Only one shingle. I'm not making a big production. It may sound like I'm freaking out here, but I'm not. Mabye just venting since a paid 8K for for something that now has damage that is clearly visible. Not trying to scam dish. I am not like that. I just want it fixed. Here is a pic. How would any of you like to see this on your 4y old roof? The dish is mounted in the upper left corner.

Attachments

• IMG_1407.JPG
    IMG_1407.JPG
    592.7 KB · Views: 284
YEs, this is damage, but from what I see in the photo I would consider it cosmetic. Try and straighten the shingle edge and maybe use a little adhesive to hold it in place. I actually would be more concerned with an attempt to replace this shingle causing damage to the integrity of the roof system than the edge tear that I see in the photo.

The damage is very minor. Only one shingle. I'm not making a big production. It may sound like I'm freaking out here, but I'm not. Mabye just venting since a paid 8K for for something that now has damage that is clearly visible. Not trying to scam dish. I am not like that. I just want it fixed. Here is a pic. How would any of you like to see this on your 4y old roof? The dish is mounted in the upper left corner.

There is a ladder attachment to "stand off" the ladder from causing this kind of damage. Think of a C with the two legs pointing 90 degrees from the ladder.

Do most roofs has the shingles hanf over the edge like that? Aren't they normally a liottle more flush with the edge?

Do most roofs has the shingles hanf over the edge like that? Aren't they normally a liottle more flush with the edge?

Actually, quite a bit more flush. I have done my share of roofing jobs, and I can say very confidently that this one was done wrong. The shingle should overhang the rake edge by about 1/2" to 3/4", no more. I'd guess the ones in the picture are 1" to 1 1/2".

That's what this whole post is about???????? Is there a stronger word than overreaction?

That's what I was thinking. I've helped shingle a few roofs and have been on my fair share doing Dish work and have never really seen that much over hang before. I'm not a roofer though so that's why I asked.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts