Dish Installer Here Now, Taking away 148 and replacing with 129?

rwcmick

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi,

The dish tech is here installing my new 622 and he is linking it to 110, 119 and 129. I used to have 110, 119 and 148. He says that I no longer need 148. I though I needed it for certain local stations in the SF Bay Area. Is it true that 129 will fully mirror all that I had on 148?

Shhh... Don't tell him this but:

He could have just repointed the 148 dish to 129.:bounce :eureka

Or did he actually replace em both with a Dish 1000?!

As mentioned above the SF locals are on 129. I hope he didn't install a D1000 and just repointed the D500 pointed at 148 to 129. The signal on 129 is weak for us in the West Coast and you will get rain fade if the signal is too low.

he's repointing the 148 to 129. but we have other problems. he can get 119 but not 110. i told him that it all worked fine yesterday on my 510. he's disassembed everything and putting it back. now he's trying a different receiver to see if it is my 622. it doesn't make any sense! i don't think he knows what he's doing!

There's no reason repointing a dish from 148 to 129 would cause you to lose 110. Those cables shouldn't even be touched. What kind of switch is he using to connect the Dish 300 and the Dish 500?

Okay, so that installer was highly incompent. For over 1/2 an hour he was telling me that my 622 was bad. He went a got a non dvr receiver, fiddled around for another 1/2 an hour and all 3 satellites came in. He said tha proved it was my receiver and was ready to leave. I said wait, let's plug the 622 back in. Sure enought now all 3 Sats came in. "Oh," he says, "It looks like I fixed it." Whatever.

So now that he is gone, I have several concerns:

1. 129 is being received on a dish 500 and it's signal strength is between 50 and 55. he says they "all do that" and not to worry. is this the case? should i be worried about 129 at only 50 on a clear day?

2. i have distant locals, but now that 148 is gone i will not be able to get cbs in hd (as mentioned above). should i have them come out and put in a dish for 148 so that i get it? or will the sf bay area getting hd channels fairlyl soon? i was told that even though i get distant locals, i don't qualify for distant hd other than cbs.

1) Yes, you should be worried. I get mid 70's with a D500 and an I adapter and when it's raining I see it drop to the mid 50s. So you will lose your signal when it rains.

2) You can try and call them but the SF HD locals should be coming in soon. Possibly this month once E10 is operational.

Signals low for sure, but the installer may not have been as incompetant as you think. I have had new and reman receivers when running a checkswitch fail to show one of the sats and yet when its ran a second or third time it pops in for whatever reason. What this has lead me to believe is that there is an issue with either the receiver and an intermitant failure or a problem with a switch/lnbf. When this happens I explain the situation to the customer and ask them to watch the system to see if they suddenly loose channels and to contact dish asap and give the tech support people my notes.

Yep what he said. I am near the Canada border in Wa state. Just about as far off the 129 footprint as you can get. It was very cloudy and rainy last night and my Dish 500 pointed at 128 got mid 70's as was fine. So if he only got you 50's I would go out and peak it some more!

You can gain between 5 to 10 pts. using the I adapter because the LNB's focus position is on the center of the dish. With the Y adapter, the LNB's focus position is on one side of the dish. The Y adapter is for two satellite locations, the I adapter is for a single satellite location. Hope it makes sense.

RandallA said:
You can gain between 5 to 10 pts. using the I adapter because the LNB's focus position is on the center of the dish. With the Y adapter, the LNB's focus position is on one side of the dish. The Y adapter is for two satellite locations, the I adapter is for a single satellite location. Hope it makes sense.

It makes perfect sense. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts