Dish Installer Question

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
I have a question for any Dish TV installers out there that would like to figure out for me. If I switch to Dish TV I want to rig my home up the best I can to make the wife happy. We presently have cable with three dvrs and TVs all over the place. I would like to know which satellites I will need to use. My zip code is 62269 in the St. Louis area. I want the everything package with locals and HD. Also, want the super station package, sports package, and the Pentagon channel. The Pentagon channel I think is 61.5 so I know I will need two dishes. Will 129 need to be used? Can I get by with two 500 dishes? I don’t want all the headaches I have read about the 1000 dish is having pulling in 129. Will dish let me purchase three 622s and one 322 (eight tuners total)? I also plan on using the DDP 44 switch. Will Dish TV let me have an eight tuner service? Thanks to all that respond.

Is that the Dish TV order hot line? I want to be up to speed before I talk to them. Also, I think I am going to use a long time local retail Dish rep shop to do the install too.

Is that the Dish TV order hot line? I want to be up to speed before I talk to them. Also, I think I am going to use a long time local retail Dish rep shop to do the install too.
Then talk to them, really most of your Q's deal with setting up your house and its best to have someone walk through it with you. Do you want hd? this plays a role. Do you want dvr functionality and on how many tvs? this again plays a role. How many tvs do you want hooked up? another role. Are you ok with some tv's mirroring others if you have more than 6 tvs to hook up? yet another role.

Now to answer your question.

St. Louis HD locals are on 118.75 so you'll need a Dish500+ for 110, 118.75 and 119, and a wing dish probably a dish500 with a single DP lnb pointed at 61.5. These will be hooked up to a DPP 44 switch.

Receivers: well they will probably limit you to lease a 622 HDDVR and a 211 for HD and you can probably also get a 625 SD DVR. Those three will give you 2 "live"HD streams and four or more SD streams for 6+ TV's. If you purchase 622's run $400-450 each and the DPP44 can support up to 4 dual tuner receivers.

I would go directly to the retailshop and deal with then instead of calling Dish.

I was worried about all the comments on the Dish 1000 too. I recently got set up with a 1000.2 and got 90's signal strength on 129 even though I'm on the west coast where its supposed to be the worst.

Jim was recommending 61.5 because the OP wants the Pentagon channel. But since he's also a sports fan, there's a decent possibility that if an HD RSN is added it will come from 129. Might even already be there for all I know, so check Dish HD Channels.

Viewing 5 satellites will require the DPP44 and a DP21 for each tuner. So each receiver viewing the 5th sat will need 2 satellite feeds since the DP21 cascade disables DPP switching.

The Dish 1000.2 won't be used because STL HD locals come from 118.75 which requires a Plus dish (500+ as Jim suggested, or 1000+ with the add-on 129 LNB).

Dish will normally lease up to 4 tuners. Anything beyond that must be purchased, up to a maximum of 6 receivers. So you can lease 4 tuners in a 622 and 322 (maybe 222 instead?), and purchase (2) 622s for 8 tuners in 4 receivers. Be sure to keep them all connected to the same phone line to avoid calls from the audit team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)