Dish installer says satellite cannot be installed.

wateringthebush

Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
For reference, I live in Little Rock, AR. Zip: 72204

To start off, I am completely new to any type of satellite TV, and was really looking forward to getting Dish. I had an installation scheduled for today. I purchased the package through VMC Satellite online, and then called Dish to setup my package, and the installation, etc. The guy came out today and when he knocked on the door, said he could already tell the install probably would not be able to be done due to trees.

He went ahead and surveyed a side of the house in the back almost right next to the house, and went on the roof and surveyed a small portion in the same area from the roof. He said that due to a branch hanging out from a tree in a neighbor's yard (approx. 75-100 ft away) that the install most likely would not work. If it did, there would probably be problems later on. He also said in another area of the roof that some of the limbs in our yard almost right over the area were blocking it.

I've read up on threads about the trees and limbs, and know that we could do some trimming and try that area he looked at again. But, my question is, he did not go out into the yard any and try any spots out there. Is there a reason that he may not have done this? Admittedly, we live in an area of the neighborhood that is a tiny bit of a valley, but from what I've seen in the neighborhood a few houses have theirs mounted into the yard on poles. Also, from reading up on using a homemade inclinometer, it appears an area in the backyard may be able to get a good enough line of sight to pull a decent signal.

Should I call Dish and have them send out another person to check out the area in the back again? The installer basically said it wasn't worth messing with the install, as it most likely could not be done, or would not be worth the trouble. He then called Dish to cancel the install, saying that "really no 2nd opinion was necessary".

Sorry for the long post, hope it wasn't a mess to read!

wateringthebush said:
For reference, I live in Little Rock, AR. Zip: 72204

To start off, I am completely new to any type of satellite TV, and was really looking forward to getting Dish. I had an installation scheduled for today. I purchased the package through VMC Satellite online, and then called Dish to setup my package, and the installation, etc. The guy came out today and when he knocked on the door, said he could already tell the install probably would not be able to be done due to trees.

He went ahead and surveyed a side of the house in the back almost right next to the house, and went on the roof and surveyed a small portion in the same area from the roof. He said that due to a branch hanging out from a tree in a neighbor's yard (approx. 75-100 ft away) that the install most likely would not work. If it did, there would probably be problems later on. He also said in another area of the roof that some of the limbs in our yard almost right over the area were blocking it.

I've read up on threads about the trees and limbs, and know that we could do some trimming and try that area he looked at again. But, my question is, he did not go out into the yard any and try any spots out there. Is there a reason that he may not have done this? Admittedly, we live in an area of the neighborhood that is a tiny bit of a valley, but from what I've seen in the neighborhood a few houses have theirs mounted into the yard on poles. Also, from reading up on using a homemade inclinometer, it appears an area in the backyard may be able to get a good enough line of sight to pull a decent signal.

Should I call Dish and have them send out another person to check out the area in the back again? The installer basically said it wasn't worth messing with the install, as it most likely could not be done, or would not be worth the trouble. He then called Dish to cancel the install, saying that "really no 2nd opinion was necessary".

Sorry for the long post, hope it wasn't a mess to read!

You are entitled to a second opinion. Since you are pretty far south, you have a good angle on the satellites and a tree branch that far away shouldn't be a problem. Without a picture and knowing the height of said tree, it's hard to say but no harm in having a second opinion.

It should also be noted that there are quite a few nightmare stories about VMC. Be warned

I've done some intalls in Ark (Rogers, Bentonville, Fayettville) and elevation there is about 48*, that's pretty steep and unless you have some super tall trees you should be able to come up with something. Did he consider a dish for 110/105 and a second dish for 119? Many times you can get two dishes to work where one won't.

chaddux said:
Without a picture and knowing the height of said tree, it's hard to say but no harm in having a second opinion.

It should also be noted that there are quite a few nightmare stories about VMC. Be warned

I was going to try to get an image, but it was too dark by the time I thought of it. I'll try to get you all one tommorow.

I started worrying about VMC after a day or two, I may see if since the tech said there was no line of sight I can somehow wiggle out of the deal and go with either a local, or directly through Dish. I got pulled in with that 180 package for 31.99. I couldn't seem to find it on the Dish site anymore. Oh well, we'll see.

mudder1310 said:
I've done some intalls in Ark (Rogers, Bentonville, Fayettville) and elevation there is about 48*, that's pretty steep and unless you have some super tall trees you should be able to come up with something. Did he consider a dish for 110/105 and a second dish for 119? Many times you can get two dishes to work where one won't.

He simply stated that because of this one branch that is sticking out near the area it'd need to be aimed at that the install wasn't really worth it. The branch really is not that large, or dense for that matter. He only stayed in one area of the roof and house for the most part. I'll call Dish in a few here and see what they say in reference to it.

wateringthebush said:
He simply stated that because of this one branch that is sticking out near the area it'd need to be aimed at that the install wasn't really worth it. The branch really is not that large, or dense for that matter. He only stayed in one area of the roof and house for the most part. I'll call Dish in a few here and see what they say in reference to it.

I'll be interested in seeing the picture because I can't imagine that one single branch completely blocks the signal from anywhere on your property.

wateringthebush said:

Well YES you do have the option of a 2nd opinion. Next question, was it a DNS tech, RSP tech, or contracted retailer. either way it goes DNS standards is that every customer has the right for a 2nd opinion. the RSP i work requires an office manager to verify the NO LINE OF SITE with in 24 hours or a date set by the customer. here's are the dish settings for your zip code : 72204
Dish 500 - Azimuth - 212, Elevation 43 and Skew 118
Dish 300 SAT119 - Azimuth - 218, Elevation 41 and Skew 0
Dish 300 SAT110 - Azimuth - 206, Elevation 45 and Skew 0
Dish 300 SAT61.5 - Azimuth - 131, Elevation 38 and Skew 0
SD 105 - Azimuth - 198, Elevation 47 and Skew 107

your tech should have looked every where for the best location and should have explained the option of the pole mount and/or 2 dish solution. after you were pleased that the system was actually unable to install the tech should have taken pictures of the site showing blockage and had you sign a service aggreement stating the system could not be installed b/c of the blockage. then explained to you that you do have the option of a 2nd 2nd opinion.

phaddon said:
Well YES you do have the option of a 2nd opinion. Next question, was it a DNS tech, RSP tech, or contracted retailer. either way it goes DNS standards is that every customer has the right for a 2nd opinion. the RSP i work requires an office manager to verify the NO LINE OF SITE with in 24 hours or a date set by the customer.

your tech should have looked every where for the best location and should have explained the option of the pole mount and/or 2 dish solution. after you were pleased that the system was actually unable to install the tech should have taken pictures of the site showing blockage and had you sign a service aggreement stating the system could not be installed b/c of the blockage. then explained to you that you do have the option of a 2nd 2nd opinion.

I believe we've established all of that already.

I would cancel your deal with VMC and call a local guy. The AT180 for the AT60 price, for 3 months, is available thru the local guy also, just requires a one year commitment. And besides, if you look into the VMC deal on thier website, be sure that you read all the fine print that they have with those "great deals"

phaddon said:
here's are the dish settings for your zip code : 72204
Dish 500 - Azimuth - 212, Elevation 43 and Skew 118
Dish 300 SAT119 - Azimuth - 218, Elevation 41 and Skew 0
Dish 300 SAT110 - Azimuth - 206, Elevation 45 and Skew 0
Dish 300 SAT61.5 - Azimuth - 131, Elevation 38 and Skew 0
SD 105 - Azimuth - 198, Elevation 47 and Skew 107

I wish I had angles like that to work with.

I'd get a second opinion... you can pole mount the dish about 100-150 feet or so away from the house.

Sounds like the installer was trying to blow off the job.

bcshields said:
I wish I had angles like that to work with.

I'd get a second opinion... you can pole mount the dish about 100-150 feet or so away from the house.

Sounds like the installer was trying to blow off the job.

I don't know how payments work there but my installer (employed by a DISH retailer) told me that he gets paid $50 for each DISH500 installation plus $25 per extra receiver installed and 20% of any extra work such as a wall fish. If the installation was scratched for ANY reason, it becomes a service call and he gets $25 regardless of how long he's there. In other words, $75-100 for 1-2 hours worth of work installing it or $25 for 5-10 minutes worth of "can't get a signal" and then moving on to another job. If installers are paid similarly there, it could be a blowoff.

Keep trying. I had a friend that I refered to Dish. It took him 4 times to get the right install tech. Now he is up and running with a VERY strong signal. I have another friend that I refered and it took him 2 attempts to get the right tech. So, from what I can tell nowadays, you just need to get the right tech for the job. In your situation, I would contact the install tech's supervisor.

Now with pictures!

Alright, here are some pictures showing the only area he surveyed from, and the offending branch.

Obviously there are branches on the right side there that could cause a problem from the area he looked. However, those could be easily trimmed.

On my little experimental survey it apears that if we knocked out just a few branches all would be set to go. It appears a pole mounted dish would work just fine. Those images for the clinometer were taken with me sitting on a chair, and the clinometer about 4 feet off the ground.

Oops, tried to insert images but I'm too new to put URLs in posts, heres the link (replace [dot] with a period, and remove spaces):

planet1041 [dot] com/imgis/satyard/sats.htm

wobbie said:
I would cancel your deal with VMC and call a local guy. The AT180 for the AT60 price, for 3 months, is available thru the local guy also, just requires a one year commitment. And besides, if you look into the VMC deal on thier website, be sure that you read all the fine print that they have with those "great deals"

I've emailed them to make sure my cancellation goes through before the 10-day certificate refund period, and am keeping print outs of all correspondence with them. I read up some on ripoffreport about the complaints. Looks like they're a pain to deal with. I'll be going to check out local retailers today, and maybe order from Dish directly later in the week.

Hmm... You're close.

nothing a 2 dish solution wouldn't handle. One dish for 119, about 10 feet away, a second dish for 110, tie the two DPDuals together with a DP21 or two.

Depends if you want two dishes pole mounted in your yard... or one mounted on the roof/one on a pole.

This reminds me of how someone comes to me after going to someone else that told them they could not get a signal, I go to their house, and am able to get it in although sometimes it requires cutting the right limbs or trees to get that signal in while in other cases it requires moving the dish to another location farther away making the install more expensive but still do-able.

I gotta say it's hard to tell from pictures, but I see alot of trees. Even your pictrues thru the tube show trees.

As an installer for a Dish RSP, I am required to reach a signal level of atleast 100 on 119. If I can't get that then I can't install the dish. From your pictures it looks like you may not have line of site, again it's hard to tell from pictures. The installer may be saying it's to close and not worth the charge backs if you have problems. If you have problems the installer has to keep coming back out to fix the problems for nothing. If you cancel because you have signal problems he gets charged back that install fee. Then he wasted all his time for nothing.

I personally don't get paid anything for no line of site. So if I go to a house I try my hardest to get it in. Some times you just don't have a LOS and there is not much you can do.

I agree a second dish option would probably work, but you outlook is pretty tight. Being a subcontractor I have a different contract than the employee's for the company I work for. I have to warranty for 180 days and I have taken many risks in the past only to have it come back and bite me in the rear. If your pictures are indeed accurate (directional) and there is no chance for a pole mount I would probably not install it.

On the other hand there are a lot of lazy installers and a second opinion from a local retailer/installer would be a good idea. I have a very good record for turning NLOS to LOS. Elevation of 43 degrees!!! Man I would take that over our 22 degrees any day. I would ever only had a few NLOS. Good luck.

LM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)