DISH Introduces Flex Pack

Lets hope it stays that way , in order to encourage customers to add or change their add on packs as needed. Otherwise the new system will fail due to a bureaucratic built in fail.
Yep, I hope it stays that way also. I'm more likely to add a package for a month or less if something interesting or special comes along than I am to up the whole sub level to pick it up.

For instance, this month if they had a special 'olympics' pack I'd pick it up. But I'm not willing to pay $25 additional for a month to move up to get all those channels involved to watch the 2 sports I'm interested in. Actually I'm a little surprised there wasn't a "special" Olympics pack in the mix.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Flex Pack and the Add On Packs are excluded from the Programming Change Fee currently.
So your telling me it's harder and more inconvenient for Dish that requires a $5 downgrade fee on every other package with Dish network.
But yet this Flex can avoid this fee?

I want some one to try and downgrade on line and show me there will be no fee implemented.
It can be done without actually submitting the material.

I think it's BS that a $175 a month customer has to be subjected to a downgrade fee, but a $35 a month customer is excluded.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Jim S.
I did just that. No downgrade fee was shown. I didn't commit because I didn't want to change anything.

What funny, Is if I downgrade to the Flex pack, I get charged a $5 fee, Because my TOP 250 was only added back 28 days ago.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

What funny, Is if I downgrade to the Flex pack, I get charged a $5 fee, Because my TOP 250 was only added back 28 days ago.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Did you try, or are you just assuming that they would do that? Possibly because they are kind of pushing the Flex Pack idea, they wouldn't do that. But you do bring up an interesting point.

BTW, saw a TV ad about the Flex Pack. Good ad.

Reactions: Troch77
Did you try, or are you just assuming that they would do that? Possibly because they are kind of pushing the Flex Pack idea, they wouldn't do that. But you do bring up an interesting point.

BTW, saw a TV ad about the Flex Pack. Good ad.

The Hopper ad is quite good now they have on line.
But I've yet to see the commercial.

Here is my Downgrade charges.
af0be8ea8202e544a15afdae5439396f.jpg

551ad2ea93739d1dc638b8480b9209a5.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Thanks. So it wouldn't be a good idea to make that change probably. It would depend to at least some extent, how much it would save and if that savings was worth losing some channels you currently watch.

BTW, the ad says something like "you don't watch it, you don't pay for it". Bit of a stretch but not as much of a stretch as many ads are! :)

So your telling me it's harder and more inconvenient for Dish that requires a $5 downgrade fee on every other package with Dish network.
But yet this Flex can avoid this fee?

I want some one to try and downgrade on line and show me there will be no fee implemented.
It can be done without actually submitting the material.

I think it's BS that a $175 a month customer has to be subjected to a downgrade fee, but a $35 a month customer is excluded.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
I posted this in another thread and I will say again that the Flex pack system is part of the new skinny bundle that was created to attract cord cutters who might still want a dvr and not interested in only live tv options with SLING TV. It is necessary for subs to be able to add or delete packs as needed , or there will be no perk to the system. If they charge fees each time you change your packs , then they are actually hurting themselves because it would cause more churn. This skinny bundle is like what other pay tv companies have already implemented in order to keep subs. I have never understood why DISH charges for changes made online anyway ,because the computerized online system makes the changes and not an actual person. But if you actually get charged a fee to downgrade or make changes then you can always call DISH and make them take it back off.

Reactions: pattykay
Flex Pack and the Add On Packs are excluded from the Programming Change Fee currently.
They were not before the channel packages were "official" though (and I realize everything was still a work in progress). I tried to remove locals (to see if I'd lose guide data for OTA stations) and it warned me that I was going to be charged the fee.

Just a thought or a note for Dish to consider: If a user removes channels, packages, etc (I'm talking outside of the Flex stuff) and does it online, as in, with no "work" from a Dish employee, don't charge the fee. If they call in or do it by chat, charge the fee.

Is it the thought that you should be able to add a pack for a day to watch a show, drop it after the show is over, do the same next week? Then do that with a another pack, or the same pack on another day in that week? I heavily bet that will incur a $5 charge each time at some point if it doesn't now if DISH pays for a month. I'm not sure DISH is charged for the channel that way. If they can only charge the customer for the package for one day does that cover them being charged by every channel in the package for a month? If the agreement is DISH is charged only for how long the customer is subscribed to the package then I guess it should work.

I posted this in another thread and I will say again that the Flex pack system is part of the new skinny bundle that was created to attract cord cutters who might still want a dvr and not interested in only live tv options with SLING TV. It is necessary for subs to be able to add or delete packs as needed , or there will be no perk to the system. If they charge fees each time you change your packs , then they are actually hurting themselves because it would cause more churn. This skinny bundle is like what other pay tv companies have already implemented in order to keep subs. I have never understood why DISH charges for changes made online anyway ,because the computerized online system makes the changes and not an actual person. But if you actually get charged a fee to downgrade or make changes then you can always call DISH and make them take it back off.

I am not aware of any others offering "skinny" bundles with the list of cable channels DISH has and minus all the others like locals, sports, news, and thus not at that price point for those channels. I was under the impression no one else has that list of channels at that cost. (Not talking about online only)

I just went through the steps of removing my locals and made it all the way to the final "submit" step and it never popped up the downgrade charge warning. It has in the past and earlier in the steps.

** Just removed the locals and within ~30 seconds, they were gone (I had one of them on at the time) and got a "Programming not authorized" pop-up. Another 30 seconds or so later and the satellite-delivered locals disappeared from the guide. A few minutes later, the OTA stations still have the same guide data as before.... Going to reboot the receiver and see if they go away then.

Reactions: osu1991 and Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)