DISH introduces Hopper Transfers to Android Platform

Finally!! Been holding off on upgrading my tablet due to this, wasn't sure what route I was going to go. Looks like I'll be sticking with Android tablets for now.

FYI. I prepared a 1 hour program. The transfer app said it was something around 940 MB - just under 1 GB. After it was prepared I transferred it to my iPad (Air). It took 2-3 minutes for the transfer. It can really depend on your network.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes, but the majority of the time will usually be in the preparation, unless you have a really slow network. You didn't say how long the preparation took.

Yes, but the majority of the time will usually be in the preparation, unless you have a really slow network. You didn't say how long the preparation took.

I "prepared" Hostages. An hour long program (I actually end up recording 1 hour and 3 minutes). The Transfer app said it was 921.6 MB. It took just over 22 minutes for the preparation.

So, it appears, if we round a bit that the ratio is 1/2; hence, a 1 hour long program will take around 30 minutes to prepare and transfer, or a 2 hour program would take 1 hour to prepare and transfer.

Just to clarify, what is the advantage of transferring a program? Is it for times when you can't access the dishanywhere.com website?
Pretty much. Offline viewing, in a car, plane, etc. Anywhere there is no connectivity, poor connectivity, or bandwidth concerns.

Just to clarify, what is the advantage of transferring a program? Is it for times when you can't access the dishanywhere.com website?

And for the by far largest majority of mobile users that do not have unlimited data service. (Either actual data or it gets slowed down)

Not everyone has the greatest upload speeds on their home internet either; hence, even if you do Sling and do not have to worry about your cellular data limits, the quality and/or stuttering will be bad. Being able to transfer ensures high quality.

It actually is not as bad as I thought it would be. Basically 1 GB / Hour or programming. Even a 16GB device can get quite a bit of programming on it.

A few questions about how "Sling Transfers" works:

1) When you "prepare" a TV show/movie for mobile, I assume that it (obviously) takes up more space on the Hopper's hard drive. But, do they quarantine these transcodes so that they do not affect the partition that is reserved for all of my DVR recordings? Or does it, in fact, reduce the amount of shows I can record on the DVR?

2) Any reason why you can only transfer a show/movie once to your iPad? I only have a 16 GB iPad, so if I'm going on a trip, I'll wipe the iPad, and only install "Sling Transfers," along with a couple other apps. Sometimes I don't happen to watch one or more of the movies/TV shows on the iPad, and I then restore my iPad from my backup. Then, when I go on my next trip, I'm not able to transfer those movies/shows that I had transferred the first time.

Any input on these? Thanks!!

Checked on upgrading my two hoppers, did not get the price but requires a new two year contract.

I beleive it is standard for Dish to require a new 24 commit when they upgrade your equipment at your request at a discount. I along with many other members of this forum have been upgraded from original to HWS for free. Not sure if that deal is still going or if everyone qualifies, but it does require a new 24 mo commit. If you already have a committment it just jumps back to 24 and starts counting down again. I would check with a DIRT rep.

The software update for the DISH Anywhere app for Android has not been released yet.

For those impatiently waiting ... like myself ... ;)

When the new Anywhere app is released ... I would NOT delete your existing "Transfer" app quite so fast.

Currently you are only allowed to transfer a recording ONCE.

If you have transferred your recordings via the old (or current) "Transfer" app ... you may not be able to re-transfer those recordings to the new (forthcoming) "Anywhere" app.

You may need to keep both versions around for a while. Now, it could be that the new Anywhere install may do some sort of magic to make it all work ... but until such magic is confirmed ... I would hang on to the Transfer app for a bit.

Hope this makes sense.

Any word on support for Kindle Fire HDX's?

This is a question that interests me as well. Watching TV on the iPhone is a little tiresome as the screen is just a bit small. And not everyone has an iPad. The Kindle Fire Tablet screen size is bigger than a phone and quite a bit less expensive than an iPad. Hope they can support the Dish Anywhere app on Kindles.

Thanks

This is a question that interests me as well. Watching TV on the iPhone is a little tiresome as the screen is just a bit small. And not everyone has an iPad. The Kindle Fire Tablet screen size is bigger than a phone and quite a bit less expensive than an iPad. Hope they can support the Dish Anywhere app on Kindles.

Thanks

I currently sling to my Kindle Fire HD (not HDX) from my Hopper with Sling (HWS) without problems. Had to sideload the Dish app to my Kindle but that is fairly easy. I use to have a 722 receiver and sling adapter and it worked with the Kindle Fire HD as well.

Last I read was that Amazon is at ~ 50% of offline content from their prime video library only on their new Kindle Fires (2013). So with that option plus the offline content from Dish it should cover plenty of offline content.

I currently sling to my Kindle Fire HD (not HDX) from my Hopper with Sling (HWS) without problems. Had to sideload the Dish app to my Kindle but that is fairly easy. I use to have a 722 receiver and sling adapter and it worked with the Kindle Fire HD as well.

That is a good sign as it means that even if there isn't an "official app" you can still make it work by sideloading. I guess it's time to make my HWS upgrade order (I have the Hopper with adapter)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts