DISH is back with (west) distant networks

The CONUS LA beams and the LA spotbeams are separate and your receiver can only receive the CONUS beams if authorized. So No.

Same with NY. There is a CONUS NY set of beams and spotbeams for NY.

Since I am registered as an RV account, I tried switching LA from outside the spotbeam and it did not work.

The CONUS LA beams and the LA spotbeams are separate and your receiver can only receive the CONUS beams if authorized. So No.

Since I am registered as an RV account, I tried switching LA from outside the spotbeam and it did not work.

Who or what are the NY CONUS feeds for? I thought it had been stated here previously that you could "move" to a CONUS market and receive those feeds in SD? This was something that Iceburg was an expert on. What ever happened to that guy?

Reactions: pattykay
I had no problem getting the Jacksonville, FL locals that are CONUS beamed on 77 while in upstate NY, but using a Jacksonville DMA serice address. I did that for a few days to monitor storm reports from that area last year. The NYC locals are CONUS beamed on 119, and will also work with an NYC DMA service address. I tested that in VA a couple of years ago, and I haven't seen anything that would change it.

I had no problem getting the Jacksonville, FL locals that are CONUS beamed on 77 while in upstate NY, but using a Jacksonville DMA serice address. I did that for a few days to monitor storm reports from that area last year. The NYC locals are CONUS beamed on 119, and will also work with an NYC DMA service address. I tested that in VA a couple of years ago, and I haven't seen anything that would change it.

So in other words, we should be able to get the LA locals, at the very least in SD? Unfortunately I can't even test it because I have an Eastern Arc dish with my H3.

Reactions: pattykay

This might sound crazy, but are you sure the person on the other end actually switched your channels? If they did and this didn't work then my guess is they have the new LA HD DNS channels set up as a separate "tier" instead of as local channels. I'd be curious to know if these channels showed up in the single digit #'s, or not for those who get them. I have DNS with DirecTV and they only show up in the 300's. DirecTV lets you have your local channels and DNS service though, so you still get both.

I do have a Pathway X2 and a VIP 211 sitting around with a Welcome Pack account on it my wife's family uses a few times a year camping. I might pull it out of the garage and set it up to give this a whirl. I wonder if Dish is actually going to verify these registrations with the DMV in the states?

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I remember his Avatar pic. It scared me! Maybe it is time for a truce. He was valuable to SatGus.

Not his pic. Wrestler. Wrassler?

Truce? Err- no. Not the first trip to the woodshed, and WAY over the top. Examining his history, and certain behaviors, might lead one to think "there's more to the story."

Let that sleeping dog lie.

Reactions: charlesrshell
When All American Direct was available, the Locals were not packaged in the subscription packages and AAD required the RV registration because that is the Federal law. So much for that conspiracy.

All American Direct got into the market when Dish was banned because Dish didn't do the due diligence and verify that the subscribers with DNS were legal. There were many Dish users who had DNS before 1997 and were grandfathered. But there were numerous people who got DNS and weren't legal and Dish did a terrible job of checking. Dish wasn't convicted of supply DNS to the wrong people, they were convicted of not running the check.

When Dish delivered Locals into all the DMA, the FCC allowed Dish to go back into the DNS marketplace and that contributed to the demise of AAD.

Dish dropped DNS to relocate the resources that supported DNS to solving the "movers" problem as the Broadcasters were on Dish's case. "Movers" think they are cute but they put a load on Dish because of Broadcaster's pressure.

The Locals pricing was $5.00 and then nothing when the packages were increased to cover the cost. A wash. Then there was a $10.00 price attached to the Locals cost but the packages price, with Locals, stayed the same, a wash when the Flex packages came along. The Flex Packages came without Locals and prices accordingly.

If Locals hadn't been separated for the Flex packages, Dish would have had to do it for DNS.

You can gripe about the price going from $5.00 to $10.00 over several years but then again, look at all the battles Dish has to fight with money grubbing local broadcasters.

And I see a lot of gripping about the EPG related to OTA form people who choose not to have Locals. I think there should be a fee for the EPG.

You seem to be giving me a history of what happened, that I am extremely familiar with because of my interest in it and may remember better than you are doing.

You are wrong on getting AAD. No RV registration was necessarily required people could get it even at home. I won't give you a history lesson but it required you to be in a "White Area" for each network. Give them a zip code of where you said you lived and how ever many Networks could not be received by FCC standards you could get - both East Coast and West Coast. The legal reason you could get them at home.... because AAD was not the source where you were getting your locals and by law could offer DNS to anyone in a "White Area."And as at anytime an RV'r of course could get them. There's even more to it but not trying to cover everything.

You are missing my point of why now they added DNS. Of course DNS would have to be separate no matter how DISH charged for locals. But now not being forced to get locals in their packages RV's can get DNS instead of locals if they want and NOT PAY $10 MORE and instead pay the same as if they got locals.

I have seen zero evidence to support your claim DISH dropped DNS this last time because of broadcaster's pressure about people moving. RV's and everyone else can call and get them changed to their new Zip Code. You don't think needing to pay an additional $10 for Distants for RV's who may not have wanted the locals but had to pay for them was a deterrent? While now they can drop the locals and pay that same $10 for Distant? It may not be the only reason but it's too much of a coincidence you can drop locals and at the same time DNS returns.

The Federal Regulations that allow the DNS exemptions are clear that you can have Locals or DNS but not both from the same supplier. The main requirement for DNS is that you are in a "not served" area. Hard to say that is you have Locals.

AAD required vehicle registration if that was your reason for getting DNS.

Yes there were white zone exemptions until Dish provided locals into all DMAs.

My source of relocating the RV team to "movers" was from a high level source inside Dish that I had cultivated along the way. He is no longer there.

I don't doubt your word on that at all. The end result just doesn't seem any different now than before about calling to change your location.

I gripe and will continue to gripe about EPG data for OTA. Dish sells and markets OTA products and accessories to integrate with their equipment, so they can and should provide EPG data to go along with those products. If they didn't intend for people to use those products, then they wouldn't need to provide EPG data.
Here here!,:bigok:bigok:bigok

I don't doubt your word on that at all. The end result just doesn't seem any different now than before about calling to change your location.
So far among many RV Dish users is that the current method of obtaining Locals by changing Service Address is preferred over going back to DNS. DNS used to provide time shift from NY to LA to record shows in the same Prime Time slot. And that was limited to SD except for a very short period with AAD.

Now, with PTAT, getting HD channels is preferred to the point that I will put up a ground tripod when I am in EA areas.

It is amusing to me that after all the battles I had with Dish management when DNS went away, arguing points of the SHVA, SHVIA, SHVERA, and STELA and why Dish HAD to provide DNS. Not I don't care.

How many RV's and truckers have a Hopper to use PTAT VS a VIP receiver? The only reason I posted was the synergy of no longer being tied to paying for locals and the start of DNS. Since DISH just started the DNS service again it may too early to see how many prefer that to locals, or how many will get both or will decide based on where they are.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
The Federal Regulations that allow the DNS exemptions are clear that you can have Locals or DNS but not both from the same supplier. The main requirement for DNS is that you are in a "not served" area. Hard to say that is you have Locals.

That isn't entirely accurate anymore. Now DirecTV (and presumably Dish too?) allow you to have both your local channels and DNS if you submit an RV Waiver with the appropriate documentation. The only major change in the law during recent revisions has been the provision that you aren't allowed to watch HD programming from an earlier time zone. That is why DirecTV now only lets those in the Eastern/Central time zones get the NYC channels and those in the Mountain/West get the LA channels. It is based on your RV's registration address. Technically they should allow those in the Eastern/Central time zones to choose whether they want East or West, or let those in the East have both, but they don't for whatever reason. Obviously Dish took a different route and decided to offer it, but let everybody get the West Coast feeds so they don't have to worry about checking what state they are registered in.

Reactions: Tampa8