Dish is down with the FCC?

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
I bought a 3900 somewhere and it didnt work, so like everything else i took it apart. There is a pirate ship next to the cardslot that has FCC on the sail. What is this all about? Pic soon.

1z4yis0.jpg

its Stamped on the board. in the same color as other text so it was made when the board was

I've seen some funny stuff on circuit boards before, notably some Maxtor hard drive logic boards... but this one is hilarious on many levels.

so what does it mean. I also looked near the ports on this baord and saw that near the audio audio out jacks that there is a blank for Dolby digital out, was dish planning on adding this?

For what it's worth:

DP301-010 has a picture of a bulldog on the right side of the board, and the same "PAW" on the left.

DP301.013 and DP311 also have unused SPDIF/AC3/OPTICAL, and Aux Jack solder points on board as well. DP301.010 has both of these plus a "UHF UPGRADE."

No pretty pictures on the DP301.013 or DP311 boards though.

Yep... seen those on the board before.

I remember seeing a story talking about these on the boards along with a special message that was embedded in the actual smart cards too.

but what does the ship mean?

It's an inside joke from E* themselves. They are a 'eye-patch' company right from the start. That includes the "hidden message" in plain text in their cards that somebody else already mentioned. I'm not going to go into any more details, as that isn't allowed on this board.

Last edited:
I dont remember its been a while since I read the story. Google around...

I know lots of engineers have hidden stuff in electronics.

Wouldn't that "hidden messages" directed to a person who did sell out some dignity of E* to DTV [RCA's nipper] ?

Hard to tell, as "Nipper" (the DOG listening to a Victrola) is of course the old RCA logo, as you say. The fact that they say he's a "butt-licker" means nothing as ALL dogs are butt-lickers! hehe.

The "other story" about that name Nipper, is just that, a story, and I've never seen it verified. It also doesn't agree with that fact, as that "hidden message" has been in there from the very first one. At least, from what I hear it has.

By the way, I thought we weren't going to go that far down that road? This is the last thing I'll say on it, as anything else gets into dangerous territory.

I know lots of engineers have hidden stuff in electronics.

We were doing easter eggs on HP products long before DVDs were around. A well known example is that if you type XYZZY into the command line of any HP BASIC computer, it will respond with "I see no cave here". We always hid the designer names somewhere in the code, and often had a secret way of getting them to display. We put small trace or paint overlays with cute graphics on many circuit boards. We did the same, usually with more intricate designs on IC masks.

In addition to the obvious ego thing of signing your design, it also provided a pretty good means of proving piracy as the people who would copy boards and chips generally didn't remove the easter eggs from the masks. When we got to court it was pretty tough for the defendent to explain why his independent design had our fire breathing dragon in the same spot.

Well, you probably never had a dog, so I'll tell you one little secret :) - they do BALL-licking and BUTT-sniffing. :D
Not what you think: "as ALL dogs are butt-lickers".
Pretty thick hint for that person who did inappropriate things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)