DISH is having a banner week.

I agree, but it should be interesting to see if E* posts a third straight quarter where they lost subscribers. With the loss of their resale agree with A&T, Verizon adding more than 100K FiOS TV subscribers per month during 4th quarter and AT&T adding more than 60K U-Verse subscribers per month, I get the feeling Dish Network will post losing more than 70K customers during the 4th quarter. While the economy is terrible shape, DirecTV appears to be moving forward while Dish Network is stuck in reverse. I cannot see how their confusing pricing and packaging can possibly put them back on the track.

Of course confusing pricing, removing channels do not help, but notice all the reasons you mentioned, confusing pricing and packaging are not a part of them.

D* in the last three quarters added a net 2.5% gain in sub count, not bad but still not nearly as 10% if we go by our own assumption.

All I am saying is while it is fine to complain, but we need to keep in mind we are not as important as we like to think for ourselves:)

I think Dish is purposely confusing it's customers with all this ridiculous programming complexity. I'm fed up with this crazy sh*t.

Cable lies (they have lied to me on a breadth and scale far beyond Dish)--wait, they all lie. The problem is that Charlie has chosen to inform his customers about coming products (and folks on this board get pissed if Dish doesn't tell anything). The risk is that people are disappointed when Dish misses the train.

The alternative is to do what all the others do and not say a word until the product or service is being rolled-out to customers (not counting the industry news sites that provide the most basic info with not hard quarter or dates given for its roll-out.) This way, no one is disappointed except the same people who cry when Dish won't comment on possible coming changes or equipment.

People, just stop perusing the boards such as this one and be a clueless sub like the vast majority out there who are extrememly HAPPY with Dish because they no nothing of what is supposed to be coming down the road, therefore, no disappointment, just pleased with the services they are receiving today. Otherwise, keep this view: you are being let inside for a glimpse of a lot of things that may come down the line, but, as with any business, it could all get shelved, as well, and if we are that ticked about it, stop giving Dish your business as that is the only thing any business understands. But to be fair, there have been a great many things that Dish has delivered on, including the external HDD that blows everyone else away. Like any business, they don't always deliver.

People, just stop perusing the boards such as this one and be a clueless sub like the vast majority out there who are extremely HAPPY with Dish because they no nothing of what is supposed to be coming down the road, therefore, no disappointment, just pleased with the services they are receiving today...
This is not what this thread is about.
Subs aren't signing with D* and not E* because they all read these type forums.
If someone wants NICK-HD, SPIKE-HD, MTV-HD, etc; if they want to program their DVR from work and other features they show on their commercials they don't need inside info to find out who offers what.

I am not in my car behind Charlie beeping the horn because the light just turned green, it has been green for a very long time. I don't need inside information to know he should be going. Eventually I will pull around and leave him behind but again I am not upset because I have inside info on where he's going. I just know he should be going somewhere.

It doesn't matter whether you track transponder changes in spreadsheets, or you think angels deliver the magic pictures from heaven. DISH treats everyone equally poorly. Incompetence is universal. THAT'S why I'm angry with them. Most of the issues didn't even affect me. (Hell, I WISH I wasn't getting Fox News HD. )

AMEN to that! I have been a DN customer over 12 years. My latest dealings with them have been simply horrid. They are rude, incompetent people. I have tried for 3 weeks now to get a new dish installed to upgrade my package. Twice the guys have come out here without the proper dish. Work orders are a total mess. And now my bill is so messed up I can't figure out what I have or what I will be charged. And I can't call them to discuss it until my work order is closed. I use to be angry with them. Now I just laugh. And don't expect anything to go right.

I have been a Dish customer for almost 9 years, and have rarely had a bad experience. They did mess up my bill for a few months when I switched over to DVR Advantage (they kept charging me the DVR fee) but it eventually got straightened out. They are far better than the cable operator in my city has been (TCI, then Adelphia, now Time Warner).

I did have a bit of a problem when they first turned on Fox News HD and Fox Business HD; one of my two 622s did not get the update giving me the channels. I called tech support and got a prompt fix. It turns out it happened because I had just swapped out the smart card a couple of weeks ago and it had not yet passed the 21 day point where it receives an update. The tech reauthorized my box and everything was fine. I told him that I had already tried doing a reset and a check switch with no luck, and he told me that I was already way ahead of most callers he gets. He asked if I was a member of (the other forum) and I said no, I am a SatelliteGuy. He responded knowingly, then told me that one of the things they are planning on doing with Ciel-II, besides adding more channels, is to reduce compression on all of the HD channels. I told him that, if given the choice between watching a movie on a regular DVD or Dish HD, right now I would chose the DVD. He agreed and said he does the same.

I did have a bit of a problem when they first turned on Fox News HD and Fox Business HD; one of my two 622s did not get the update giving me the channels. I called tech support and got a prompt fix. It turns out it happened because I had just swapped out the smart card a couple of weeks ago and it had not yet passed the 21 day point where it receives an update.
Good to know this. Could be why I am not getting Fox News in HD. I just swapped my smart card also. They told me I was not getting Fox News in HD because I had an open work order. I am not calling them at all until this work is completed. Hopefully it will be done tomorrow.

After looking at the current Dish website, it looks like AAP plus HD subs get one less HD channel than those with Classic Gold + HD: DISH Classic Packages

Look closely - WGN America HD is not available to AAP subs according to their web site.

As I said...The website doesn't mean jack.

AAP is simply a bundling of the Classic packages with the Premiums. The bundling is done internally. The only oddball is that they also throw NBA-TV into that package, (but I'm betting you don't get it in HD, due to the Platinum mess.) There's no way a channel would only be included in the "middle" tiers. They negotiate for "__________ package and higher."

The Turbo packages are a completely different set of packages, so each channel needs to be negotiated separately. Which is how this Fox debacle happened. (I know Scott still says it's a glitch, but it's pretty clear the glitch is contract related, not technical.)

Speaking of banners... can anyone make sense of this graphic on their website?

defaultBanner.jpg

"This is Jim, from when we were out hiking in Rocky Mtn. National Park. He thought it would be fun to stack some rocks we found by the creek." - Charlie

"Hey, how'd that picture get on our website?"

Now to add insult to injury, this morning I woke up to find that Fox News SD had no audio whatsoever. Other channels were fine, but Fox News just wasn't working. It is ironic though, because I only changed that channel because there was a commercial on sportscenter and I wanted to see what was on. I never watched the channel before, because obviously as a Turbo subscriber, I never had it. Anyways, it was just very annoying.

Now to add insult to injury, this morning I woke up to find that Fox News SD had no audio whatsoever. Other channels were fine, but Fox News just wasn't working. It is ironic though, because I only changed that channel because there was a commercial on sportscenter and I wanted to see what was on. I never watched the channel before, because obviously as a Turbo subscriber, I never had it. Anyways, it was just very annoying.
I think that may just be a bug. I know it used to happen on my system from time to time. I would be able to fix it by changing the channel on that tuner to one that had a different audio stream; DD if the channel that was having problems was Pro-Logic and vice-versa.
I actually haven't had that issue in a while so I apologize if this isn't relative to your situation.

LOL! Not I. Less is more? That's a real head-scratcher.

Oh, I get it!

Turbo Gold is on the left... 42 channels for $50

Classic Silver is on the right... 90+ channels plus music channels for $48.

See one gives you way more programming, but costs about the same. It all "balances" out. ;)

I think that may just be a bug. I know it used to happen on my system from time to time. I would be able to fix it by changing the channel on that tuner to one that had a different audio stream; DD if the channel that was having problems was Pro-Logic and vice-versa.
I actually haven't had that issue in a while so I apologize if this isn't relative to your situation.

I will check and see if it is resolved when I get home. Thanks!

I just did a Test Switch to see if the guide had been updated for Obama's little talk. Nope. So who knows what'll get recorded tonight. I would have thought it would have been updated by now. My Media Center PCs guide is up-to-date. Just more of the same from E*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts