DISH is having a banner week.

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
5,383
841
FN11od
Since that graphic doesn't include C&I, I have to assume that somebody reloaded the page from an old backup or something. Unless they're going to get rid of C&I when Smithsonian comes back.
 

M Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 15, 2005
1,946
1
Just went to the website and noticed the Smithsonian channel was listed again!? what is going on here :confused:
leftNav_phd_new.jpg

They never changed that particular graphic. I posted that in the Smithsonian thread.

The one they changed says "$10 a month" or something like that.

As I keep saying, the website doesn't mean jack.
 

Islandguy43

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 24, 2006
2,128
0
Grand Island, NY
Guys,

I want to lay down a rational opinion, don't be mad at Scott or anyone in this forum. You should be mad with the talking heads at Dish, they pass along this information to get people like us excited about their product. They hope we get so excited that we tell friends who will get excited and subscribe as well. Then they will disappoint everyone on a equal disappointment level.

The point is that Charlie and his cronies have done this for years, no need to take out your frustrations on people who work hard to give you something to talk about. I personally think the SatGuys staff does a great job at keeping us informed and you should probably think before you type your feelings. Especially when they involve banishment from a forum of all places. If you don't like Dish's service and lies, do what I did and leave. It's not that hard, tell them that you're not taking their s*#% anymore and you are leaving. That simple, no hard feelings, and enjoy your new service and leave Scott out of this.


Well said:up:up
 

jacmyoung

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 30, 2007
3,009
0
Sacramento, CA
Maybe a lesson can be learned from all this, that when people read forums like this one, understand a lot of the information you get is not official, therefore if it turns out not true, don't take it personal. The benefit of reading this forum is you get more inside info before anyone else, whether it turns out true or not.

If you get frustrated as a result, don't read here, go back to be like the rest 95% of the people who happily enjoy their TV viewing without knowing what is happening behind the scene at all, until such time they see a big ad on TV anunouncing something new.

You can live happily ever after if you curb your curiosity.
 

M Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 15, 2005
1,946
1
Maybe a lesson can be learned from all this, that when people read forums like this one, understand a lot of the information you get is not official, therefore if it turns out not true, don't take it personal. The benefit of reading this forum is you get more inside info before anyone else, whether it turns out true or not.

I don't see what this has to do with any of the things I posted. I guess I wouldn't have known about that New Years press release thing if I didn't read this board. But it WAS an official release.

And as far as waiting for Ciel-2...that was straight from Charlie's mouth. Admittedly, we probably read too much into it.

I don't think any of my complaints have anything to do with rumors. Just poor business practices. Increasing an already overpriced package by 25% without a real reason doesn't have anything to do with rumors. Failing to give new channels to the people you are making the highest profit off of doesn't have anything to do with rumors. Inability to communicate with your customers doesn't have anything to do with rumors. Removing channels, pocketing the savings, and STILL raising prices doesn't have anything to do with rumors.
 

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
3,439
1
Vermont
They may be misinformed, but that is Dish's fault. They aren't just repeating call center rumors. They have been repeating/copying and pasting the same exact statement to everyone, which is either a blatant lie to cover for their own incompetence, or a terrible truth to HD Only subs. That is inexcusable.
:up:up

Spreading misinformation is still spreading lies if the "misinformation" is deliberately "leaked". The CSR's culpability depends on if they're aware that somewhere higher up the ladder there's a history of this trickling down "misinformation" that somehow always works to Dish's advantage.
 

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
3,439
1
Vermont
Bottom line is, they've got too many dang options that all have special conflicts with other options, you'd have to have degrees in law, marketing, finance and alchemy just to understand them all....<snip>
Gee, I wonder why that is? Is it possible that all the confusion ultimately works to Dish's advantage?:eek:
 

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
3,439
1
Vermont
Hate to tell you but DirecTV promised 150 channels over 2 years ago and they are still not on yet. And Dish is not the only one to raise prices, DirecTV's are going up March 14th.
and that takes Dish off the hook how? Justifying one wrong with someone else's wrong doesn't resolve anything - it only perpetuates lack of responsibility.
 

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
3,439
1
Vermont
Well, I also have my right to be pissed for bad business practices. I don't go through my daily life making statements of things I have plans do do and then when I don't follow through going along my way with a smile on my face.

I'm just making my statement that they are not being up front and proper with their customers if another comapny has done or plans to do the same in the future does not make it right.
:up:up
 

Mo Fly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 4, 2008
155
15
The only question I have is, what is "disinformation"? Would that be the same as "misinformation"? ;)

-SNT

it's not misinformation or disinformation. the fact is, dish network is being misunderestimated and they will recoverate in time once their new strateegery kicks in.
 

jacmyoung

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 30, 2007
3,009
0
Sacramento, CA
I don't see what this has to do with any of the things I posted. I guess I wouldn't have known about that New Years press release thing if I didn't read this board. But it WAS an official release.

And as far as waiting for Ciel-2...that was straight from Charlie's mouth. Admittedly, we probably read too much into it.

I don't think any of my complaints have anything to do with rumors. Just poor business practices. Increasing an already overpriced package by 25% without a real reason doesn't have anything to do with rumors. Failing to give new channels to the people you are making the highest profit off of doesn't have anything to do with rumors. Inability to communicate with your customers doesn't have anything to do with rumors. Removing channels, pocketing the savings, and STILL raising prices doesn't have anything to do with rumors.

If you were like the 90% of the rest of the TV viewers, you would not have known who Charlie is, nor what that Ciel-2 is, and never noticed anything different, that was my point.

As such, a company is more likely to make their decisons based on how they impact the 90% of their subs, rather the other 10%.
 

dslate69

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2006
782
0
NC
If you were like the 90% of the rest of the TV viewers, you would not have known who Charlie is, nor what that Ciel-2 is, and never noticed anything different, that was my point.

As such, a company is more likely to make their decisons based on how they impact the 90% of their subs, rather the other 10%.
Agreed.
However the number isn't 90%, but a GREAT number of subs or potential subs have not been making the DISH choice. All that leave or decide to get programming don't necessarily go to Directv but according to their numbers they understand what the 90% really want. I don't think DISH does.
 

Quantum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 23, 2008
626
0
OR
it's not misinformation or disinformation. the fact is, dish network is being misunderestimated and they will recoverate in time once their new strateegery kicks in.
AAGH! {Takes the gun out of ear...}

I haven't seen this many Bushisms on The Internets for a year...
 

jacmyoung

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 30, 2007
3,009
0
Sacramento, CA
Agreed.
However the number isn't 90%, but a GREAT number of subs or potential subs have not been making the DISH choice. All that leave or decide to get programming don't necessarily go to Directv but according to their numbers they understand what the 90% really want. I don't think DISH does.

In the last three quarters E* lost a net of 0.1% of its total sub count, most of them due to economic hardship but even if we consider all of them were like some of the members here who were pushed away because they felt Charlie had betrayed them, that is far from 10%.
 

dslate69

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2006
782
0
NC
In the last three quarters E* lost a net of 0.1% of its total sub count, most of them due to economic hardship but even if we consider all of them were like some of the members here who were pushed away because they felt Charlie had betrayed them, that is far from 10%.
I am no expert on what the growth numbers should be but I do know there should be a growth and not a net loss. I am pretty sure Directv didn't have a net loss.
DISH was blaming the economy for their 90% drop in subscriber growth last year about this time. Maybe it was, but I don't think you will ever see Charlie say "The reason our numbers are so bad is because we aren't giving our customers what they want."
 

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
35,213
287
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
In the last three quarters E* lost a net of 0.1% of its total sub count, most of them due to economic hardship but even if we consider all of them were like some of the members here who were pushed away because they felt Charlie had betrayed them, that is far from 10%.
I agree, but it should be interesting to see if E* posts a third straight quarter where they lost subscribers. With the loss of their resale agree with A&T, Verizon adding more than 100K FiOS TV subscribers per month during 4th quarter and AT&T adding more than 60K U-Verse subscribers per month, I get the feeling Dish Network will post losing more than 70K customers during the 4th quarter. While the economy is terrible shape, DirecTV appears to be moving forward while Dish Network is stuck in reverse. I cannot see how their confusing pricing and packaging can possibly put them back on the track.
 

M Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 15, 2005
1,946
1
If you were like the 90% of the rest of the TV viewers, you would not have known who Charlie is, nor what that Ciel-2 is, and never noticed anything different, that was my point.

As such, a company is more likely to make their decisons based on how they impact the 90% of their subs, rather the other 10%.

AGAIN, knowing who Charlie is or what Ciel-2 is doesn't have anything to do with most of this.

Customers don't need to know who Charlie is to see that the TurboHD packages are insanely overpriced

Customers don't need to know what Ciel-2 is to see Fox News HD in red on their guide and wonder why they aren't getting it, even though they are paying $60 a month for basic HD.

In fact, in some cases, knowing less makes things worse. We know that Viacom channels are on the way, and even though we're being negative, we know there's probably more. But if you're a guy who doesn't know anything and sees his bill go up 25% and have no idea that you'll probably be getting more for your money in a month or two, you're even more steamed right now.

There's a guy who started a thread a few days ago...he had HD Absolute...called about Fox HD...was told to switch to Turbo Gold...called back because he lost the Platinum channels...had to add that (his bill has doubled at this point, for NO extra channels other than his RSN)...and he STILL doesn't have Fox News, because he's not willing to go up yet again.

Now, if he was one of us who keep up on all this junk, he wouldn't have fallen for it. But he was one of the 90%...and he's livid. I dismissed him at first for not reading the fine print, but this guy PERFECTLY explains exactly what is wrong with DISH right now.

It doesn't matter whether you track transponder changes in spreadsheets, or you think angels deliver the magic pictures from heaven. DISH treats everyone equally poorly. Incompetence is universal. THAT'S why I'm angry with them. Most of the issues didn't even affect me. (Hell, I WISH I wasn't getting Fox News HD. )
 
Top