Dish is "Oh so sensitive"

Fuelrod said:
The place to buy Dish (or any other) satellite equipment is E-bay. Leasing is for people who are VERY slow learners. It's YOUR money. Spend it wisely.
Be very careful on eBay. Only buy from equipment dealers that are known to be reputable.

As for buy vs. lease, that's a personal decision. For some people, leasing is absolutely the correct decision. For others, buy.

Another thing to note that hasn't been talked about and that is the fact that Dish has all leased equipment insured so they are not only going to recover the cost through their insurance but also stick it to the customer and end up profiting from this disaster! And if you think Dish does NOT have insurance coverage for loss of leased equipment then you have no clue as to the inner workings of corporations!

fslove said:
Another thing to note that hasn't been talked about and that is the fact that Dish has all leased equipment insured so they are not only going to recover the cost through their insurance but also stick it to the customer and end up profiting from this disaster! And if you think Dish does NOT have insurance coverage for loss of leased equipment then you have no clue as to the inner workings of corporations!
You cannot say you KNOW E* has the equipment insured. Is it likely, yes. However, it's also likely that it's secondary insurance. That is, in order to collect on the insurance, an effort must be made to collect from the subscriber. Said subscriber needs to make an attempt to collect from THEIR insurance company.

Bottom line is that once all the dust settles, it should all work out. The statement that E* issued could simply be to cover their a$$ in order to eventually collect on their own insurance. It's unfortunate that there's going to be a lot of bad press in the meantime. Only time will tell if that press is deserved or not.

Or maybe they do not have insurance at all figuring that it would cost more than what it is worth to have. If it was cheaper for them to have insurance on the receivers then the insurance company may be losing money, if the insurance company is making money off of Dish then Dish is better off not getting the insurance, one would be better off than the other.

Those retailers that would offer their own lease probably offer service calls included with that as well, or some service at least, and may actually replace it if someone goes wrong with it.

The idea of insurance is to replace an unknown expense with a known one.

Without insurance, the entity might have $0 loss, or "huge" loss - depending on circumstances. The decision-makers decide if it's a good idea or not.

The insurance companies are just gamblers. They set their rates according to their calculations of what is most likely to occur.

This is why Dish would be more likely to not take out insurance on the receivers because of this (unless Dish Network done a lot of figuring knowing what their failure and loss rates were in the past and figured out a way to make off of it and made the insurance company do a long-term contract set at a certain rate)

I live in Anchorage Alaska, up here, we are stupid if we don't get some kind of earthquake insurance as a part or on top of our homeowners insurance. I'm sure that in other parts of the country, where tornados or hurricanes, tsunamis, valcanos, ect are a threat, there is, and smart people do, get similar insurance.

For a company, with millions of subscribers, to open the Pandora's box of replacing a customers equipment for free "out of the goodness of their own hearts" would be incredibly bad business and could create a precedent that could hold up in court and force them to replace any number of satellites and recievers for who knows how many victims of lightning strikes, earthquakes, heavy wind storms, theft, vandalism, or any number of things that could happen. Remember that these instances and the different possibilities of what could happen grow exponentially with how many subscribers Dish Network has.

Dish Network should be looking out for their customers, but they also need to be looking out for their investors as well. These are complex issues and are not as easy as "lets do the right thing" there are many different things that could complicate the matter.

This is what insurance is for. Make sure you read your homeowners policy and make sure you'll be covered in case of different types of disasters. If a huge earthquake strikes Anchorage tonight, my satellite and reciever will be covered, because I know my homeowners policy very well, and I made sure to get the right type of coverage.

Fuelrod said:
The place to buy Dish (or any other) satellite equipment is E-bay. Leasing is for people who are VERY slow learners. It's YOUR money. Spend it wisely.

I could say the very same thing about people who buy electronics off E-bay.

I'm seriously considering signing up for Voom. I could buy two receivers for $800, or lease them for $19 a month. Personally, I think the company will probably be out of existance in a year.

I have also read that customers with leased STBs will get them upgraded to their new HD PVR for free when they are released.

Gosh, should I lease and possibly get a free upgrade to an HDTV DVR, or pay $800 for equipment that will likely be worthless within 12 months?

Help me fuelrod, what should I do?

(Hint: People who speak in absolutes are often slow learners. Yes, there are times when leasing is a bad decision. There are times when leasing is the best option. But, making a decision that "leasing is bad" in one situation then applying it to every situation would indicate "slow learning")

I'm just now jumping in on this.. my thoughts:

If you live in Tornado Alley, you expect and prepare for tornados...
If you live in Florida/North Carolina, you expect to get hit with a hurricaine...
If you live in California, you expect earthquakes...
If you live in Southern Texas, you expect floods...

If you're too poor/cheap/dumb not to get an insurance policy to cover it, than you pay the consequences, that's why Acts of God aren't covered by Dish.

bcshields said:
I'm just now jumping in on this.. my thoughts:

If you live in Tornado Alley, you expect and prepare for tornados...
If you live in Florida/North Carolina, you expect to get hit with a hurricaine...
If you live in California, you expect earthquakes...
If you live in Southern Texas, you expect floods...

If you're too poor/cheap/dumb not to get an insurance policy to cover it, than you pay the consequences, that's why Acts of God aren't covered by Dish.

Well said!

As sorry as I feel for those poor people that got caught up in the tornado, I have to agree with E* on this one. The people that live in these areas are well aware of the tornado threat. If they don't get insurance, then it is their own fault.

Scott, from being a member of this board for so long, I can tell that you are a caring person...but if you get Claude to give free equipment to that lady in the newspaper article, what about all of the other people that had losses? Are you going to get Claude to give them all free equipment? I don't think so. E* is in the same boat. If they do it for one person, then they have to do it for everyone!

Free website publicity... even though that's not scott's aim, but it'll be beneficial to the site.

Might even test the server a bit.

Doesn't Voom's lease plan cover acts of GOD? I do know that it is more expensive at $10 per receiver vs. $6 per account with Dish Network. Dish could offer higher coverage for an additional cost if they wanted to but the customers could also have homeowner's insurance to cover that as well for probably not much more than what the additional cost Dish may have to charge, depending on what the homeowner's insurance would cost in your area.

When a company becomes too litigious, they sometimes they forget the first 2 rules of business. #1 The customer is ALWAYS right. #2 refer to rule #1

Just an update on the general state of affairs here.

1) President Bush has designated a few counties around here as Federal Disaster Areas. That will allow funds to be available to help rebuild, and also cover loses not covered by insurance.

2) The tornado has been classified as an F4 on the Fujita scale. Experts have estimated wind speeds between 206mph and 260 mph in the town of Hallam. Residents actually experienced a calm moment as the eye passes over the town. The tornado was 2 1/2 miles wide at it's widest.

The lady's satellite equipment should be covered by insurance or FEMA funds.

Here are some pictures:

http://www.journalstar.com/gallery/

http://www.burnhamford.com/our_community.htm

Dang, thats as close to a hurricane as you can get in that part of the US when you have an eye with calm weather passing over you.

WOW, is all I can say. I have never been in a tornado or experienced one in person, but that just sounds insane!

Has anybody broken the news to Dish that...
Lincoln Star Journal said:
A small satellite costs about $50.
Of course, actually getting it into geo-synchronous orbit costs hundreds of millions of dollars...

I really wish these so-called journalists would read what they write some times...