dish is swamped with calls ref. viacom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navvet

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
i just called dish after seeing the scrolling banner from viacom on tv and the csr told me they have received an overwhelming number of calls about this since the banners started rolling about losing these channels. everyone should call dish and tell them they want to keep these channels. remember, numbers speak volumes.

throughout the evening viacom has scrolled banners stating that we would be losing cbs, nick , mtv and many more, and to call dish and tell them you want to keep these channels you are paying for. i saw it on tvland and spike tv.

They broadcast these banners and only pirate boxes will show it. When everyone calls, they are routed through the Theft of Services Division.
;)

The message is on the Sat Feed as I have seen it on Cable as well as Direc TV. That will light up everybodys switch board.

If you call the DISH main number and hit option 1 you will hear a message that states that DISH is working on negotiations and that if we want to keep the channels we should call the CEO of Viacom this weekend and it gives his phone number.

So they are only broadcasting this on the uplinks to Dish Network, pretty clever on their part. Wonder if Dish will counteract by covering up those bars or maybe state something somewhere else, if that is allowed. Sounds like an all out war. Sounds like a reason for customers to call me to raise cain. Just when I got enough problems.

Thats a good way of fighting back, give the customers the Viacom number. Perhaps Dish should put their own scrolling banner across the channels with Viacom's number.

From dishnetwork.com

Stations owned by Viacom have proposed excessive rate increases we feel are unreasonable. We always strive to control costs on behalf of our customers. We continue to work tirelessly to negotiate with Viacom so you do not lose your channels.

If you desire to continue to receive your channels and would like to speak with the CEO of Viacom, Mel Karmazin, he can be reached this weekend at 212-956-1007 or during business hours at 212-975-6500.

And I have an install today... :no

Stargazer said:
So they are only broadcasting this on the uplinks to Dish Network, pretty clever on their part.

Well, they've made a bit of a goof- I just recorded an episode of Superman from TVLAND channel on my DVR... I saw the crawl too. The funny part is that I'm now a DirecTV subscriber and I have it recorded on my DirecTivo!! :shocked

Viacom will be getting a call from me, that's for sure. What a petty childish trick. I don't want my channels pulled, but I don't support the blackmail that Viacom is pulling either. Hang in there Dish, don't cave!

video62 said:
Well, they've made a bit of a goof- I just recorded an episode of Superman from TVLAND channel on my DVR... I saw the crawl too. The funny part is that I'm now a DirecTV subscriber and I have it recorded on my DirecTivo!! :shocked
While it is possible to provide a private feed from the Viacom network to E* (or any other provider to E*) it is expensive. It makes much more sense for Viacom to uplink ONE set of signals to an encrypted satellite and allow all satellite and cable providers to use the same feeds. Which means if they want to sting E* with these stupid banners, they have to annoy ALL of their viewers.

If their intent is to bog down Dish Network's 24hr Customer Service Centers with annoyance calls they better tread lightly. Viacom may end up with criminal charges against them.

JL

Stargazer said:
Wonder if Dish will counteract by covering up those bars or maybe state something somewhere else, if that is allowed. Sounds like an all out war.
The messages are being covered up now. About the bottom 40% of the screen is black.

/Benjamin

viacom should be ashamed of themselves. its one thing to want more money, who doesnt, but to go ahead and run a slate on their channels telling customers to call dish is just an attack on customer service. the customers who have issues that can be solved in a few minutes, is going to take ten times longer because of the queue with upset customers. dish should just have a channel with nothing but viacom phone numbers for upset customers to call. if vicaom gets their way, prices will have to increase every 4 months like cable.

I just saw it on MTV2...it goes through the middle of the screen

I also just saw it on Spike.......but I have that through EXPRESSVU...now Viacom is pi**ing off the canadians, too?

As much as I hate Government regulation, they usually do more harm than good, It appears that something must be done to control these costs, as well as others that are increasing well beyond the rates of inflation.

Many of these companies that provide programming OTA as well as subscription channels, sell advertising to pay for their programming, to extort Dish companies and even cable companies for more and more money, with little added value, they need to control their costs and stop ripping us off..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)