Dish just lost a high paying sub

chipvideo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
I have comcast comming out next thursday to hook me up for a free install.

Going to be paying $51 per month for the next 12 months and I get everything they have as well as either hbo or starz. I most likely will upgrade and get cinimaxhd as well for another $15.99 so I have the three best movie channels in HD. HD locals included as well as their hd pack. This price also includes the hd dvr,upgraded digital receiver and a cable card. No monthly commitment either.

Just couldn't pass up on that offer. Now I can take down my OTA antenna too.

Last edited:
Wish I could do that here in OKC. Cox doesn't carry FOX or PBS in HD, and the cost for my 2 HD receivers and 2 SD receivers for less HD is over $90/month.

I've got their flyer with offer good till 3/23. Have to admit it is tempting though I swore off cable when ATT was running the show. Lots of changes since then. Will be interested in hearing what the picture quality is like versus Dish.

cebbigh said:
I've got their flyer with offer good till 3/23. Have to admit it is tempting though I swore off cable when ATT was running the show. Lots of changes since then. Will be interested in hearing what the picture quality is like versus Dish.

Well I do know that when it was ATT in my erea ATT was laying down mega amounts of fiber along the corridor. I have been doing a test with my cable net connection just splitting it and then feeding it into my tv and the channels that are not encrypted have virtually no macroblocking while the same channels on dish have massive macroblocking. Best thing about this whole deal is you can cancel at anytime with no penalty fees. I think that they really believe they have the best looking picture with a guarantee like this. Not all is digital,but I only watch my locals and movies anyway in hd. And the wife could care less as she watches tv on a standard tv while the downstares hdtv is my domain. :D

Unfortunately here Comcast doesn't offer TNTHD and no plan in the near future. I would miss my weekly NBA games. The plus side is they do have STARZ and Cinemax. Plus when I moved in my house the previous owners hadn't turned off the cable yet and the picture was horrible. My friends have a good picture elsewhere in town, so it might be my area.

David_Levin said:
I'd leave you're OTA and dish antennas in place. You may want to come back once you get the post 1-year sticker shock.

Actually it isn't that bad after it goes up. Only goes up another $40, and I never have to worry about upgrading my equipment.

Just under $100 now with my internet and I will have 1 hddvr along with 2 hd recievers and 1 cablecard. It will only be $20 more when the full price kicks in.

Gosh right now I am paying over $100 for dish with the at180 with locals,hd,voom,hbo,show, and two extra recievers. At least with comcast I will be getting a dvr and all 3 receivers are hd and a cablecard too boot.

As far as the programming goes I will be missing nothing with comcast. I don't watch the voom,tnt or hdnet. I mainly watch locals,espn,the premium movies in HD. Plus my wife likes lifetime.

I am not moving my dish or antenae. They are in place. I can always move back to sattelite, but I have seen enough for me to believe sat is history as far as decent programming with full resolution and zero macroblocking.

I hear fiber tv is comming to my area shortly Might have to try it out as well. Heck have all three installed. I will move to what ever service has the best looking picture and the tv that I watch the most.

Last edited:
chipvideo,
sure sounds like it should work out good for you.
With Adelphia as my alternative I would be giving up way too much...sigh

yeah, I have adelphia in my area too and they are missing a few things...

Also, why can't cable rearrange their channel lineups to something more logical in digital cable? Since digital cable boxes can call any channel any number they want to anyway, why not rearrange the positions to make more sense, rather than organize them the old way by basic-extended-digitalbasic-digitialpremium, etc. Organize by content type like dish does. please.

les017 said:
chipvideo,
sure sounds like it should work out good for you.
With Adelphia as my alternative I would be giving up way too much...sigh

Well I am glad that the way the wifey, kid, and I watch our television we could go to any provider in our area and be happy. I figure that I will have dish installed and cable and I could switch back and forth in a heartbeat when needed. I will have fiber in the next few years and that would probably be the last install I will ever need. There are a few things I will be missing with going to comcast, but the picture quality is the main issue here. ALso I never had a dvr so now is the time to do it.

Cable vs Satellite

And the great news is that cable Never raises there rates so you will be set for life! "WOW":hungry:

rnesky said:
And the great news is that cable Never raises there rates so you will be set for life! "WOW":hungry:

If you factor in the prices that you have to fork out to dish to lease a receiver then it is a wash. I get a dvr for $15/month from comcast with no money up front. If I want to get a dvr from dish I have to fork out $299 upfront. The worst part is you don't own it either so you cant sell it for some money back.

You might think that dish is cheaper but when you factor in all these extra costs it is not cheaper.

If you take the two and compare over a three year peroid for the dvr it would be $450 for cox to lease the dvr and for dish it would be $299 upfront + $360 for lease for three years=$659. That is if you stay with dish for 3 years. The reason why dish is doing it is because the upfront cost is so high they figure that it wouldn't be justifialbe for most familys to switch after a year or so if they were not happy with dish. Your basically locking yourself into a contract with those high upfront costs.

Last edited:
The grass on the other side of the fence will turn brown real fast. I took a deal with Adelphia and just came back with E. The Analog channels were horrible and the digital was only slightly better. I will admit that it was nice to have locals in HD but overall I will never go back to cable.

chipvideo said:
...I will have fiber in the next few years and that would probably be the last install I will ever need...

please PM me your address and let your family know that I will be moving in with you shortly :D

Maineiac said:
The grass on the other side of the fence will turn brown real fast. I took a deal with Adelphia and just came back with E. The Analog channels were horrible and the digital was only slightly better. I will admit that it was nice to have locals in HD but overall I will never go back to cable.
Actually, it depends on where you are, whether your provider has an IQ higher than a donkey.

I regularly switched customers from cable to Dish - because our local cable company is worthless. OTOH, the E* HD fiasco is causing plenty of people down the mountain to be looking at their options.

In fact, I'm not going to be pushing Dish any more - at least not under the current HD terms. :mad:

Hey - D* raised their commissions, and E* CUT theirs - screw Charlie!

chipvideo said:
If you factor in the prices that you have to fork out to dish to lease a receiver then it is a wash. I get a dvr for $15/month from comcast with no money up front. If I want to get a dvr from dish I have to fork out $299 upfront. The worst part is you don't own it either so you cant sell it for some money back.
You might think that dish is cheaper but when you factor in all these extra costs it is not cheaper.
If you take the two and compare over a three year peroid for the dvr it would be $450 for cox to lease the dvr and for dish it would be $299 upfront + $360 for lease for three years=$659. That is if you stay with dish for 3 years. The reason why dish is doing it is because the upfront cost is so high they figure that it wouldn't be justifialbe for most familys to switch after a year or so if they were not happy with dish. Your basically locking yourself into a contract with those high upfront costs.

That's all subjective to what the person's personal setup is. I live in Central Comcast Country (Southeast PA) and they are nothing but pure evil. Their digital pricing is outrageous, and given the reception that my friend gets (for digital nonetheless), I would never touch Comcast with someone else's money!

There is no way I could get the channels and the HD content I'm getting from DN on Comcast for an even comparable price. So I wish you luck, and I'm glad for your area there was a reasonable alternative. But beware of anything bearing the mark of the beast - Comcast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts